High School Tournaments

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I see that Jr. Amanda Zimmerman is doing well and the Ballard team is in the state 3A tournament.
Sr. Ashley Arlen's Cascade didn't make it, if I read the bracket right. Does anyone have info on her year? She's listed as a 6'1" front line player - sure could use another good one. A Miss Basketball candidate?
Alexis Yackley and Sully Buttes continue to win in SD and have a Region Championship game tonight. I found a story (below) on the District Championship game. Sounds like they value the ball. 9 to's and 21 assists and 12 steals for the team.
I've found very little info on Whitney Williams (Homepage below) - a very good season for her very short team with national tournament next month in Oklahoma City.

It looks like we've got a couple of good pg candidates coming in next year.

AberdeenNews.com

RIDERS GIRLS BASKETBALL | 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Arlen goes to my alma mater, Cascade. I've been back a few times and watched their varsity girls play. She's a dominant player in Class 2A. Twice when I watched her play she outscored the other team, by herself. I'm not sure about Miss Basketball, though. She's very good at running the floor and would do well in a transition style offense. She's quicker than any of the other post players she faces. Only issues is that she makes dumb fouls and takes herself out of the game at times, but that's nothing coaching can't fix.

From what my parents tell me they lost to Monticello in the sub-state final because Monticello got crazy hot from 3. Apparently, the exact same thing happened last year.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My bad, wrong round of the tournament. I knew they lost to Monti, I guess I assumed since Monti made it to state that it was in the sub-state final.

That Cascade team has broken a lot of records. They have a few starter's that will be playing collegiate ball. Point guard Llana Otting is going to Upper Iowa, Arlen to ISU, and I think one more player has committed to DIII. It's too bad they weren't ever able to make it pasted the district tourney.

I should mention that having that many players play basketball beyond high school is a big deal for Cascade. A very small school which doesn't produce a lot of talent beyond high school. I think the only DI player it produced before Arlen was Craig Callahan who led UNC-Wilmington to a second round (maybe sweet 16?) appearance a few years ago.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I should mention that having that many players play basketball beyond high school is a big deal for Cascade. A very small school which doesn't produce a lot of talent beyond high school. I think the only DI player it produced before Arlen was Craig Callahan who led UNC-Wilmington to a second round (maybe sweet 16?) appearance a few years ago.

You're missing a pretty obvious one. Greg McDermott played for UNI! :wink:

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You're missing a pretty obvious one. Greg McDermott played for UNI! :wink:

Oh yeah, duh to me! I guess I forget about him because he played for UNI long before I was ever interested in basketball. I've heard really great things about Coach McD. and his relation to people in Cascade. I've heard several stories of him inviting friends from Cascade over to his house for drinks after ISU games.

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah, from what I've read about the incoming recruits it looks like they'll be good additions to the team next year. Normally I would say that Arlen should redshirt seeing as we'll have four seniors in the front-court (that are presumably ahead of her in talent at this point), but as they're all seniors and won't be returning the following year I think we have to get her some playing experience.

It sounds like Yackley is a true PG with a nose for winning that has been dominating South Dakota basketball since her freshman year. Perhaps she'll be able to allow Lacey to slide over to the 2 or 3 at times next year?

I, too, haven't heard a lot about Williams either (as she's home-schooled), but apparently she's a great shooter and we can never get enough of those in Ames! :wink:

fulll02

Apr 17, 2006
Des Moines
In between game two and three of yesterday's morning session, I saw both Jodie Steyer and Amy Stephens (Drake Head Coach) walking through the Wells Fargo Arena. No real point here, I just thought it was interesting.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
I would speculate that most future D-1 prospects are playing in the tournament - its a good prospecting opportunity; also, a chance to renew coach contacts.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
Ashley Arlen will get lots of consideration for "Miss Iowa Basketball" because she has a scolarship to the No. 1 program in the state. The coach in that program has his choice and usually takes the best player in Iowa. Re: Kelsey Bolte, Shelly Mossman, werent they both Miss Iowa Bball?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Shellie was Miss Iowa BBall in 2006.

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
If Arlen does get it then that would be three in a row (and I'd guess Zimmerman has a fair chance at it next year as well)...Fennelly has done a great job over the years of keeping Iowa HS talent in-state.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
If Arlen does get it then that would be three in a row (and I'd guess Zimmerman has a fair chance at it next year as well)...Fennelly has done a great job over the years of keeping Iowa HS talent in-state.

BF thinks Arlen is the best BB player in the 2008 class. I think we all trust his judgment. :smile:

fulll02

Apr 17, 2006
Des Moines
I don't have a link, but Jennifer Jorgensen of SE Webster Grand won Miss Iowa Basketball this year. (From my HSBB tournament program - she is going to University of Pacific. She ended her career as the Iowa's number 2 scorer behind Deb Remmerde.)

This might have been mentioned earlier but Kelly Krei of Iowa City High, won the Iowa Gatorade player of the year. I don't have a link for that one either.

These were both announced several days ago, I would have posted them earlier, but I'm a little superstitious and don't post much when the Twister Sisters are in action.

ISU_REV

Apr 21, 2006
I don't have a link, but Jennifer Jorgensen of SE Webster Grand won Miss Iowa Basketball this year. (From my HSBB tournament program - she is going to University of Pacific. She ended her career as the Iowa's number 2 scorer behind Deb Remmerde.)

How can the player with the most assists have stats like the ones that were recorded? At least 7 games for that team this year had false assist stats. 4 games had more assists listed then field goals. 3 other times had a player with more assists listed then her teammates had field goals. High school stats are not official and should either not be listed as records or should be verified to at least be possible.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
How can the player with the most assists have stats like the ones that were recorded? At least 7 games for that team this year had false assist stats. 4 games had more assists listed then field goals. 3 other times had a player with more assists listed then her teammates had field goals. High school stats are not official and should either not be listed as records or should be verified to at least be possible.

Is the official scorer missing teeth from taking a hockey puck to the mouth? Maybe the scorer thinks it hockey with multiple assists per goal.:wink: