Directv HD DVR

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
OK, got this thing and life is good. Two questions:

1. Can I hook up the DVR to my wireless network? Wireless ethernet bridge?

2. Why would I want to?

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
There really isn't any network ability other than a means to update it and the beta from the above poster. I thought the same thing with my dads. It would be nice to be able to pull the videos from the dvr and burn to discs. Hopefully they allow this in the future.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have one of my 2 networked via internet powerline. Video on demand is overrated in my book but I think there are some other things coming around that will make it worthwhile. For example they are working on the ability to share content with other DVR's in the house.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Currently the only think I'm aware it's good for is the VOD, unless you've got a modded box.

I have a modded DTivo downstairs that I can pull shows off of and stick on my computer/DVD/whatever.

This isn't an advertised capability from DirecTV, though, and requires some amount of work on behalf of the user.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'd be interested in learning what this amount of work is. :)

Have an HR20 with a couple ISU FB games on there. Had to delete one of them as I was running out of room. Would like to copy the others off before I have to delete them.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Does anyone know of good deals on the DirecTV HD DVR? I'm thinking of getting one with the tax return.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Call them right now. I just got a flier yesterday that they are having a special through March 4, but I already have it.
special claims it is 39.99/month with taxes and fees on top of it for America's top 100.
Number on the flier is 888-265-6885

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Does anyone know of good deals on the DirecTV HD DVR? I'm thinking of getting one with the tax return.

It depends if you're a current customer or not.

If you're not a current customer I would think you could get one for free.

I'm a customer and I just ordered one a couple of weeks ago. $200 but they game me $10 off my bill for a year. I didn't try real hard. It's my second HR20 in the house. I was suprised they sent me an HR20 (w/ota) and not the HR21.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm a customer and I just ordered one a couple of weeks ago. $200 but they game me $10 off my bill for a year. I didn't try real hard. It's my second HR20 in the house. I was suprised they sent me an HR20 (w/ota) and not the HR21.

That's awesome that you got an HR20! :)

Part of me is wanting to get one now while they still have some and keep it around until I upgrade our bedroom to HD.

On the other side of it, I really should only need one DVR if I network things correctly. Do the regular HD boxes come with an OTA input?

matmann22

Dec 31, 2007
Pleasant Hill
matmann22.spaces.live.com
OK, got this thing and life is good. Two questions:

1. Can I hook up the DVR to my wireless network? Wireless ethernet bridge?

2. Why would I want to?

The only way you can use your wireless network is if you find a network antenna (I'm sure there is a better word) into the top Ethernet port on the back of the box. I saw a lot of complaints and suggestions on the DirecTV support forums about this but I never tried it.

I ran the old standby Cat 5 ethernet from the DSL Modem to the box.

I'll second that it is kinda slow.

IMHO, the programming choices are numerous but not that good. The 'search' feature doesn't help much either...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I downloaded an HD movie from the DirecTV movies on demand Sunday night. I think I started it around 4 or 5 on Saturday. By the time I went to bed, around 11 - it was only 20ish% done if I recall correctly. It was done when I looked the next morning.

Granted, it was HD and I have DSL - but it certainly should not take that long. There's a reason it's still in beta.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I need to finally pull the plug and do it. I have Hr10-250's still and am going to have to upgrade them at some point. I wanted to wait for the single wire dual tuner switches since thyey are right around the corner.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
That's awesome that you got an HR20! :)

Part of me is wanting to get one now while they still have some and keep it around until I upgrade our bedroom to HD.

On the other side of it, I really should only need one DVR if I network things correctly. Do the regular HD boxes come with an OTA input?

Yes they do. At least the H20s do.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006

Yeah I'm a current customer and have been for a few years now. But I have never had DVR or HD service. I see the HD20 for $300 everywhere. So, they deal on the phone?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I downloaded an HD movie from the DirecTV movies on demand Sunday night. I think I started it around 4 or 5 on Saturday. By the time I went to bed, around 11 - it was only 20ish% done if I recall correctly. It was done when I looked the next morning.

Granted, it was HD and I have DSL - but it certainly should not take that long. There's a reason it's still in beta.

I am not completely sure on the file size that you are downloading, but a blue ray disk holds 30 gb's of info so an HD movie download could be very large.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah I'm a current customer and have been for a few years now. But I have never had DVR or HD service. I see the HD20 for $300 everywhere. So, they deal on the phone?

Yes, especially if you're not under contract with them and have the ability to take your ball and go home. :)

A little over a year ago - I got my HR20 by paying $150 I think with a $10 credit on my bill for 12 or 15 months - can't recall the specifics.

But - the point is I virtually paid nothing for the box.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

The HR20 and 21 dropped by $100 a few weeks ago. I believe you can also buy them at Costco for around $180. To get any kind of deal you need to call them and then they'll probably give you the $10 off per month deal.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you call the directv phone number and say "cancel" you'll get to the retention area which seems to have the most power to deal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron