If we fire Messingham what type of OC could we get?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
My first choice would be go to SMU OC Hal Mumme the innovator of the Air Raid and give him what he wants. Would he leave SMU as OC to become our OC? If Sage could be a QB coach and learn under Mumme that would be fantastic.

Mike Mangino would be an option. Would he leave a head coaching job at Youngstown State?

Who else would be on your wish list and is it likely that we could pull them in?

I think I would also be fine with Chuck Long as OC, but I don't know how that would sit with some Cyclone Fans.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Mangino is not head coach at Youngstown State. I suspect he would leave for OC but I don't think he is an option. Too much negative history.

Not impressed with Chuck Long and we don't need the Hayden Fry stink back in Ames.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One that brings talent in, and uses it wisely. Maybe even do things where one play compliments/leads to others.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Someone boring that believes it all starts with the line. We are never going to outgun teams like TT, Baylor, etc. Our best hope is to play like KSU.

Reactions: iowast8fan

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Mangino is not head coach at Youngstown State. I suspect he would leave for OC but I don't think he is an option. Too much negative history.

Not impressed with Chuck Long and we don't need the Hayden Fry stink back in Ames.

You are right he is their TE's coach or something my bad. What negative history are you speaking of?

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
My first choice would be go to SMU OC Hal Mumme the innovator of the Air Raid and give him what he wants. Would he leave SMU as OC to become our OC? If Sage could be a QB coach and learn under Mumme that would be fantastic.

Mike Mangino would be an option. Would he leave a head coaching job at Youngstown State?

Who else would be on your wish list and is it likely that we could pull them in?

I think I would also be fine with Chuck Long as OC, but I don't know how that would sit with some Cyclone Fans.

How about Nick Saban or Mark Richt.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Someone boring that believes it all starts with the line. We are never going to outgun teams like TT, Baylor, etc. Our best hope is to play like KSU.

I just think it's funny you mention two teams who came from nothing to have offensive success. They can do it, but we can't. Also, Indiana has done it, Wazzou will do it, Missouri has done it, KU has done it. All with spreads. How many teams like KSU can you find who have poor history but have overcome. It should also be noted that in Snyders first stint, his system wasn't all that different than everyone elses.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Does it matter? We've had 4 different OC's in recent memory and we've ran the same hurry-up look at the side line zone read bull **** with every one.

It must be some unwritten rule of what offensive system to run at Iowa State somewhere.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I just think it's funny you mention two teams who came from nothing to have offensive success. They can do it, but we can't. Also, Indiana has done it, Wazzou will do it, Missouri has done it, KU has done it. All with spreads. How many teams like KSU can you find who have poor history but have overcome. It should also be noted that in Snyders first stint, his system wasn't all that different than everyone elses.

Indiana 3-5, WSU 4-5, KU 2-6, and mu 8-1.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Does it matter? We've had 4 different OC's in recent memory and we've ran the same hurry-up look at the side line zone read bull **** with every one.

It must be some unwritten rule of what offensive system to run at Iowa State somewhere.

How do you propose we get plays in.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron