When will B1G enter realignment discussion?

UofICy

Nov 24, 2006
With other conferences looking to go to 16 members the B1G cannot just sit idle at 12, can it?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Do you really think they are sitting back watching this? They have a plan.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes. I don't know this obsession with people assuming the Big 10 HAS to expand, or if all the good options are taken they will HAVE to take ISU. I agree with the Dodds article from last week: The Big 10 wants brands or markets. They won't expand without one or the other. I'm convinced at this point the best thing for us is absorbing the remaining Big East schools into the Big 12 and going from there using our existing TV contracts.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I don't think they will expand at all. The B10 has never been one to follow other conference's leads. I really can't see the B10 suddenly trying to add teams just because other conferences are doing it.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
How do you know they aren't working behind the scenes and telling the schools that they can't tell anyone about it?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Do you really think they are sitting back watching this? They have a plan.

I'm sure they have a plan, but I doubt they're going to rush into adding programs just for the sake of adding programs. It's not written anywhere that they have to expand. A lot of people seem to think the SEC, ACC, Pac, Big 10 are walking lockstep through this. They're each going to look out for themselves. 14 or 16 may make sense right now for some, but maybe not for all.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Big 10 doesn't have to do anything....THey will be the last to go most likey.
Our chances of them choosing ISU is 5%. And that is on a good day.

Although it makes a lot of sense with us being a great school and a bus ride trip from Minny, Nebby, UI, Wisc, Ill, NW etc.....

It is sad that the Big10 is where we should be. We free up a non conference game with Iowa and have rivals with Nebby, iowa, minny. Too easy.

This is too bad it will never happen. But money drives everything...(for now)

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think they will expand at all. The B10 has never been one to follow other conference's leads. I really can't see the B10 suddenly trying to add teams just because other conferences are doing it.

I agree that it's in their best interest not to expand - especially if their conference champion has equal access to either BCS or potential playoff slots. A one in 12 chance beats a one in 14 or 16 chance.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
espn has not decided to pull the B1G back into this yet so we just have to wait for them to make up a story when it fits their schedule. i think they are waiting on the Big least/b12 conference to completely implode first

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I am suprised that some conference hasn't taken a shot at Penn State. East coast school, big football program, and enough fan base to make a TV market.

ACC might have stabilized themselves but they're not going to rip a school like Penn St away from the B1G. They may have survived the ACC/Big East war by going nuclear before any other conference did, but they don't have the power to rip schools away from the B1G or the SEC. The ACC is just lucky that apparently Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, and Duke don't want to go to the ACC and Virginia Tech and NC State don't want to go to the SEC anymore.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
If I recall correctly one of the main reasons why Mizzou got dropped like a bad habit during the whole first realignment is because they didn't keep their mouths shut. Delaney works behind closed doors, and does not like loose lips. If the B1G is moving towards expansion, they are more than likely using Mizzou as an example to their targets. Leak the info and you're toast.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree that it's in their best interest not to expand - especially if their conference champion has equal access to either BCS or potential playoff slots. A one in 12 chance beats a one in 14 or 16 chance.

There have been many years the ACC and Big East champ didn't deserve an auto bid so 16 ACC to 12 in other leagues may be accurate in getting quality teams into the big games.

The other four leagues have never been close to having no ranked teams to represent them in the BCS.

In terms of level competition, the ACC being 16 teams and Big East leftovers pushing B12 back up to 12 probably is way more fair than 12 and 8 team ACC/Big East getting the same number of auto bids as the Big 12 and SEC every year.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The ACC is not a strong fit athletically for PSU. They would be strong in football, and volleyball, but their basketball program would be at the bottom, and the ACC is an inferior wrestling conference compared to the B10.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
The B1G wont expand unless it involves ND and/or Texas.

PSU nor any other B1G ten team in their right mind would leave, but even if they wanted to I read in 2007 each team signed away the rights to their home games for 25 years.

although, there is a survey out that talks about how many fans each team brings and if its accurate Rutgers clearly had the most fans in NY. Not sure I buy it, but a 2 team expansion with Rutgers based on that could make some sense.

The Geography of College Football Fans (and Realignment Chaos) - NYTimes.com

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
The B1G isn't expanding again until Notre Dame is finally forced to join.

THIS! This all depends on Notre Dame.
I honestly think if all the other conference fill up first and all the schools are taken is a great thing for ISU.
then ISU's Location, academics will allow ISU a "Chance" at the Big 10.

Notre Dame, Mizzou, KU and ISU would add a lot of money. (ND = $$$$, Mizzou would more than pay for itself, KU brings historic brand of basketball and ISU brings location and decent overall in sports according to the directors cup. (average and below in football) But all four of these schools would bring a lot to the table as far as academics.

This being said..we need Rutgers, West Virgina, Uconn to the ACC/SEC

I would even say that Mizzou to the SEC would help us even more, but I really dont want to lose Mizzou. I like haveing some history left.

So I am big Notre Dame to the B1G fans....

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
With other conferences looking to go to 16 members the B1G cannot just sit idle at 12, can it?

When Notre Dame is interested... They have THE best bowl alignments, THE best TV deals, and THE best Conference Network... They don't give a ****, when ND says they want in the B1G, the B1G will pick who they want to be the 14th team.

Now let's be clear, I hate the B1G, and at the same time wish Iowa State was in the B1G, they get things done.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
When Notre Dame is interested... They have THE best bowl alignments, THE best TV deals, and THE best Conference Network... They don't give a ****, when ND says they want in the B1G, the B1G will pick who they want to be the 14th team.

Now let's be clear, I hate the B1G, and at the same time wish Iowa State was in the B1G, they get things done.

Twitterverse now has KU as an ACC candidate. Another AAU school could bite the dust. If Mizzou goes SEC, Rutgers and ISU are really the only candidates left in B1G expansion. Rutgers goes ACC, and ISU has to be Notre Dame's partner almost by default.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron