Fareway Ribs

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
My wife picked up some prepared pork ribs at Fareway yesterday. We baked them in the oven for about 45 minutes and wa la, yum, yum ribs.:smile: I'm used to going to Famous Daves when I crave ribs, but this proved much more economical and I was blown away by how good they were. They seemed to have a more meaty rib than what I get when eating out.

Has anybody else given this a try?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Next time you are there, buy some hawaiian burgers and cook them slowly on the grill. They are fantastic.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Fareway is the only place we will buy meat and where we buy 90 percent of everything else.

I am on a mission to say I have tried everything at least once in the meat department at the north Ankeny Fareway.

My personal favorites right now are the pulled pork and the blueberry brats (sounds disgusting but they are glorious).

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We are going to a party this afternoon that I can't wait for. We have about $200 worth of meat. We have ribs, butt roast, chicken breast, and a couple others. This evening is going to be nothing but eating, drinking and more eating.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
We are going to a party this afternoon that I can't wait for. We have about $200 worth of meat. We have ribs, butt roast, chicken breast, and a couple others. This evening is going to be nothing but eating, drinking and more eating.

Same here. We have brats, chops, burgers, steaks, and a butt load of chicken drummies soaking in sauce right now waiting to get grilled.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Funny thing is the wife and I were just watching the finale of BBQ Pitmasters the other night and the big thing was how "tough" some of the ribs were that they had to really pull at some of them to get a bite off the bone. I did some baby back ribs on the grill last night, put some low indirect heat and first bite my wife took came right off the bone pretty easily so she joked that apparently I could cook ribs better than those so-called "professionals."

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Fareway is the only place we will buy meat and where we buy 90 percent of everything else.

I am on a mission to say I have tried everything at least once in the meat department at the north Ankeny Fareway.

My personal favorites right now are the pulled pork and the blueberry brats (sounds disgusting but they are glorious).

We buy about 80% of our food at Aldi's however when it comes to fresh produce or meat, Fareway usually wins out. Quality defintely tends to be better in those items(however surprisingly I've gotten some really good sea food at Aldis).

Fareway is a great store. If Aldis wasn't local we'd probably go to Fareway exclusively.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My parents and I have both thought that the quality of the Fareway meat in Ames(specifically steaks) has gone down a bit since the north Ames store opened. The last two batches of ribeyes we got were pretty tough. They weren't BAD, just not what I'd expect from the Fareway hype. If it weren't for meat, I'd probably never shop at Fareway.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Got a pork shoulder (Boston Butt) yesterday at Fareway. 1.99 a pound. Covered it with my homemade rub and stuck it in the fridge. About 9:30 this morning. i took it out, injected it and put it on the Weber. Indirect heat for 7 hours with Apple wood chips. Basted every hour with Apple juice and vinegar. Will hook up my iGrill thermometer and monitor the temp on my Apple iPad.

Yum.

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Next time you are there, buy some hawaiian burgers and cook them slowly on the grill. They are fantastic.

This. These are one of the best things I've ever had. I like them on a toasted torta roll from Costco with some mustard, grilled onions, and grilled yellow peppers.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Dahls beef much> than fareway

Dahls' meat counter has always intrigued me because it seems like they have more stuff than other stores. I've seen frog legs there before - where else can you go and buy frog legs? Plus some of the seafood options. Unfortunately we don't shop there often because they're more expensive and don't carry some of the brands my wife likes (can't give an example, just what she tells me).

D

DistrictCyclone

Fareway pork ribs are great, but their boneless beef ribs are absolutely amazing. Buy a bunch of them and throw them in a smoker for a few hours, and you can eat them like candy.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Fareway provided the meat for a BBQ contest I entered last month. Pretty darn good ribs considering they came prepackaged and frozen. I usually get my meat for smoking from the lockers, but Fareway is only non-meatlocker I'll buy meat from.

terryleebr

Apr 10, 2006
Put 6 racks of baby backs on the smoker at 1. Have 14 coming over for dinner. Fun?

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I put 8 lbs. of ribs in the smoker at one as well. Bought them at Fareway as well. Was surprised how meaty they were but figured what the hell.

Ribs
BBQ Beans (smoked)
Corn on the cob
Corn bread

Extra Pale Ale home brew to top it off!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron