Father's retirement???

chicagocyfan

Apr 11, 2006
Chicago
My dad is retiring this month and I'm am in a quandary as to what to get him or do for him. He hunts and fishes but I believe has everything a hunter and fisher would want. Any suggestions from Cyclonefanatics would be appreciated.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
My dad is retiring this month and I'm am in a quandary as to what to get him or do for him. He hunts and fishes but I believe has everything a hunter and fisher would want. Any suggestions from Cyclonefanatics would be appreciated.

You could get him a session at a hunt club, although I'm not sure how those work exactly. Not an item, but an experience.

Just a quick search for them by Des Moines (I couldn't remember the name at first, but I knew there was one that advertised on the radio), I found one that was like $200-ish for a 4-6 hour bird hunt that includes 10 birds.

Prime pheasant hunting, Iowa pheasant hunting, pheasant haven

Doc's hunt club was the one I was thinking of, but no prices.

However, I see you're in Chi-town, not sure this is where he'd want to go.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I am pushing retirement very hard myself. If my son were asking the question, I would tell him that I would appreciate a week long Canadian fly in walleye fishing expedition at a lodge. If he could not afford that, I would be thrilled with a pair of warm house slippers and a new bathrobe. I already own most everything I want. If you want to do something special, get me something I would not buy for myself. And whatever you do, keep sending those pictures of the grandkids by email. Your mother and I love them!

chicagocyfan

Apr 11, 2006
Chicago
Definitely some good ideas to start. For clarity sake I live in Chicago but he is in north central Iowa and is not really into sporting events like I am.

@iowa_wildcat: You nailed the main issue. At your age you already own most everything you want!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Does he enjoy golfing? I'm not much of one myself but maybe you guys could hit the links some weekend on your dime.
While doing this, the family could set up a surprise party at the golf club house and when you get done and come in, have an awesome retirement party.

Cyclonz

Nov 23, 2009
Denver, CO
Take him to Vegas for Super Bowl weekend or first weekend of March Madness - if you don't play table games you can sit around watching the big game or hoops games with whatever level of action you are comfortable with.

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
I don't know what your financial situation is, but how about a unique hunting or fishing trip for the two of you. A guy at work went to Alaska for a caribou hunt and I know some others that went to Idaho for Elk and Moose. Memories to last a lifetime. There are lots of cool fishing excursions around the country/world. Maybe cheaper and easier than a hunting trip.

This of course is coming from a guy that lost his dad when he was only 50, so money would be no object if I could share a memory like that with my dad.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
My dad retired recently after 47 years (without missing a day he likes to add). We didn't "get" him anything except both of his children came home and we went out for a nice dinner. Most parents of that age really just want to spend time with their children. If you live far away from him a visit is good. If you live nearby please ignore this post!

Last edited:

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
WHenever my parents retire I plan on sending them on a 10-day European trip. They sent me 3 times in college and I don't think its anything they would ever do on their own. Dad's family is from Switzerland,Germany and Scotland and Mom's is from Norway so probably something that encompasses those 3 countries even though it would be a short time in each.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
My parents made it easy on us, when my Mom retired and my Dad turned 70 they took a 6-week trip to New Zealand and Australia. Can't top that. ;) We did all gather together for a lunch to celebrate my Mom's retirement (sisters, her sister-in-laws and my cousin). My Dad is/was a farmer and will never really retire.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Have family there to celebrate with him. Give him a hug, tell him you love him, thank him for everything he did for you and let him know you are so proud of what he accomplished. That is more valuable than any tangible gift.