Rumor= CPR is about to get a raise

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
CPR should be kept reasonably close to the market rate for a good coach in a big conference. I'm not sure what that number is, but I would guess it's more than he's getting now.

I'll ask again since no one answered...to the people who think he deserves a raise: who is going to give him more than $20 million guaranteed? No one. Sure he only makes $2 mil per year (on average), but we made up for the lack of annual salary with more years.

Again, I love Rhoads just as much as the next fan but what has he done to deserve more than $20 million from Iowa State? How many other coaches are guaranteed more money than him? A handful at most.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Yeah... i might say 8 wins here = 10 wins there. I wouldnt say 6=10. Aside from the chizik debacle, we've actually gotten to a point since 2000 that going to a bowl is fairly common.

00-Bowl
01-Bowl
02-Bowl
03-No bowl
04-Bowl
05-Bowl
06-No bowl ('resigned')
Chizik Debacle
09- Bowl
10- No bowl
11- Bowl
12- Bowl

6-6 isnt that impressive even at ISU. Lets not forget we fired (or 'resigned') the last guy who only just made it to bowls consistently.

I love CPR, and i hope he can take things to the next level, but the fact is he hasn't proven yet that he can get over this 6-6 level. And locking ourselves into an even larger long term contract on that yet unproven quantity is very risky if he can't ultimately get over that hump.

I agree with you on most of this here, but you can't discount the fact that a lot of teams in the North dropped off from '00 - '06. So far, the big difference I see in CPR compared to Mac, is that CPR isn't losing games we should win. And he has us actually playing with the big boys in conference. Granted, we've still had a few slip ups the last couple of years, but if we can stay the course we are on, the days of getting beat by 50 should be out the door.

6-6 won't keep CPR his job for 15 years, there is no doubt about that. The fans always want more, but I think too many people have forgotten, with the recent rise in excitement over ISU football, how bad the last 25 years really have been for ISU. When I was in school, they didn't give pass outs for half time even. Why? because they just let anyone walk through the gates after half time. I think that's the only thing that kept the stands from being empty for most games when I was in school.

CPR has a much more daunting challenge, imo than any previous coach at ISU. He is going to be expected to bring 8, 9, maybe even 10 wins to ISU, in a time when the conference is at an all time tough level. 9 out of 10 teams bowl eligible, during a round robin schedule, is a very daunting task. I like what Rhoads has done at ISU, he's not only put a competetive team on the field, but he's also brought excitement to a team that hasn't seen anything like this in fan support ever. When I come back to games now, it's literally like I'm at a different school. Even in my wildest imaginations, I never thought I'd see the fan support he has managed to generate here. And for that, we have to find a way to pay the guy if that's what it takes. Right now, I would say Paul Rhoads is ISU.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
6-6 won't keep CPR his job for 15 years, there is no doubt about that. The fans always want more, but I think too many people have forgotten, with the recent rise in excitement over ISU football, how bad the last 25 years really have been for ISU. When I was in school, they didn't give pass outs for half time even. Why? because they just let anyone walk through the gates after half time. I think that's the only thing that kept the stands from being empty for most games when I was in school.

This... my first two years at ISU were Da Chiz tenure. Hitting up .500 and going bowling works for me, I've experienced much, much worse first hand (as I all know you guys have too). Give it time - look at the recruits and how the entire class is a step up

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Fact: CPR just finalized purchase of a $625k property on Clear Lake.

This is as concrete as it gets... he is staying in Iowa.

My Jimlad doesn't work.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
CPR has a much more daunting challenge, imo than any previous coach at ISU. He is going to be expected to bring 8, 9, maybe even 10 wins to ISU, in a time when the conference is at an all time tough level. 9 out of 10 teams bowl eligible, during a round robin schedule, is a very daunting task. I like what Rhoads has done at ISU, he's not only put a competetive team on the field, but he's also brought excitement to a team that hasn't seen anything like this in fan support ever. When I come back to games now, it's literally like I'm at a different school. Even in my wildest imaginations, I never thought I'd see the fan support he has managed to generate here. And for that, we have to find a way to pay the guy if that's what it takes. Right now, I would say Paul Rhoads is ISU.

I would say with all the conference re-alignments going on, the Big12 won't stay at 10 teams for long -- like it or not.

If two new schools are added (Say, Louisville and an ACC school), the round robin schedule goes away, and a non-conf. game is added back in. In that scenario, expectations for 7 or 8 win seasons goes WAY up.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
FEED MEGATHREAD 2.0

Also, I would have thought this was an Onion article were it not for ESPN showing up in the hyperlink.

I thought the same about the Onion.

Cue the actual Onion article entitled "Troubled WAC loses Grand Canyon, adds Worlds Largest Ball of Yarn"

tmcats

Sep 30, 2010
mhk
not trolling, but rumor down here has it cpr is leaving isu. i'll be surprised and disappointed if that's the case.:sad: emaw.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
not trolling, but rumor down here has it cpr is leaving isu. i'll be surprised and disappointed if that's the case.:sad: emaw.

Makes sense that K-State folks would know about our head coach leaving before we would. Please.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
And going? Won't happen as long as JTS is packed, he sees improvement in the program, keeps up with facilities, is paid is fair share and can continue to improve recruiting.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

tumblr_mbwejaF4Th1qbd3zn.gif

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Starting a post with "not trolling" = trolling. Every meal at Wendy's.