Pizza on the grill

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Once again it's grilling time and time to continue the quest to grill a pizza which I have done with varying degrees of success and failure.

This time I decided to try my cast iron skillet. I spread my dough across it, then I took Cookies BBQ sauce and mixed in horseradish and spread a thin layer across the dough. I cut up raw shrimp and spread that across the pizza and added a small bit of the sauce on top of each piece of shrimp. Topped it off with deseeded diced Roma tomatoes, fresh basil and and fontina cheese.

I put a small pile of hot coals on each side of the charcoal grill added some soaked hickory chips to the coals, placed the skillet in the center of the grill and closed the cover. About 15-20 minutes later I got a Smoked BBQ Shrimp pizza.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Looks awesome. I started grilling my pizza about 2 years ago & will never use the oven again.

It looks like you use a little thicker crust than I do.....I like mine really thin and crispy, but there's no way I'd turn a piece of that pizza away!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Looks awesome. I started grilling my pizza about 2 years ago & will never use the oven again.

It looks like you use a little thicker crust than I do.....I like mine really thin and crispy, but there's no way I'd turn a piece of that pizza away!
When I make a pizza in the oven I use a stone heated for an hour at 550 and make it thin and crispy. This was just something a little different I wanted to try. About the only drawback was it was a little sloppy when cut. Maybe a little more cheese would fix that as I didn't use too much.
The smoke flavor really adds something special to it.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
i use ciabatta(sp?) bread for crust. then a can of italian style diced tomatoes for the sauce(same thing i'd recommend for use on an oven style homemade pizza). then top with whatever and put on low on the top shelf. a very unique flavor, and very easy to make. it's basically a personal pan pizza, so you can make a bunch of different ones for everyone to try.