Conference Alignment & Wrestling

What do you think will happen w/ Big 12 wrestling?

• Mizzou stays, Big 12 stays at 10 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU wrestle under Big 12 banner)

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Mizzou stays, Big 12 expands to 12 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU(+or- 2 wrestling schools) wrestle under Big 12

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Mizzou stays, Big 12 expands to 12 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU in another conference)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mizzou stays, Big 12 amends bylaws to allow other schools to affiliate for wrestling only

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 10 (ISU/OU/OSU wrestle under Big 12 banner)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 10 (ISU/OU/OSU wrestle in another conference)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 12 (3 to 5 schools wrestle under Big 12 banner)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 12 (3 to 5 schools wrestle in another conference)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Mizzou goes, Big 12 amends bylaws to allow other schools to affiliate for wrestling only

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
If Mizzou were to jump ship, that leaves ISU, Oklahoma, and Okie State as the only Big 12 institutions with wrestling squads. If that is (or isn't) the case, what do you think will happen with the Big 12 (and Big 12 wrestling)?

Mizzou stays, Big 12 stays at 10 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou stays, Big 12 expands to 12 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU(+or- 2 wrestling schools) wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou stays, Big 12 expands to 12 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU in another conference)
Mizzou stays, Big 12 amends bylaws to allow other schools to affiliate for wrestling only)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 10 (ISU/OU/OSU wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 10 (ISU/OU/OSU wrestle in another conference)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 12 (3 to 5 schools wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 12 (3 to 5 schools wrestle in another conference)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 amends bylaws to allow other schools to affiliate for wrestling only

***Note: A minimum of 6 is needed in order to receive automatic qualifier status for the NCAA tournament, and that TCU does not have a wrestling team.***

I'm guessing Mizzou stays, but Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU will eventually affiliate with another conference for wrestling, or the Big 12 ammends bylaws for wrestling only to allow other schools to compete under the Big 12 banner. The fact that wrestlers in other conferences can qualify simply by getting 1st or 2nd in their conference tournament has to hurt recruiting somewhat. If you agree, discuss what conference would be the most likely for ISU/OU/OSU to affiliate with for wrestling

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
If Mizzou were to jump ship, that leaves ISU, Oklahoma, and Okie State as the only Big 12 institutions with wrestling squads. If that is (or isn't) the case, what do you think will happen with the Big 12 (and Big 12 wrestling)?

***Note: A minimum of 6 is needed in order to receive automatic qualifier status for the NCAA tournament, and that TCU, L'ville or BYU don't have wrestling teams (WVU does).***

I'm guessing Mizzou stays, but Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU will eventually affiliate with another conference for wrestling, or the Big 12 ammends bylaws for wrestling only to allow other schools to compete under the Big 12 banner. The fact that wrestlers in other conferences can qualify simply by getting 1st or 2nd in their conference tournament has to hurt recruiting somewhat. If you agree, discuss what conference would be the most likely for ISU/OU/OSU to affiliate with for wrestling

Last edited:

cyclonefreak5

Sep 25, 2010
Ames
I remember reading a year or so ago that UNI was interested in wrestling in the Big 12, I think that would be a good addition if possible

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com

Mizzou stays, Big 12 stays at 10 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou stays, Big 12 expands to 12 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU(+or- 2 wrestling schools) wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou stays, Big 12 expands to 12 (Mizzou/ISU/OU/OSU in another conference)
Mizzou stays, Big 12 amends bylaws to allow other schools to affiliate for wrestling only)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 10 (ISU/OU/OSU wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 10 (ISU/OU/OSU wrestle in another conference)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 12 (3 to 5 schools wrestle under Big 12 banner)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 expands to 12 (3 to 5 schools wrestle in another conference)
Mizzou goes, Big 12 amends bylaws to allow other schools to affiliate for wrestling only

***Note: A minimum of 6 is needed in order to receive automatic qualifier status for the NCAA tournament, and that TCU does not have a wrestling team.***

I just posted a poll thread (1st time). Mods please remove or merge this post.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Gymnastics is in the same boat. The conference is meaning less and less. They schedule competitions with regional schools (Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, SE Missouri State), as well as national (like Georgia in previous years). The Big 12 Meet is really just for bragging rights and really doesn't mean much. The national championship is based on performance in regional meets.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I remember reading a year or so ago that UNI was interested in wrestling in the Big 12, I think that would be a good addition if possible

It is, and they, along with Air Force, would be great additions for Wrestling and both would jump at the chance. But the Big XII doesn't allow the affiliate members. You'r either in for everything or in for nothing.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Does Notre Dame have wrestling? If they were to join for everything but football?

Notre Dame dropped wrestling during the '90s. If I remember correctly a donor had left them fully endowed in his will but the AD convinced his senile widow to move the money over to football instead. I might be thinking of another school though.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Since ISU, OSU, and Okie have collectively won roughly 2/3 of all of the national titles with OSU at about half of all, everything should wrap around the remnants of the Big XII or old Big 8, since the SWC did not have wrestling. THE NCAA should realize that 3 of the top 4 programs are bunched together and give the schools a pass and let the schools send automatic qualifiers.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If Missouri leaves, Big 12 conference will not exist as a NCAA qualifier with 3 teams. If Missouri stays, Big 12 will probably stay as it is this year. The champ is not guaranteed a automatic spot.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Notre Dame dropped wrestling during the '90s. If I remember correctly a donor had left them fully endowed in his will but the AD convinced his senile widow to move the money over to football instead. I might be thinking of another school though.

I think you've got it right. That's pretty much how I remember hearing it.