Standing Room Only

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Anyone have any problems with this? I sat up there and it was a great atmosphere. It was a lot of fun to have a lot of students around and most of the "older" people like me up there were the type that like to stand and yell our ***** off like crazy the whole game anyway.
Wonder if this could become a tradition and that section could become something like the bleacher bums at Wrigley?
Need something to call it- Riff Rafters Maybe? I don't know. Great atmosphere all-around. You could tell we were a fanbase that was hungry again to taste basketball postseason. I haven't seen our crowd be that into every possession from late in the first half through the rest of the game for a long time.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I did notice ushers walking around asking if empty seats were taken. I think they were trying to get people off of the concourse

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
The AD wants people buying season tics. This won't be a regular thing because our cheapskate fans would buy as many of these as the sold instead of single game or season seats.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
The AD wants people buying season tics. This won't be a regular thing because our cheapskate fans would buy as many of these as the sold instead of single game or season seats.

Us cheapskate fans who buy $99 season tickets are probably the most loyal fans in Hilton. The corners up top are consistently full. We may be cheap, but that also means that when we buy tickets, we use them! I didn't miss a single game this year, so I definitely got my money's worth. I think we need to sell more of the cheap season tickets to keep the top consistently full.

Reactions: DavClone

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I got one for my wife and she had a great time. We were a little nervous about if they had oversold them but it looks like they had the perfect number sold.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I loved the atmosphere last night. For those who have never experienced it THAT was actually what Hilton Magic sounds like. Hopefully we have boost in season tickets from this season and I bet that after as successful that promotion was either the students are going to lose some of those seats that they couldn't fill all season or you are going to see some more promotions like that for the sold out games. I noticed right before tip off Pollard was looking up at that area with a big smile on his face, they know they can fill every seat in Hilton and I bet they find a way to make games like last night happen more often.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
This year was huge for our basketball program and ticket sells. No doubt things will be done to make sure every seat is
Full next year, and overselling with standing only.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think next season bball and football are going to be huge for tickets. There are going to be a ton of season tickets sold.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
So can we stop blaming cyclone alley and start blaming the students being lazy for bad attendance now? They showed last night what happens when they all show up.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
We bought 3 and they worked out great, they should do that for every game.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
One of the managers told me he talked to JP at halftime and he said if they had sold 10 more SRO tickets, those people wouldn't have had seats. Good job AD selling the perfect amount of SRO tickets to fill the seats!

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I was impressed by how they filled it and didn't oversell them. It was a great atmosphere last night.

Good job JP and AD, expect a thank card in the mail.

MattMishler

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 19, 2006
One of the managers told me he talked to JP at halftime and he said if they had sold 10 more SRO tickets, those people wouldn't have had seats. Good job AD selling the perfect amount of SRO tickets to fill the seats!

Isn't that kind of the definition of standing room only tickets? To not have seats. Sorry just struck me as funny!

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
Everybody in those sections actually had a seat right? Was it just standing room only because they were sitting behind students?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I haven't seen Hilton that full in probably 20 years. I had a hard time finding any empty seats.

The best part about it from a financial standpoint was that Iowa STate got paid twice for those seats.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Everybody in those sections actually had a seat right? Was it just standing room only because they were sitting behind students?

I don't think technically. All of the standing room only seats were student season tickets that were sold, but the students haven't been showing up. So they double sold the tickets. I suppose if the students had shown up there would have been a lot more standing.

I also heard that they told the students in Cyclone Alley to squeeze in a lot of people.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I sit in section 226 and it was really weird having those sections to my right filled to the top. Usually it is half empty. That was awesome to see. Hilton was amazing last night. I hope this is just the start of some great crowds.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I moved from my season tickets over to section 224 to sit with a large group of friends who came up due the availability of those tickets. Was a great atmosphere. My section was about 75% non-students from the looks of it. Lots of large groups of younger grads and families. Should do this for all sell-outs to ensure every seat has a butt in it. Also, was glad to see someone was able to use the seats we vacated :)

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The announced attendance was 20 higher than the number of seats in Hilton, so "officially" not everyone had a seat, but pretty darn close. If you count the students that double up so they can be closer down front, there are at least 20 of those, so basically everyone had a seat.