Bill Bleil Most Underrated Coach on staff??

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
What does everyone thing about Bleil?? I personally think he is the most underrated coach on our staff. As a hire I know he was one of the only Iowa boys hired, with ties anyway, I was more excited for the Herman and Burham (with son), but honestly Bleil has has done a lot with this being year 3 of this staff, I think I am the most impressed with the consistency of with that area....

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
In 2009 ISU increased its run production by a solid 40-50 yards a game, as ISU ran for 2,300+ yards that season. Outside of the really elite run games (G-tech/Wisconsin last year), 2,300 yards is a pretty damn good total for the average team. I want to say that in the last 7 or so years Iowa has only approached that total once, when Shon Green had 1,800. Bliel impressed me in year 1.

Chzik and McFarland did run a share of zone read plays as well, but had far less success. The offenses weren't exactly comparable though, but I would imagine the YPC in both seasons have been better than in 06/07/08.

I will say I was disappointed early in the 2010 season with run production, but things got better by midseason. I'd be curious to look up the YPC as the season went on.

With young guys specifically recruited for this system by these coaches, year 3 should be a better barometer of the run game.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Still has a lot to prove IMO.

Although, recruiting-wise, this is probably the deepest position group we have. Now he just has to do something with it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What does everyone thing about Bleil?? I personally think he is the most underrated coach on our staff. As a hire I know he was one of the only Iowa boys hired, with ties anyway, I was more excited for the Herman and Burham (with son), but honestly Bleil has has done a lot with this being year 3 of this staff, I think I am the most impressed with the consistency of with that area....

Welcome to cyclone fanatic coach!

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Honestly, who gives a ****. SInce when are coaches "rated"?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No. Shane Burnham is. Then Elliot. Then Messingham. Our Oline was not as good as it could have been last year. I think Bleil is a fine coach, don't get me wrong.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
No. Shane Burnham is. Then Elliot. Then Messingham. Our Oline was not as good as it could have been last year. I think Bleil is a fine coach, don't get me wrong.

Everyone lauds Burnham for his recruiting and Elliot's resume speaks for himself. I'm not sure how either of them can be most underrated. Has to come from one of Messingham, Wells, Bliel, and Bray (even though Bray has been a headhunter recruiter for his past teams) probably. I'd say it's probably Messingham. He's a very good coach.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think Bill has done a great job at ISU. Our O-line will continue to show improvement again this year.

But, I'm a little biased. Bill and I grew up on farms a half mile a part outside of Kingsley.

Help Support Us

Become a patron