Accepted to ISU as a transfer student!

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
I'm Edd from the UK, and as you can tell I'm new to this forum, the reason behind this is, I found out I'm coming to Iowa State next year!

So I've come here to get the lowdown on the place (past the research I've done on all of the academic issues and stuff you would read on there website!)

Whats the party scene like? Which halls should I go for? What are the girls like? I hear theres a pretty big gender imbalance.

(sorry about the second thread, forgot you americans say transfer to mean something different to exchange!)

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I hear theres a pretty big gender imbalance.

Campus is about 57% male. Adjusted for engineers with no social life, it's pretty close to 50-50.

If you have a British accent, you will have no shortage of women to choose from.

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
Haha, sorry guys, yeah I am from England, from Birmingham (no Alabama!), I'm going on an exchange program next year (didnt realise you americans said transfer to say something else), Im really excited about it though. How do you guys go out? Do you all drink etc.? Its gonna be a bit of a culture shock suddenly not being bale to drink or anything.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Haha, sorry guys, yeah I am from England, from Birmingham (no Alabama!), I'm going on an exchange program next year (didnt realise you americans said transfer to say something else), Im really excited about it though. How do you guys go out? Do you all drink etc.? Its gonna be a bit of a culture shock suddenly not being bale to drink or anything.
Drinking is encouraged, we have an entire week devoted to it.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

chuckle.... you'll have a great time. Don't be too worried. Cyclones party like crazy and the women are wild.

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
Ah it can't be that bad... surely! All I've seen about american college comes from Van Wilder and American Pie... is it anything like that all? And accommodation, where would you guys recommend?

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Friley Hall is a good time, but you'll have a good time in any of the dorms. And as already mentioned, you will do very well with the ladies with a British accent

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
Ah it can't be that bad... surely! All I've seen about american college comes from Van Wilder and American Pie... is it anything like that all? And accommodation, where would you guys recommend?

If you believe college will be like Van Wilder, American Pie, or any other college movie prepare to be disappointed.

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
Are you living in the dorms? What's your major? How old are you?

I think, if I had to guess, you're going to be surprised how rural the midwest really is. Ames is a great town, though, and I think you'll find there's plenty to do. Wether you're 21 or not, there'll be no shortage of alcohol around you (learn the laws, and be smart). The party situation os largely house-parties, most of the west edge of campus is older homes and very saturated with students.

Make sure you see at least one football game, and tailgate before. Make sure you see one basketball game and go out afterwards. If you live in a dorm, do some intramurals, it's a great way to make friends and blow off steam.

Do EVERYTHING you can during Homecoming and VEISHEA, best two weeks of being a student, IMO. Take the bus only if you're late, I really miss walking through the gorgeous campus.

Good luck, have fun, and Go Cyclones!

*EDIT: Depending on what winters are like in your hometown you may need to invest in a heavy winter coat.

Last edited:

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

Do you have a list of choices? And how old are you?

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
I'm 19 at the moment, will be 20 for pretty much all of next academic year, I look forward to the famed american house party! My accommodation choices are richardson court,buchannan residence, wallace hall and federiksen court, those words mean nothing to me at the moment!

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006

I'm no where near college age as I attended ISU in the late 80's early 90's. But I partied all night, many years ago in Chicago, at an England vs. USA friendly soccer game at Soldier Field and then into the wee hours of the night. The answer to your repeated question about drinking is YES - we drink. However, if you party like the guys from England that I drank with that night - you'll be just fine.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have only spent about a week in the UK, but from what I gather Ames is going to be a lot colder AND a lot hotter than what you're used to at different times of the year.

Not sure which residence hall serves the best bangers and mash ;-)

Like others have said, go to Cyclone football and basketball games even if you're not a big fan, student tickets are a steal. I did a semester in Europe and became a huge soccer/football fan with very little knowledge about it before I went, I'm sure the reverse would be true. Party it up but be smart if you're not 21 because surprisingly it really is enforced especially for those stumbling around outside.