Monte Morris

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Can't say enough good things about this guy. 7 points, 4 assists, 1 rebound and 4 steals in 28 minutes of play, with 0 turnovers. That is just remarkable. My favorite lineup so far is Monte at the point, Kane at the two, with Hogue, Ejim and Niang. Seems like when MM comes in, the turnaround from the slow start begins. I'm not among the crowd calling for Thomas to be benched, but I think Monte has earned a starting spot.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
IMO, we are looking pretty good with MM at the point next year. Hopefully Fred can land an aggressive scoring 2-guard for next year. If not RV, then a juco or transfer. Naz and Matt are fine players, but they are role players on a team that could challenge for a league title, IMO. Maybe they will make drastic improvements between now and then, but I'd rather not role the dice.

McKay will hopefully add to our depth and versatility down low next year.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Can't say enough good things about this guy. 7 points, 4 assists, 1 rebound and 4 steals in 28 minutes of play, with 0 turnovers. That is just remarkable. My favorite lineup so far is Monte at the point, Kane at the two, with Hogue, Ejim and Niang. Seems like when MM comes in, the turnaround from the slow start begins. I'm not among the crowd calling for Thomas to be benched, but I think Monte has earned a starting spot.

Looks like you are among that crowd. But like many have said, it's not ripping on Thomas, Morris earned it.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
Agreed, he was a bright spot yesterday and looking forward to watching him develop.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Monte is going to be a real good one. Really impressive how much he is improving week by week. Also the perfect situation where he doesn't have a ton of pressure on him and can learn from a veteran in Kane.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I'm coming from the perspective that Morris has earned the shot rather than Thomas has lost the position if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense to me. Fred tried to shake up Thomas' routine last night, and I think we'll see more of that in the future.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
MM looks like he's sprung out of a cannon on the fast breaks. His court awareness, speed and passing ability reminds me of blalock.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Matt still needs to pull the trigger a little quicker, but I'm sure that will come as he gains some more confidence.

He was hitting EVERYTHING in the halftime warmups. I thought for sure he was going to go off. He looked better than I've seen him in a while.

But back to the OP, Morris has certainly earned the time. He's playing very well right now.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
I'm coming from the perspective that Morris has earned the shot rather than Thomas has lost the position if that makes sense.

He will be tremendous before he is done.

But his main value is getting to watch the pace of the game, and then come in and give us a different look, moving Kane off the ball.

I didn't like that Naz started last night, I think Fred may have panicked a bit with Matt's shooting slump.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

But his main value is getting to watch the pace of the game, and then come in and give us a different look, moving Kane off the ball.

I didn't like that Naz started last night, I think Fred may have panicked a bit with Matt's shooting slump.

It didn't work for Naz either but I had no problem with the decision.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I don't think anything has to do with Thomas' shooting slump. If he didn't start it was either A) because he is far too tentative or B) Not hustling back after the turnover in the Oklahoma game. I would have benched him just for that.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Anyone else notice the slow Euro-step Monte pulled last night in transition? There's a move he sure seems to have picked up from Kane that will help him in the future.

Get Tinsley back to teach Monte his spin move and he'll be unstoppable!