Philly WR Cooper racial slur and McCoy's reaction

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I agree, but is it not also silly that you hear such an offensive term so often in pop culture? I mean, at some point, guys like Jay-Z should forfeit the right to get angry at people saying it. He's one of the icons who have made it so popular.
Maybe, you can't expect everyone to abide by the rules and not use words that are considered vulgar. The kind of language used in movies and music and on tv today would shock someone from 50 years ago, not even including the use of the n-word. It's a little different because that word is specifically demeaning to a specific group of people whereas the f-word for example is just a general swear word, but same principal.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I agree, but is it not also silly that you hear such an offensive term so often in pop culture? I mean, at some point, guys like Jay-Z should forfeit the right to get angry at people saying it. He's one of the icons who have made it so popular.

It could also be quite racist for certain people to enjoy hearing the word used in songs, even if they never say it themselves. I think plenty of this is going on with those who listen to some of these songs, especially younger kids who are just emerging in their own personal racism.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Cooper is seeking "counseling" now after this? I'm not saying it's an okay thing for him to say, but this makes it sound like he's mentally unstable. It's been blown way out of proportion.
No, it's totally a PR thing to announce that "you're seeking counseling." Counseling for what? Either he's a racist, or just stupid. There's no "counseling" for that...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No, it's totally a PR thing to announce that "you're seeking counseling." Counseling for what? Either he's a racist, or just stupid. There's no "counseling" for that...

Actually, there is counseling for both of those things.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Am I the only one who finds it odd/ironic that News Reporters are calling Vick a "team leader"/voice of reason in this situation/story?.?.?

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It's a little different because that word is specifically demeaning to a specific group of people whereas the f-word for example is just a general swear word, but same principal.

The n-word is no longer demeaning in certain circumstances. If it is said by a certain race with a soft ending, it's not demeaning, but if it's said by a different race with a hard ending, it's demeaning. I have an African-American friend who coaches youth FB in a poor area of the Metroplex. He's had to mitigate dust-ups between African-American parents over confusion about whether the n-word was used colloquially or in a derogatory manner.

As Al_4_State said, it's completely ridiculous.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
The only mind numbing thing about this is that people are somehow shocked and surprised that some hillbilly cracker in a sleeveless shirt dropped an N-bomb at a country music concert of all places.

Thats exactly what i was thinking....well beyond the racist remark of the hillbilly cracker and all...

Anyhow, i thought a very similar thing...The incident took place at a Country Concert, you had a would be redneck (obvious features with Sleeveless Button up shirt) and you have a black security guard. What preceded the confrontation, what was the exchange before you see Cooper....who knows what was being said there....

May not justify the word....but it could have been used in retaliation.....maybe not....

Now would anybody be surprised if this happened: Famous Black music artist performing, young upstart black athlete is told by fat white security guard that he couldnt go backstage, alcohol is involved.....how you think that situation plays out.....probably no different, just different words....a really stupid mentality with circumstances.

Just reported on Yardbarker....Cooper stepping away from Eagles for a while.....

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The n-word is no longer demeaning in certain circumstances. If it is said by a certain race with a soft ending, it's not demeaning, but if it's said by a different race with a hard ending, it's demeaning. I have an African-American friend who coaches youth FB in a poor area of the Metroplex. He's had to mitigate dust-ups between African-American parents over confusion about whether the n-word was used colloquially or in a derogatory manner.

As Al_4_State said, it's completely ridiculous.
It's not that ridiculous that words have different meanings and connotations depending on how and when they're used.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Thats exactly what i was thinking....well beyond the racist remark of the hillbilly cracker and all...

Anyhow, i thought a very similar thing...The incident took place at a Country Concert, you had a would be redneck (obvious features with Sleeveless Button up shirt) and you have a black security guard. What preceded the confrontation, what was the exchange before you see Cooper....who knows what was being said there....

May not justify the word....but it could have been used in retaliation.....maybe not....

Now would anybody be surprised if this happened: Famous Black music artist performing, young upstart black athlete is told by fat white security guard that he couldnt go backstage, alcohol is involved.....how you think that situation plays out.....probably no different, just different words....a really stupid mentality with circumstances.

Just reported on Yardbarker....Cooper stepping away from Eagles for a while.....

Really?

As a registered Caucasian who knows plenty of other white folks, I've never come across anyone that has been offended by the word 'cracker'. It just doesn't happen.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
The kind of language used in movies and music and on tv today would shock someone from 50 years ago, not even including the use of the n-word.

You mean like these lyrics?

Sittin' in the living room on the floor
Hunger pain got me on some migraine ****
But I'm a maintain
Nigga got two or three dollars to my name
And my homies in the same boat going through the same thing

Ready for the caper, steady plottin' for the paper
We been livin' in the dark since April
On the candle,
gotta get a handle
My homie got a twenty-five automatic added to the gamble
Nigga get the phonebook look up in the Yellow Page
Lemme tell you how we finna to get paid
We gonna order pizza and when we see the driver
We gonna stick the twenty-five up in his face

Let's ride, steppin' outside like warriors
Head to the notorious Southside

One weapon to the four of us
Hidin' in the corridor until we see the Dominos car headlights
White boy in the wrong place at the right time
Soon as the car door open up he mine
We roll up quick and put the pistol to his nose
By the look on his face he probably ******* in his clothes
You know what this is, it's a stick up
Gimme the dough from your pickups
You ran into the wrong niggas
We runnin' down the block hot with these pizza boxes

So we split up and met back at the apartment

Artist: DEAD PREZ
Song: HELL YEAH

BTW - i know this song because my daughters have listened to it when they have friends over...they know every word....i asked if they ever listened to what they were sayin....

They say...not really!!!

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I can't decide where I come down on this. On one hand, I would imagine that "word" has become a part of the lexicon in an NFL locker room. I'm sure its used to the point where people become desensitized to its "meaning" and it has become colloquial. I know that race scholars wouldn't agree with me, but it seems a bit ridiculous to use the word as casually as many African American people do, and then to be so outraged when a white person uses it, but who am I to judge.

On the other hand, the way in which he used the word was ugly. This wasn't used in a colloquial fashion. Saying he will "fight every _______ here" is ugly and it is demonstrative of the usage of word that gives it the nasty connotation it has today.

I think it's because black people aren't using it with a negative connotation. Riley Cooper sure seemed to be using it with a negative connotation.

EDIT: I guess you said that in your 2nd paragraph. Carry on :smile:.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Got a feeling Cooper is going to take some hard hits this year. There will probably be some angry LBs just waiting for him to run a slant.

Hardest thing for him is going to be regaining the respect of his teammates.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

This would seem to indicate that there is more going on than just a one-time only use of a word closely associated with racism.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Got a feeling Cooper is going to take some hard hits this year. There will probably be some angry LBs just waiting for him to run a slant.

This is surely the main reason he is stepping away from the Eagles. I think he could stick with the Eagles AND get counseling at the same time. It's not like it's rehab. He's gotta be stepping away to let any simmering tensions cool. I'm sure a lot of teammates would be fine with it, but there are probably a couple that get caught up in the heat of the moment like Riley did.

Brad4Cyclones

Dec 13, 2011

Players always try and hit you hard in the NFL. If they try a cheap shot, fine, they will just receive a fine.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It's not that ridiculous that words have different meanings and connotations depending on how and when they're used.

I'd say it's ridiculous when two people from the same community and race, and of similar age and background get into fights because they can't determine whether the use of a word in common conversation is derogatory or not.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'd say it's ridiculous when two people from the same community and race, and of similar age and background get into fights because they can't determine whether the use of a word in common conversation is derogatory or not.
Disagreements over something someone said that was possibly taken wrong? That's still not that shocking.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

This is dead on. Certain words, in society have double meaning, depending on the situation.
In this case the boundaries are pretty clear, if you are using the word in question addressing somebody you do not know, you probably are looking to degrade and humiliate.

The guys was upset, felt he was above following the rules, did not want to physically assault the guy, so resorted to the worst thing he could think of verbally.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think it's because black people aren't using it with a negative connotation. Riley Cooper sure seemed to be using it with a negative connotation.

Ok, so then the outrage is about his statement that he is going to beat up every person of a certain ethnicity. Are we made he used the word, or are we mad about the threats? Because I stand by my point that it is unfair to use the word in a completely colloquial manner, but then to feign outrage when someone else uses. But yes, word or no word, it is unacceptable to threaten to beat up people because of their race.