NCAA strike again

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

BTW - If it would have happened to ISU, they would have lost a year's worth of eligibility.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Seems like that is exactly the same thing as the cap city league.

dornstar44

Apr 10, 2006
Wichita, KS
The Cap City League is sanctioned by the NCAA. This tournament that the Maryland players were in was not. That's the difference, as far as I can tell.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Some of these rules are soooo tacky. How does this differ from the Capital City League that some of the ISU players play in?

ESPN - NCAA violations to sideline two Terps for opener - Men's College Basketball

I'd guess that the Cap City league is sanctioned. And I'm also guessing that the 5 on 5 tourney might have a cash prize? If that was the case, the question begs how would two players - competing for a monetary prize, garner only a one game suspension, and Lucca has to eat a year?

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
The Cap City League is sanctioned by the NCAA. This tournament that the Maryland players were in was not. That's the difference, as far as I can tell.

Yep...

Remember Will Blalock was suspended for the first game against Drake a few years back for his participation in league or game back in Boston.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'd guess that the Cap City league is sanctioned. And I'm also guessing that the 5 on 5 tourney might have a cash prize? If that was the case, the question begs how would two players - competing for a monetary prize, garner only a one game suspension, and Lucca has to eat a year?

You can compete for monitory prizes as an amatuer, you just cannot accept it. It happends all the time in golf. One of those hottie younger golfers did this a few years back, she won tons of $$$ but still wanted to play college golf, so she did not accept it.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
:eek: I'm not entirely familiar with all of the NCAA rules but man, some of this stuff just seems rediculous. Whatever happened to just being allowed to play some basketball?

I mean seriously... whats next? Suspending them for playing a pick up game in the Rec or something?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
You can compete for monitory prizes as an amatuer, you just cannot accept it. It happends all the time in golf. One of those hottie younger golfers did this a few years back, she won tons of $$$ but still wanted to play college golf, so she did not accept it.

Yet Lucca not only didn't accept the money, but didn't even compete for it...

Oh we've been down this road already.... :arghh:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
:eek: I'm not entirely familiar with all of the NCAA rules but man, some of this stuff just seems rediculous. Whatever happened to just being allowed to play some basketball?

I mean seriously... whats next? Suspending them for playing a pick up game in the Rec or something?

I agree, the NCAA seems very hyprocritical and ticky-tacky in a lot of these regulations and rulings. I say as long as the individual being discussed didn't get paid anything themselves: then let them play in whatever game or league they want.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron