Minnesota WR A.J. Barker Leaves Team

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
A.J. Barker is leaving the Minnesota football team effective immediately and has released a long, but well-written article on tumblr outlining the specific reasons why he is leaving. For those not wanting the read the whole thing, he is leaving because of alleged mistreatment from head coach Jerry Kill and the training staff.

Untitled

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
The amazing part is all the comments on the StarTrib website. I had to stop reading them as they are 75% (like the poll) against the young man. Unfortunately this type of situation happens more than you think. Lots of promises surrounding scholarships and to walk-ons are broken every day. Most coaches do have the attitude that Kill is "accused" of in the letter. It is a what have you done for me this week business. Trainers will not be working too long if they are not pushing to get athletes back into competition regardless of the long term effects.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
He's a walkon. Kill's right. He is a dime a dozen. Kid is lucky that Kill even knew his name. Kid sounds entitled and spends a good chunk of the letter talking about how good he was.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Yes I am aware of that. His teenage girl sounding blog makes him sound like a kid who has never been told no before.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
He's a walkon. Kill's right. He is a dime a dozen. Kid is lucky that Kill even knew his name. Kid sounds entitled and spends a good chunk of the letter talking about how good he was.

Season3057719.2637

If Kill doesn't know the kids name with those numbers he needs his head examined.

And yes I realize what I said.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames

He wasn't bad. he had a few multi-touchdown games this year and 3 100 yard receiving games.

He was also their leading receiver (by a long shot).

I don't think that he was all that and awesome, but he wasn't chopped liver.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Ha!
DJK's thoughts on the situation:

@DJKoulianos: aj barker, we've all been through similar situations/scenarios, wanted publicly expose our coach. no1 actually does it though. #thickerskin

Reactions: Doc

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ha!

@DJKoulianos: aj barker, we've all been through similar situations/scenarios, wanted publicly expose our coach. no1 actually does it though. #thickerskin

now THAT is funny.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Ha!

All i can think of is, "English mother****** do you speak it."

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
If a guy walks on, leads the team in receiving and his coach says, sorry, no schollys available, that is messed up.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I think you would find stories similar to this on 90% of D1 campuses around the country. Probably a higher % at schools where they can give partials ("bones" as they call them (throw him a bone) Give a kid $500 schollie and tell him if he works hard he can get a bigger one. If you don't have to give him one, don't.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
I think you would find stories similar to this on 90% of D1 campuses around the country. Probably a higher % at schools where they can give partials ("bones" as they call them (throw him a bone) Give a kid $500 schollie and tell him if he works hard he can get a bigger one. If you don't have to give him one, don't.

This is pretty much my take on it. I think situations like this are more common than we would like to admit in D1 sports, but players just don't openly speak about it like Barker did. Shows us all a little bit of how the sausage gets made.

I can't recall all the exact facts of the situation, but it sounds somewhat similar to the Wesley Johnson fiasco. McD and Johnson had a different "interpretation" of Wes's injury, but instead of writing a long, rambling diatribe about it, Johnson took the most common route which is to simply leave.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
This is pretty much my take on it. I think situations like this are more common than we would like to admit in D1 sports, but players just don't openly speak about it like Barker did. Shows us all a little bit of how the sausage gets made.

I can't recall all the exact facts of the situation, but it sounds somewhat similar to the Wesley Johnson fiasco. McD and Johnson had a different "interpretation" of Wes's injury, but instead of writing a long, rambling diatribe about it, Johnson took the most common route which is to simply leave.

The difference here is that Barker isn't on scholarship. He's the best receiver on his team, yet the coach thinks he's not good enough to ever earn a scholarship, or even treat him like any other player. That's just what I got from it.