Gin Drinkers

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Recently relocated to central Iowa and was hoping there'd be some places in Des Moines I could find some higher end gins. Old Tom's Ransom. Bluecoat. Right. From what I've researched so far though, I'm not seeing it. Any gin drinkers out there know if there's something I'm missing?

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Recently relocated to central Iowa and was hoping there'd be some places in Des Moines I could find some higher end gins. Old Tom's Ransom. Bluecoat. Right. From what I've researched so far though, I'm not seeing it. Any gin drinkers out there know if there's something I'm missing?

I am not saying they do have what you are looking for, but doesn't cyclone liquor right by east Hy-Vee have an big selection of most alcohol? Just an idea.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I am not saying they do have what you are looking for, but doesn't cyclone liquor right by east Hy-Vee have an big selection of most alcohol? Just an idea.

Ames? Didn't think of that, was looking strictly in DSM. Thanks, will check that out.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I haven't been in to gin for several years. But I would strongly recommend Cyclone Liquors. They are peerless in the state of Iowa, and have a very deep selection.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
In Des Moines, you might try Ingersoll Wine and Spirits. I bought a bunch of high-end liquor there for my groomsmen back in the day.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
For me, gin has always been one of those liqours where the more expensive isn't always better. As long as I stay away from low-end plastic jug gins, I feel I get good quality out of Tangurey or Bombay Sapphire. That said, all I use gin for is Gin and Tonics or Gimlets, so maybe I don't drink it the same? It's certainly not like a scotch, where you pay for what you get.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Gin sucks

Cue G&T drinkers to unite

So let me get this straight: You get to state your opinion (Gin sucks), but feel attacked when others state their respected opinions? (Cue G&T drinkers to unite)

Attack first, then play the victim. Sounds cowardly.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
For me, gin has always been one of those liqours where the more expensive isn't always better. As long as I stay away from low-end plastic jug gins, I feel I get good quality out of Tangurey or Bombay Sapphire. That said, all I use gin for is Gin and Tonics or Gimlets, so maybe I don't drink it the same? It's certainly not like a scotch, where you pay for what you get.

I usually have a bottle of No. 10 laying around, but it lasts 18+ months or so. I don't have the pallet to enjoy fine gin, just as many don't have the pallet for fine rum.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
its Des Moines. You will probably only get Tanqueray, Hendricks and Bombay.

You are correct, Des Moines rules!

I have two of those in my liquor cabinet right now. I'd be happy to try something 'higher end' but have never had the occasion. Its not as if any of those are cheapies.

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
in Des Moines go to Central City Liquors on 2nd Ave. They have the largest selection of special order/high end liquors in Iowa. They'll let ya sample some good stuff too usually...:)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron