The next Mayor?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fred's pro career colors how his college career is remembered. Fred was such a complete player. His junior year he averaged over 20 pts, and nearly 4 assists and 7 rebounds a game. That's more assists than Holloway averaged. That's more boards than 6'10" Michalik averaged. He shot the most FT on the team, not because he was getting fouled on spot-up threes but because he was driving.

I like Matt and I really hope he turns out to be like Fred. But, like Scotty before him, I feel like our white shooters always get compared to Fred rather than the players who really should. If anyone on this team should be compared to Fred, it's Kane (points, assists and rebounds). But you'll probably never hear that comparison...

I agree with this. Matt is a good player but Fred was a way better athlete. Fred was a lot quicker and could jump better. Its not that Matt isn't athletic but he just isn't in Freds league. Freds shooting came a little later where Matt has the shooting now. I'm just glad we have both of them.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Since he is from Wisconsin I'd say "Mayor" is s a stretch. He may achieve Diplomatic Ambassador status though at some point.

It would be easier for the fans to go the route of playing off of the "Recall Walker" campaign for Wisconsin governor. It would be simple to make signs with "Recall Walker" and plaster a picture of Matt Thomas on it with the slogan "Thomas For Governor!". That ties in both the "Mayor" theme for Hoiberg and the State of Wisconsin for Thomas.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Playing style, he sure seems like he could be. However, if you asked the crowd, it'd probably be Ellerman

actually, not really. Fred was not an outside shooter as a freshmen. He was a slasher, and got buckets off of offensive rebounds. He didn't become a shooter until his junior year. So right now their playing styles as freshmen are nothing alike.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
There is no next Mayor, but Matt will be outstanding. He'll be good enough to stand on his own without a comparison that puts him in Fred's shadow.

I would argue that THE Mayor is currently raising two of them. The Mayor bolts to the NBA after his sons (Deputy Mayor/Chief of Staff?) leads the Mayors team to back to back NC's. The reason he leave's is to draft his sons and coach them in the NBA.

Mmmmmm....kool-aid is GOOOD

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Since he is from Wisconsin I'd say "Mayor" is s a stretch. He may achieve Diplomatic Ambassador status though at some point.

"The Ambassador" is a great nickname! Maybe, however, we should keep it in our back pocket for the next time we have an international player.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Two different players. Just because they are both white and can shoot doesn't mean they are similiar. Fred's game was more of an athletic wing than a shooter.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The most impressive thing about Matt was that he was able to jump on the floor and contribute in ways other than just a shooter. Both Thomas and Morris look solid so far but we wont really know what we have them IMO until big 12 play. Things do look good though, we should have a very versatile 8 man rotation going in to conference play, thats more than Fred has had at his disposal in the past.

Thomas makes some very nice, strong moves along the baseline as guys come out on him.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Fred had 13 3-pointers in his freshman year, Thomas has 14 in 6 games.

Danger

Apr 11, 2006
I would argue that THE Mayor is currently raising two of them. The Mayor bolts to the NBA after his sons (Deputy Mayor/Chief of Staff?) leads the Mayors team to back to back NC's. The reason he leave's is to draft his sons and coach them in the NBA.

Mmmmmm....kool-aid is GOOOD

Fred is only raising 2 sons?! Who's raising the 3rd one? :wideeyed:

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
He has a beautiful 3 point shot like Fred, but by this time his freshman year, Fred also had more of an inside game and was dunking on the fast break. Fred was clearly an NBA type gaurd. No question that Matt will be a great one, but please stop with the Fred comparisons.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I'm not big on nicknames, but it seems his teammates call him Iceman. I believe that is his twitter name as well.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I agree with this. Matt is a good player but Fred was a way better athlete. Fred was a lot quicker and could jump better. Its not that Matt isn't athletic but he just isn't in Freds league. Freds shooting came a little later where Matt has the shooting now. I'm just glad we have both of them.

Agreed.