Deandre Kane takes the shoes off his feet and gives them to a homeless man.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
This doesn't surprise me, I knew Dre was a good guy after he wrote this letter to Marshall in their paper last Spring

DeAndre Kane reflects, calls Huntington his second home | The Herald-Dispatch

Dear Huntington,Thank you, thank you, and thank you. Although I'm excited and blessed to have the opportunity to play for coach Fred Hoiberg and Iowa State, it's very difficult to leave Huntington -- the only other place I've ever called home besides Pittsburgh.
I've been here for a long four years now and I'm glad to call this my second home, and that will never change. Over the years I've grown up a whole bunch in all ways of life. I used to always think that basketball was everything, but after working with my teachers, coaches, and new family here in Huntington, I now realize that life is much more.
Coming from where I come from sometimes the end of the road is high school if you're lucky enough to make it that far and your path could be chosen for you after that. It took a while for me to see that and with the support the city has given me through the ups and downs I appreciate my education experience and struggles that I've learned from here that much more.
I know that things didn't end here the way I wanted them too and I apologize for not leading the team to the NCAA Tournament because this city deserves it. What I do promise though is to bring something back to this community better than a basketball championship -- hope and fun for the kids. Whether I play pro basketball or just become a business man, I'll continue to contribute to the youth in this area once I get my career.
Thanks to Marshall University and the Athletic Department for giving me my first college opportunity. Thanks to the coaching staff that helped me through the years develop as a player and thank you to all of my teammates. I wish my brothers good luck next season and hope they can bring the C-USA title home.
I came here as a boy with only the NBA on my mind, had some setbacks and lost my dad who was and will always be my best friend. I'm leaving here as a man who learned from mistakes and adversity, will earn a degree, a new drive that will make me a better person off the court and ready to reach my dreams I promised my dad. Thanks for everything Huntington, I'll be back and you'll always have a special place in my heart.
Love,
DeAndre Kane

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
They get free basketball shoes, for games, not the ones they wear causally. If they were Jordan's then they weren't exactly cheap shoes either.

Partially true I thought.

I think they get shoes for various activities related to basketball, running, weight lifting, game shoes, practice shoes. So yeah, are they "casual shoes"? No. But they surely can get a pair of running shoes or low tops from the equipment supply guy.

Cyclonestv had a bit on this a while ago. (albeit on the football team) That basically they have large room with moveable racks full of various types of shoes for the athletes.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Still great of Kane to do that, I would say it's a safe bet the Jordan's didn't come from the equipment room.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
We all still agree that it was a kind and generous act by Kane and speaks well of his character.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Since all the low income housing had been constructed over that past 2-3-4 years there are a lot more homeless people and a steady increase in crime in Ames. However Wal-Mart sales have managed to increase.

I hope you're joking and not just being an ignorant moron.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Good for him. I really like that this wasn't some big newspaper article or publicity stunt type of thing.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Since all the low income housing had been constructed over that past 2-3-4 years there are a lot more homeless people and a steady increase in crime in Ames. However Wal-Mart sales have managed to increase.

... that makes a lot of sense

UraMallas

Jan 9, 2013
Another thing I like about the story is that it *seems* like Naz and Man Man might have been with him. That's a really good example for a 24-year-old young man to set for 18 and 19-year-olds. I hope they took that act to heart.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Are there actually crime statistics to back this up? Ames seems pretty damn safe to me.

Parts of SE Iowa City and SE Cedar Rapids are gangland. In CR's defense, some of the wealthiest CR folks and elaborate properties also are on the SE side.

Used to ride my bike and walk home from grade school in the old days in se CR. Never had a single problem in 8 years. walked home a mile from bb practice in the dark too.

Now? there are shootings during a WEEKDAY where I used to walk.

good lord you need to get out more

plus the media WILL NOT address the problem.....too scared and politically correct....yes--there are stats to back it up.... it's unf-ing believable

Last edited:

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Hey did you hear DK gave his shoes to a homeless man? At this point, pretty sorry I brought up Iowa City....didn't want to turn this into a discussion on violent crime in eastern Iowa. Although I think it's a problem...I think we could discuss it in another thread...not the one where an ISU athlete did a nice deed...

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Let a homeless man live on my porch for a month junior year. His name was mike and he played guitar on welch for money. Walking home from bar we told him he could stay there for guitar lessons. I still can't play guitar.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Ya crapids has changed in the 12 years I've lived here. I work at an elementary school and would guess 30% of kids there are single parent homes, because the dad is in prison or is gang banging. The rest are probably hovering near or below the poverty line. That being said Deandre did a great thing and I love hearing about **** like this.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Let a homeless man live on my porch for a month junior year. His name was mike and he played guitar on welch for money. Walking home from bar we told him he could stay there for guitar lessons. I still can't play guitar.

Used to be one who would come and pick up cans out of our lawn...darned if there didn't end up being a whole bunch of beer cans there every weekend. One time he picks one up and says...hey, this is full...I realized that it was one that broke open...case split, cans fell out, one popped a leak and I left it there (hands full)...I told him not to drink it, he wouldn't listen, tipped his head back for a huge gulp...and spit it halfway across the yard and started gagging.