The next Mayor?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Frankly I thought that they just said that cause he's a white guy about the same size who can shoot the three. I haven't seen the same level of athleticism out of Thomas yet.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Frankly I thought that they just said that cause he's a white guy about the same size who can shoot the three. I haven't seen the same level of athleticism out of Thomas yet.

^This^ Also, they are/were both so fundamentally sound. Absolutely perfect form on their shot.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Found it in another CF thread (40 second mark)

[video=youtube;awNBdVM59vQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awNBdVM59vQ[/video]

I love the 100 years of ISU Basketball that Cy.tv has been playing for a while. I know it has been out for some time, but it is great tv when no game is on.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There are some similarities but their style of play as freshmen are pretty different. A lot of people forget that Fred was just a 26% 3 point shooter in his first year (13/50).

So, you are saying that at comparable points in their careers, Thomas is a better 3-point shooter than Hoiberg! Nice!

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
If Matt is squared up with feet set, it's almost a guarantee it will go in. He's not as consistent running off screens and hitting them.. Yet.

At this point 6 games is, I compare him to a junior year thug life Scotty C

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
only took matt 6 games to make more three's than fred did in his entire frosh year.

completely different players, but they are both white and muscular.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
He won't be "The Mayor." Bu I do love the way he plays and his shooting stroke. It's a plus that he always has a few assists and rebounds to add. It looks to me like his defense is improving also. He does not seem to make many mistakes.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Since he is from Wisconsin I'd say "Mayor" is s a stretch. He may achieve Diplomatic Ambassador status though at some point.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
It amazes me that Thomas and Morris can be so young but already play the game with more IQ than some of our seniors from last year. Those guys had so much talent, but didn't understand how to let the game come to them. Monte and Matt almost always make the right play.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Any of those 3 (Bubu, Barnes, McDermott) could have been close but I don't think they could have equaled Fred.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Ross Marsden. :jimlad: (no offense to Ross, though)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It amazes me that Thomas and Morris can be so young but already play the game with more IQ than some of our seniors from last year. Those guys had so much talent, but didn't understand how to let the game come to them. Monte and Matt almost always make the right play.

Overall, I agree with your thought about their BB IQs. However, they do need to work on bringing the ball up against the press.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
The thing with Matt is that he barely makes any mistakes or stupid passes/plays. Last night when he got the ball in the wing, he could of shot a 3 but did a pump fake drove the lane and caused the interior defense to close in on him and hit Niang in stride for a easy layup, that's a awesome play out of a freshman.

He is very solid and built. He'll only get stronger after a year of lifting too. Honestly think he could average 16-18 ppg by his junior/senior year. Monte and Matt do not play like freshman at all. They could be one of the best point guard-guard combos in the big 12 in a few years. Maybe like a Stinson-Blalock duo in terms of production

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I love Matt's game, it is just solid all around. We all knew about his jumpshot, but his ability to put the ball on the floor and his decision making has been great as well. I've also been impressed by his ability to rebound in traffice. During the BYU game, and on a few other occasions since then, he has been able to collect some difficult rebounds in traffic. If anything, I'd like to see him more confident in shooting from 3. I think he is still passing up some shots I imagine Fred would want him taking.

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fred's pro career colors how his college career is remembered. Fred was such a complete player. His junior year he averaged over 20 pts, and nearly 4 assists and 7 rebounds a game. That's more assists than Holloway averaged. That's more boards than 6'10" Michalik averaged. He shot the most FT on the team, not because he was getting fouled on spot-up threes but because he was driving.

I like Matt and I really hope he turns out to be like Fred. But, like Scotty before him, I feel like our white shooters always get compared to Fred rather than the players who really should. If anyone on this team should be compared to Fred, it's Kane (points, assists and rebounds). But you'll probably never hear that comparison...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I was most impressed with the shots he knocked down at clutch times against BYU. Very poised for a freshman.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fred's pro career colors how his college career is remembered. Fred was such a complete player. His junior year he averaged over 20 pts, and nearly 4 assists and 7 rebounds a game. That's more assists than Holloway averaged. That's more boards than 6'10" Michalik averaged. He shot the most FT on the team, not because he was getting fouled on spot-up threes but because he was driving.

I like Matt and I really hope he turns out to be like Fred. But, like Scotty before him, I feel like our white shooters always get compared to Fred rather than the players who really should. If anyone on this team should be compared to Fred, it's Kane (points, assists and rebounds). But you'll probably never hear that comparison...

Completely agree. Fred also could play the point, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with Thomas at the point in a pinch at this time.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The most impressive thing about Matt was that he was able to jump on the floor and contribute in ways other than just a shooter. Both Thomas and Morris look solid so far but we wont really know what we have them IMO until big 12 play. Things do look good though, we should have a very versatile 8 man rotation going in to conference play, thats more than Fred has had at his disposal in the past.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron