Why does Wally get a pass?

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Everyone complains about Mess, and rightfully so. But, our defense is pathetic. Basic 101 kind of stuff that's not happening. Bad tackling. We never blitz, EVER.

Our defense is currently ranked 117 out of 123 in total defense. Yet no one seems to pin anything on Wally. Just because he's an old experienced coach doesn't mean he gets a pass. He's no **** LeBeau.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Gotta agree a bit here. The O had moments today that they D needed to help more than they did.

Plenty of heat from this season to spread around.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
We're too slow to do anything a GOOD defense would do. Wally consistently makes the right calls for a GOOD defense, but there's no such thing as a good call for a BAD defense.

We just have no talent, unless they run right into us.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Why do we always try to blame one thing? The entire team just makes mistakes, and well, really hasn't been good.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
If the season continues as it is going, no one will get a pass. I said this before one way or another, but Jake Knott (and Klein too) covered a lot of problems over the past few years.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If the season continues as it is going, no one will get a pass. I said this before one way or another, but Jake Knott (and Klein too) covered a lot of problems over the past few years.

That's for sure. After Jake went out last season all other teams had to do was move AJ to either side of the field and then run the play the other direction. Worked like magic since the rest of the defense was "average".

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Wally has gotten a pass from day one but has consistently put a poor product on the field.

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
Why would we not give Wally a pass? He is the only coordinator that has been here and had a unit that was worth a ****. We are playing some of the top offenses in the country and you expect us to be ranked high. OU has I believe the 2nd ranked pass defense in the country and I bet you by the time the play both TTU and BU they will be at the bottom. That with the fact that we lost Knott and Klein explains quite a bit about this year.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
We're too slow to do anything a GOOD defense would do. Wally consistently makes the right calls for a GOOD defense, but there's no such thing as a good call for a BAD defense.

We just have no talent, unless they run right into us.

That's an excuse. Last year we had 2 NFL linebackers (granted Jake got hurt but was there for over half the games). With 2 NFL linebackers we should have been better. They were good, as a team, not so much.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think a lot of our problems are coaching problems, all-around. Playing DB's 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on 3rd and short, ****-poor tackling, penalties, offensive play-calling, RB shuffling (taking the ball out of the hot hand)... It's really just an all-around terrible plan for this team and our record reflects that. Add in injuries and we look like a bad FCS team.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
Iowa State should never have a bad defense with a head coach that was a former defensive coordinator, what position does CPR coach anyways if any?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
That's an excuse. Last year we had 2 NFL linebackers (granted Jake got hurt but was there for over half the games). With 2 NFL linebackers we should have been better. They were good, as a team, not so much.

The defense was pretty good last year until Knott got injured.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Wally's position group(LB) has consistently been the best in the conference, and on our team. He's taken players that were picked over and put them in the NFL. Our D hasn't been great this year, but we lost A LOT last year. George leads the conference in tackles and is constantly making the right plays. We have a lot of young corners, as they get older you'll see.

Haters gonna hate.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lots of sports fans think it's manly or macho to blame it on D no matter what. I've seen the vast majority of Bears fans blame 13-10 losses on the defense over the past few years.

If the offense has long strings of 3 and outs, as in 3-5 consecutive 3 and outs in a row like we've often had this year, just throw defensive stats out the window.

We had a horrible defensive game against UNI, we had a horrible defensive 3rd quarter today, but the rest of our troubles this year have more or less came directly from having one of the worst offenses in the nation. Our offensive scheme is horrendous, we never take advantage of what is being given to us, we are horrible at getting the ball in the hands of our best players.

In this conference we are not going to win by putting up a couple scores and shutting down the other guy. It's not the Big Ten.