New proposed Ames convention center...

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
the $5 is just an average. It's actually a 5.3% rate hike for all residents and businesses.

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
Oh, it needs 60% of support. If opposition does arise, the 60% might be difficult to attain.

Where would this complex be located?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Does Ames really have big conventions they are missing out on? There is no where for attendees to stay in Ames, so they will have to stay in DSM anyway. Why not just have convention there?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Every decent sized city in the US says they need a convention center because they are losing business, so I figured Ames wouldn't feel anything different.
$32 million sees like a lot for a convention center. That much will pay for a state of the art school now with classrooms, athletics, parking lot. You would think this would be a little cheaper than that.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Every decent sized city in the US says they need a convention center because they are losing business, so I figured Ames wouldn't feel anything different.
$32 million sees like a lot for a convention center. That much will pay for a state of the art school now with classrooms, athletics, parking lot. You would think this would be a little cheaper than that.

That seems pretty cheap, the city of CR just built a facility near the same size. They also renovated the arena and hotel for a price tag of around $160 million. The city bonded around $90 million of the cost, except they didn't ask voters

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

But Ames is not a decent sized city, it is a small city. Students are not going to be attending conventions, so a town of 25k cannot support a convention center. Other than ISU, there are no employers in Ames that would need facilities this size.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Convention centers are the city fashion equivalent to knee high boots for women. You have to have one because everyone else does. There are probably already more convention centers that there are conventions in the state of Iowa. I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems like sort of a head scratcher.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
But Ames is not a decent sized city, it is a small city. Students are not going to be attending conventions, so a town of 25k cannot support a convention center. Other than ISU, there are no employers in Ames that would need facilities this size.

The Gateway has good convention space for a city the size if Ames, IMO. Larger conventions won't come to Ames when there are not enough hotels and you have a 45 minute drive to the nearest airport.

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
Ames continues to look dumb by building in the floodplain. Mother nature always wins...

Reading is hard..."It would be connected to the north side of the Scheman building and elevated over its parking lot to be flush with the building's ground floor and stay out of the flood plain."

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Reading is hard..."It would be connected to the north side of the Scheman building and elevated over its parking lot to be flush with the building's ground floor and stay out of the flood plain."

I understand why they want it connected to Schemann, but that seems like a lot of work and money for something they could build out of the flood plain.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
This won't pass anyway. Ames residents won't vote this through, and its a dumb idea.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
If ti passes will depend somewhat on the downtown business groups wants. If they want it they will work to get it but if not they will work against it like they did on the proposed mall on I35 north.