Will ISU even score today against Iowa?

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Quite simply, we have to go out and spend big money on the program. A casual fan knows the names, because there are really only a handful.

We're going to have to over pay for a name, and then pour a lot of money into the program, giving the new coach all the bells and whistles they see at penn st, ohio st. okie st. and of course iowa.

It will be interesting to see if JP actually wants to do this, There will be more money to throw around at the departmental level, but it will take a much much stronger contribution by the fans.

The wrestling club should really be started to get advertised like the gridiron club has, which hasn't happened at the AD level yet, which is a crying shame.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
According to the Register, Iowa had 35 takedowns to ISU's 3 takedowns. Ouch. It sucks that this is the year the NCAA tourney will be in Des Moines. I was hoping that by year 4 of the Jackson regime we'd be able to be competitive in front of the hometown crowd, but this might be ugly.

At this rate of improvement, it will take 10 years.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Drop wrestling. The big XII is a dead league now. Plus up volleyball and track
Get rid of the most historically successful program at the university for track. Because we are great there and track stars fall off the trees in Iowa.

Heres a tip. Don't post in wrestling threads.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I could see Heffernan at Illinois being a nice one to grab. He's done a great job in the last 4 years of bringing Illinois to being a top program. He'd probably bring Mark Perry along and those two seem to be a great coaching and recruiting duo. Not sure of the chances of getting him as he's been there for something like 20 seasons in at least some capacity, but it'd be pretty a nice get.

Personally, I more realistically see luring a big name assistant, some of which I believe would be able to bring some recruits along with them. Sammie Henson seems like he is a great coach/recruiter and deserves his own gig. Also, I see the Donny Pritzlaff and Sean Bormet duo as being deserving of their own program.

I'm sure there are more options out there, but these are good ones that come to my mind at the moment.

Heffernan and Perry aren't a duo. If Heffernan leaves Perry will get the head coaching job at Illinois within an hour. I'm not sure Heffernan is worth much without Perry. Get Perry in that case.

We might be in position to land Pritzlaff or Bormet. Both is not going to happen. Michigan is pouring sick money into their post-grad program.

Mike Denney is a solid guy but far too old to take on a job like ours, IMHO.

I'd love to land Drew Pariano from Northwestern but I'm afraid it is unlikely we would be able to land a sitting Big 10 coach. Tough to leave that conference with those resources to come to ISU.

Jim Zalesky would be much, MUCH better than the coach we have now.

Reactions: Bobby45 and Judoka

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Bring back Joe Heskett, he has done some great things at Army and that is pretty substantial considering the talent that Army gets...

Joe Heskett Profile - goARMYsports.com - Army Black Knights Official Athletic Site

If we get away from Cyclone grads, then go after Doug Schwab from Northern Iowa, young coach and doing great things at UNI...

Doug Schwab Biography - Official Site of University of Northern Iowa Athletics

Or if we want age and somebody with a great track record, go after Mike Denney. He led Nebraska-Omaha to Division II National Championships in 1991, 2004-2006 and 2009-2011 before they dropped the program and is now the HC at Maryville. Another is Marc Bauer at Nebraska-Kearney who led UNK to a National Championship in 2008 and 2012. Both are unproven at the Div I level but they can't be any worse than what we currently have...

Maryville Announces New Wrestling Program; Hiring of Coach Mike Denney | Maryville University

University of Nebraska Kearney - 2012-13 Wrestling Coaching Staff

I agree that Denney is probably too old to fill the ISU position but he is a great wrestling coach. The other three mentioned though are all young and can definately be a great coach at ISU if the wrestling program can get the resources to succeed.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
The one thing I don't like about Heskett is that he probably does not bring any recruits/transfers with him from Army.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Even tho I think it's to early to talk about replacement, I don't know if Heskett or Bono should be the choices. Definitely not Bono, since he recently left, not sure on Heskett.

It would have to be a guy that everybody in the nation would say WOW great hire. Maybe somebody that can bring in Hebert as a top assistant and keep Jon Reader around.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
That will ultimately be what pushes KJ out. The problem is that there is no money for wrestling at Iowa State, and the whiners in these threads that don't pay attention to wrestling are not the ones that are going to help with that. They see us getting beaten by schools that they have never heard of and go all ****** and bash bash bash.

The problem that most of us that actually understand what the program is facing see that if we are to compete, we have to invest in the program. KJ never got that chance here, but whoever comes in next will face the same thing unless all of the bitchers and whiners and pos like queso actually put their $$$ where their whiny mouths are.

You bring out some very good, articulated points and you seem as someone who is passionate about ISU wrestling and "in the know".

In your opinion, how much money are we talking? - Please excuse my ignorance about funding wrestling scholies, but aren't they limited by the NCAA on how many can be awarded? ISU is fully funding all the scollies, so are you talking about money for coaching and facilities?

And what do we need as far as facilities? I'm just curious, because if there's a definite, strategic plan, I'd be willing to help contribute.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We need to get funding to bring in a whole competitive Senior level freestyle team. That is thru the CWC. Trent Paulsen and KJ are trying to get that done. Part of the problem is we are not currently developing any of our own Senior level wrestlers to stay and train. Jon Reader was the last one and there wasn't any last year (Sorenson wasn't going to wrestle senior level) and their won't be any this year (Gibson, Mayfield, and Spangler will move on), and won't be any next year (I don't see Beard, Shafer or Weatherman continueing).

Chop

Nov 29, 2012
With all due respect you don't have to have Senior Level athletes to recruit better athletes. There are plenty of programs around the country that do very well at the NCAA level but don't have a club for freestyle. Now does it help to have the CWC funded and full of athletes? Yes. I think KJ's entire problem is/was he had no real connection to the high school kids in the US and didn't have much to sell them. He has never been a coach at the D1 level and wrestled so long ago most of the kids today probably have no idea who he is. Some people may point of that he coach at the OTC but the OTC and D1 are 2 different animals. The major difference is the OTC athletes are well polished for the most part and the D1 kids need to be developed. KJ in my opinion is lacking in the development of his athletes at this point and time. Also he is getting out recruited/coached by Doug Schwab (UNI) today in his own state. UNI doesn't have the flashy facilites or $ to throw around. Hell, they don't even have a Senior Club either which some people think you need to have to be successful. The bottom line is KJ lacks recruiting and development skills.

To the poster that suggest you have to have a coach gut another program to be successful in another is completely false. Look at what Illinois is doing right now. Mark Perry is an excellent recruiter and he didn't gut Cal Poly when moving to Illinois. He is winning the recruiting battle on some kids over IA, OSU, PSU and Okie State. Hard work and being able to relate to the high school kids is making Mark Perry a solid D1 option at this point. Oh by the way he can coach up the kids as well. He has brought in 2 top recruits to Illinois for next year in Black and Martinez as well.

Reactions: Cyclone06

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
The one thing I don't like about Heskett is that he probably does not bring any recruits/transfers with him from Army.

This shouldn't be on our list of criteria for a new coach. That is a short term proposition. We need to think long term.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
This shouldn't be on our list of criteria for a new coach. That is a short term proposition. We need to think long term.

I disagree to an extent. If we hire a new coach in March 2013, most elite high school wrestlers will be committed to another school by then. If the new coach does not bring any recruits with him, then his "first" recruiting class will be 2014. Those kids will then redshirt in 2015, and finally see the mat as freshmen in 2016. No depth on the team until 2017 or 2018. That's a long damn time and a lot of lost duals and poor tournament performances. Which in turn makes it more difficult to recruit elite wrestlers...

Experiencing success early and often will be important, and that is much more likely if a coach brings transfers and recruits with him.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Here is an idea. You wrestling types fund the program. Leave the rest of us out of it. Or better yet . . Have Danny Gabel pony up some of his clout and money to save What is left of our once great program.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Here is an idea. You wrestling types fund the program. Leave the rest of us out of it. Or better yet . . Have Danny Gabel pony up some of his clout and money to save What is left of our once great program.

Can we start be leaving you out of participating in this thread?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Gotta keep this thread bumped another 15 hours or so. The thread titles is starting to seem like we're questioning if ISU basketball can score on Iowa and their new center who I hear is a significantly better version of Shaq.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012

You were a basketball fairy weren't you...:rolleyes:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
With all due respect you don't have to have Senior Level athletes to recruit better athletes. There are plenty of programs around the country that do very well at the NCAA level but don't have a club for freestyle. Now does it help to have the CWC funded and full of athletes? Yes. I think KJ's entire problem is/was he had no real connection to the high school kids in the US and didn't have much to sell them. He has never been a coach at the D1 level and wrestled so long ago most of the kids today probably have no idea who he is. Some people may point of that he coach at the OTC but the OTC and D1 are 2 different animals. The major difference is the OTC athletes are well polished for the most part and the D1 kids need to be developed. KJ in my opinion is lacking in the development of his athletes at this point and time. Also he is getting out recruited/coached by Doug Schwab (UNI) today in his own state. UNI doesn't have the flashy facilites or $ to throw around. Hell, they don't even have a Senior Club either which some people think you need to have to be successful. The bottom line is KJ lacks recruiting and development skills.

To the poster that suggest you have to have a coach gut another program to be successful in another is completely false. Look at what Illinois is doing right now. Mark Perry is an excellent recruiter and he didn't gut Cal Poly when moving to Illinois. He is winning the recruiting battle on some kids over IA, OSU, PSU and Okie State. Hard work and being able to relate to the high school kids is making Mark Perry a solid D1 option at this point. Oh by the way he can coach up the kids as well. He has brought in 2 top recruits to Illinois for next year in Black and Martinez as well.

You are right, they do very well, but to compete against Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, and Ohio State; I think you need Senior level wrestlers.