Talk of talent and recruiting

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It will be interesting to compare olines and dlines since the talent level was projected about the same between the two teams. It will be bad if we get pushed around.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
K-State recruiting

2013: 23 commits... 6 JuCo
2012: 26 commits... 6 JuCo
2011: 34 commits... 8 JuCo, 3 Transfers
2010: 28 commits... 12 JuCo, 2 Tranfers
2009: 32 commits... 8 JuCo, 3 Transfers

Plus they seem to recruit a TON of late qualifiers. Not exactly sure what that means but it would seem they are taking a chance on risky signees. (4 LQ in 2009, 5 in 2010, 5 in 2011, 7 in 2012, 4 in 2013)

For comparison, we signed 22 JuCo players during the same time (2009-2013), 0 transfers and 1 LQ (Nick Kron). This is all according to ESPN.

Risky Signees...Not Really...It reminds me of an article in the KC Star where the Chancellor of KState promised billy bob Snyder that he would see that bill's recruits would stay eligible....this after billy bob Snyder stated that it wouldn't do any good to recruit good or better football players if they just flunked out of school.

This KState turnaround did not just come from the athletic dept and bill snynder It came from the upper administration who got tremendous pressure from the alums and the few donor fans they had when Snyder showed up at manhattan ks.

Go Clones Lets Bury the Mildcats!

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Take the composite average # of stars for each service for each player. That is their composite rating. Rivals is a low outlier for ISU in 2013 and 2014. I took the composite average of each team. Those are the numbers. PS - My numbers are for 2013 not 14. In 14' our composite average is higher (2.93*). Sorry the facts don't fit your "no talent" narrative.

I don't know how you did your analysis but it is wrong.
each service uses a different ratings system si it is better to look at them individually an see where ISU is ranked in each One.
A quick glance at the different sites shows ISU either 8, 9, or 10th in the big 12 for several years in a row. And many times they have the lowest avg ranking of recruits.

Taking a look at 2013 and 2014 ISU is ranked 9th in most services but in some instances they have the lowest avg they just have signed more recruits.

Talent defeciency. Fact

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
This just isn't true. Our current team is very talented. As I've said many times before talent doesn't mean good execution. Talent and experience mean good execution. Just because you have talent doesn't mean you are automatically a good player. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand this.
What evidence suggests we have talent? Out side of bundrage, I don't see it. Why are you so convinced? Talented teams win more than just once no matter the coaching.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
each service uses a different ratings system si it is better to look at them individually an see where ISU is ranked in each One.
A quick glance at the different sites shows ISU either 8, 9, or 10th in the big 12 for several years in a row. And many times they have the lowest avg ranking of recruits.

Taking a look at 2013 and 2014 ISU is ranked 9th in most services but in some instances they have the lowest avg they just have signed more recruits.

Talent defeciency. Fact

I believe the ratings weight positions (as they should a 5* qb is more important to a class than a 5* star punter). So if you sign a 2* qb it will have more of a negative weight.

I simply averaged each teams composite star ratings of all their signees (per 247). Those are the averages, I am not wrong. We are just talking about different things. Yes there is a talent deficiency but it is improving. That was my point and there is clear evidence of that The ratings are good because they also show us our deficiencies grow when looking at skill positions.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013

Talent defeciency. Fact

This kind of hits my point. I know I'm not a "meta-analyst", but I do know that if you are ranked 8th, 9th or 10th in every service for several years in a row, you can't average a rank of 6th overall as Stubborn suggests.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You can continue to look at star rankings, but I'm going to go by the eye test. Based on that, I like what I see out of some of our young guys. Especially in the receiving core, I think we have a few real solid recievers and a few game-breakers. The O-line guys are gaining experience and getting better each week. Rogers and Tribune have struggled, but you can see the ability there.

Aside from the Baylor game, I just don't see our guys being physically outmatched like we have seen in some of the worst-of-the-worse years.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
You can continue to look at star rankings, but I'm going to go by the eye test. Based on that, I like what I see out of some of our young guys. Especially in the receiving core, I think we have a few real solid recievers and a few game-breakers. The O-line guys are gaining experience and getting better each week. Rogers and Tribune have struggled, but you can see the ability there.

Aside from the UNI, Iowa, Texas Tech, Baylor and Oklahoma State games, I just don't see our guys being physically outmatched like we have seen in some of the worst-of-the-worse years.

FIFY. By the way, I do agree at the skill positions. Just think we are light years away on the two lines of scrimmage.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
FIFY. By the way, I do agree at the skill positions. Just think we are light years away on the two lines of scrimmage.

I would add that our linebacker play this year screams of youth and inexperience, and some size problems. We're seeing a lot more 'slip and fall' problems, wide open zones, and arm tackling with our LBs which in an indication of improper positioning and not having enough experience to just play instinctively. Whoever wrote that they saw a lot of thinking going on out there, and once the realization is made, the play is past them is RIGHT. That's inexperience again.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
This kind of hits my point. I know I'm not a "meta-analyst", but I do know that if you are ranked 8th, 9th or 10th in every service for several years in a row, you can't average a rank of 6th overall as Stubborn suggests.

Wow....I quit. It is what I posted. Not average recruiting class ranking. The ranking are not the same as average player rating. I have been transparent with what I posted and I did the same thing for every team for the 2013 class. We had a low 3* qb with only one offer and a composite 2* qb and our two best recruits were oline. I can only assume they use a weighted average by position and we didnt fair as well. Otherwise the rankings don't make sense when looking at it from that perspective. We havent been successful in pulling in a highly touted qb, rb etc. BUT we are clearly improving the overall quality, choose to dismiss.

Last edited:

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
List of 247 and the composite rating for each isu 2013 signee: http://iowastate.247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/Commits

How composite ratings are done:
247Composite rankings and ratings debut on 247Sports

Iowa State had 73 total composite stars in 2013 and 25 signees. That is an average of 2.92 stars. I did the same process for each team. In 2013 we were #6 using this process.

How is that flawed?

Last edited:

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
List of 247 and the composite rating for each isu 2013 signee: Iowa State 2013 Football Commits

How composite ratings are done:
247Composite rankings and ratings debut on 247Sports

Iowa State had 73 total composite stars in 2013 and 25 signees. That is an average of 2.92 stars. I did the same process for each team. In 2013 we were #6 using this process.

How is that flawed?

Why didn't you just use the site's Big 12 Team Rankings for 2013:

2013 Big 12 Football Recruiting Team Rankings

For those of you still following along, this site ranks us 9th, just like every other site. My gosh, I should have quit when I said I was going to before. I am confident I just got dumber.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
Keep showing us how little you know. Baylor and OSU will mudstomp UT this year. They will do no better than third there champ.

I'd be willing to take that wager. Texas will beat OSU. It'll come down to the final game of the season where Baylor will beat UT....but not by as much as you might think. And trust me when I say, I'm certainly no Texas fan.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I had never thought of this. I'm selling my tickets and never going to another game until Rhoads is fired. I'm sure it will be no problem to get a coach who can recruit and develop talent much better than Rhoads. If JP doesn't do this soon, he should be fired too.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I had never thought of this. I'm selling my tickets and never going to another game until Rhoads is fired. I'm sure it will be no problem to get a coach who can recruit and develop talent much better than Rhoads. If JP doesn't do this soon, he should be fired too.
:plaugh:?????

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I was just going off of what rivals listed.

Try "going off" something else. Last Spring, TheCaptain said that there was the most athleticism on the roster, top to bottom that he'd ever seen--and that was before the current freshman class arrived. Someone can link to his comments, I'm sure.

That's good enough for me.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Why didn't you just use the site's Big 12 Team Rankings for 2013:

2013 Big 12 Football Recruiting Team Rankings

For those of you still following along, this site ranks us 9th, just like every other site. My gosh, I should have quit when I said I was going to before. I am confident I just got dumber.

For the 5th time:
COMPOSITE IS NOT SAME AS 247 RANKING... RANKING NOT SAME AS AVERAGE

Fail on 2 counts. The funny thing is you think you are right. Try reading what I have written

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron