"most secure ball handler"?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Anyone have any stats that tell us who our "most secure ball handler" is, taking into account both interceptions and fumbles?

Least?

kas4cy

Sep 11, 2011
Iowa City, IA
Jeff Woody. You want my statistics to back it up? He's a truck.

Least, when he played, would have probably been Jantz. A lot of good, but man he had a lot of awful turnovers.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think in high school Jeff woody had 500+ carries without a single fumble. Fwiw...

Maplewurst

Apr 6, 2011
trailer down by the river
woody:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: .....put that guy in without a helmet !! :spinny:..2 hand ecstasy.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7h3MXUHpgI&feature=related"]Velvet Underground Oh! Sweet Nothin' (HQ) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
KFritzy87 said:
Jordan Railey

I call bull. How can he be the most secure ball handler when each one of his fouls result in a turnover or the other team shooting free throws? I won't even address the fact that he collects 5 fouls in a span of four minutes.

Reactions: 1 person

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Jeff Woody. You want my statistics to back it up? He's a truck.

Least, when he played, would have probably been Jantz. A lot of good, but man he had a lot of awful turnovers.

Khaal actually made up a graph of every fumble last year that I can't find. The gist for QBs was Barnett fumbled a lot more than Jantz and lost only a few, Jantz fumbled like 5 times and lost 4. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
woody did lose a very costly fumble against nu in the fake extra point game. we were driving deep and he coughed it up. that may be his only one as a clone but it was bad time to happen

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
woody did lose a very costly fumble against nu in the fake extra point game. we were driving deep and he coughed it up. that may be his only one as a clone but it was bad time to happen

I think his only other one was the intentional fumble at the end of a game last year, not sure who. Maybe Oklahoma.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
On the subject of bad time of unfortunate events, how about having a backup punter as the holder rather than one of the 4-5 other qbs that could put enough zip on pass to hit collin franklin in the numbers......

Woody is by far the best ball handler, just watch the last drive of the oklahoma state game....He was Fort Knox...No one was getting that ball...

FootballinTexas

Aug 2, 2009
Khaal actually made up a graph of every fumble last year that I can't find. The gist for QBs was Barnett fumbled a lot more than Jantz and lost only a few, Jantz fumbled like 5 times and lost 4. I'll keep looking.

Find those stats if you can. To be fair to both guys, I'm not sure if you include fumbles on read plays because none of us knows who was supposed to have the ball. Yes, its still a fumblutensil usually it's given to the QB, but the QB's rule for zone read is when in doubt give it. So, it could have been either guy. I would only look at actual fumbles when the QB or RB was carrying the ball.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Find those stats if you can. To be fair to both guys, I'm not sure if you include fumbles on read plays because none of us knows who was supposed to have the ball. Yes, its still a fumblutensil usually it's given to the QB, but the QB's rule for zone read is when in doubt give it. So, it could have been either guy. I would only look at actual fumbles when the QB or RB was carrying the ball.

I can't find it in the enyclonepedia.com archives because I don't think he made a full post on it, he just put it in a thread here.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Ok I think this is it.

To expand on my earlier post...

Barnett had 104 rushes and threw 220 passes and accumulated 6 interceptions and had 11 fumbles (only 3 of which were lost). He threw an interception on 2.72% of passes. His 11 fumbles on 224 rushes accounted for a fumble on 3.4% of touches. If you just add the total fumbles (while removing the "luck factor" of who recovered them) with the total interceptions then JB threw a pick or fumbled on 5.25% of his touches.

Jantz had 84 rushes and threw 259 passes and accumulated 11 interceptions and 3 fumbles (all of which were lost). That is an interception on 4.25% of his passes and fumbled on 1.17% of all touches. Jantz fumbled or threw a INT on 4.08% of his touches.

Point being that Jantz threw way too many interceptions and Barnett fumbled way too much. We were lucky that only 3 of JB's fumbles were lost. Fumbling isn't necessarily a look into "decision making" but there are times when big hits and smart plays can avoid the chance of a fumble.

All told, which one is less of a turnover risk?
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/145018-how-would-you-compare-jb-sj-3.html

I thought there was a graph but it is very possible I am hallucinating.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum...-offensive-optimism-2012-a-7.html#post2625946

I didn't read much of this thread but I was sequestered to present the fumbling stats of Barnett and Jantz for what I assume is a spirited discussion.

ISU fumbled the ball 29 times this year and lost 16 of them. Below is a table that breaks it down for every player that fumbled and compares to their total "touches".

While doing this I noticed that Jantz didn't have a fumble for the UConn game listed but specifically remember the fumble before half...however, that did not count because there was a flag for holding that UConn accepted and took the whole play off the books, and fumble too. That specific play IS NOT INCLUDED and neither is any other instance of a fumble being erased due to a penalty.

It is also worth noting that some of Barnett's (maybe 2-3 from memory) were on the zone read exchange. Also, one of Jeff Woody's fumbles that was lost is from the Kansas State game where he intentionally fumbled at the end of the game.

10748d1326908977-young-talent-reason-offensive-optimism-2012-2011-fumbles.jpg

Reactions: Rhoadhoused

Help Support Us

Become a patron