There must be a term for these people

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I didn't see this as much when I was in school at ISU because I went during the so called "dark years" of Iowa football from 98-02 when we consistently beat them. However what I have come to witness over the last few years is the amount of alumni, usually women, that seem to forget their team colors when they encounter peer pressure or pressure from a significant other. Not only is my neighbor's wife an ISU grad that openly cheers for the Hawks year round (including the big game) I know four girls at work that are ISU grads. When I first started working with them they were huge ISU supporters but today because of friendships and relationships they have all pretty much dropped their ISU fandom. I happened to be in my old department a few weeks back and I walked by the desk of one of the mentioned girls, she had a Hawk poster pinned on her cube wall. :no:

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
This analogy, while a nice try, fails. Growing up in/being from Boston trumps moving to New York. It's why the founding fathers stipulated that you must be from the USA to run for president here.

So if someone grew up or was from Iowa City, then that would trump going to ISU for 4 years. Right?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You still don't get it, **** you're a retard. Please, please, please explain to me how cheering for a team that you have cheered for since you were 1 year old, and then continuing to cheer for that same team is a bandwagon fan. You are so far off it's getting past the point of being funny, and approaching the point of being just flat out pathetic. Being a bandwagon fan would be switching teams that you root for because of who your friends cheer for or who the majority of people root for; which in this instance would be switching to a cyclone fan. So I'm sorry, but you are the one who can't be helped if you can't see that.

I think that you've proven that YOU are the retard. ISU students who wear hok gear on campus are lowlifes that obviously get off on people giving them nasty looks and talking crap to them. I'm not going to say that all students who grew up hok fans have to root for ISU over iowa, but don't wear that crap on campus...it's a slap in the face to the entire university.

hawkeyefan21

Dec 30, 2010
I think that you've proven that YOU are the retard. ISU students who wear hok gear on campus are lowlifes that obviously get off on people giving them nasty looks and talking crap to them. I'm not going to say that all students who grew up hok fans have to root for ISU over iowa, but don't wear that crap on campus...it's a slap in the face to the entire university.

This has nothing to do with half the stuff you just mentioned. If you read my posts, I have said that I go to ISU, and fully support their athletic programs; I buy season tickets to both football and basketball games. I also don't wear Iowa gear on campus, the only time I do wear Iowa gear in Ames is on game day. For that bred named mikem, I go to ISU, so either I have an IQ of higher than 21, or your university that you are so proud to be from allows students into their school that have IQ's of 21.

I completely understand the poster's point of how college is more than a simple diploma, and that students should embrace that as well as their school's athletics. I feel I have done that completely; coming in as a freshman I hated ISU athletics, but I bought season tickets and eventually began to root for them in sports. The ONE time a year that I don't root for them is when they play Iowa.

My entire argument on this topic is that I'm not going to turn my back on the team that I have grown up cheering for and idolizing. I will continue to root for them, and I will also continue to root for ISU. And for any of you out there that are trying to claim you wouldn't do the exact same if you had gone to Iowa, are flat out lying. I chose to come to ISU because their engineer program is miles ahead of Iowa's, and I don't regret that decision for a minute. I have embraced college life and the athletic programs, and have enjoyed every single second of Cyclone Alley and tailgating on Saturdays.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I don't agree that you should ditch 18 years of fanhood because you chose to go to a different school, but I also think you shouldn't cheer against the school you attend.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This has nothing to do with half the stuff you just mentioned. If you read my posts, I have said that I go to ISU, and fully support their athletic programs; I buy season tickets to both football and basketball games. I also don't wear Iowa gear on campus, the only time I do wear Iowa gear in Ames is on game day. For that bred named mikem, I go to ISU, so either I have an IQ of higher than 21, or your university that you are so proud to be from allows students into their school that have IQ's of 21.

I completely understand the poster's point of how college is more than a simple diploma, and that students should embrace that as well as their school's athletics. I feel I have done that completely; coming in as a freshman I hated ISU athletics, but I bought season tickets and eventually began to root for them in sports. The ONE time a year that I don't root for them is when they play Iowa.

My entire argument on this topic is that I'm not going to turn my back on the team that I have grown up cheering for and idolizing. I will continue to root for them, and I will also continue to root for ISU. And for any of you out there that are trying to claim you wouldn't do the exact same if you had gone to Iowa, are flat out lying. I chose to come to ISU because their engineer program is miles ahead of Iowa's, and I don't regret that decision for a minute. I have embraced college life and the athletic programs, and have enjoyed every single second of Cyclone Alley and tailgating on Saturdays.

You know, if you respect YOUR university enough to not wear your iowa gear on campus and you only root against ISU one game a year, I don't have a problem with you. Some people are not able to ever give up that team they grew up rooting for. My problem is more with people who DO wear iowa gear on campus throughout the year. Funny, I had friends who grew up hawk fans and went to ISU...iowa fans do a better job of converting them to Clones than ISU ever could. It takes about one trip to IC (or eastern Iowa in general) wearing Clone gear.

BTW, you probably shouldn't be continuously calling people retard who disagree with you. It doesn't help get your point across.

Last edited:

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
You know, if you respect YOUR university enough to not wear your iowa gear on campus and you only root against ISU one game a year, I don't have a problem with you. Some people are not able to ever give up that team they grew up rooting for. My problem is more with people who DO wear iowa gear on campus throughout the year. Funny, I had friends who grew up hawk fans and went to ISU...iowa fans do a better job of converting them to Clones than ISU ever could. It takes about one trip to IC (or eastern Iowa in general) wearing Clone gear.

BTW, you probably shouldn't be continuously calling people retard who disagree with you. It doesn't help get your point across.

Cuz I get treated SO well when I come to Ames for the game in my Iowa gear. My God, what a double standard.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Cuz I get treated SO well when I come to Ames for the game in my Iowa gear. My God, what a double standard.

Maybe you were being the DB that you are on this site and didn't deserve to be treated better? All I know is that our tailgate has been at least 1/4 hawkeye if not 1/3 every time that iowa has played in Ames recently and other than some smack talking, those iowa fans have had very few problems. In fact, they would rather see ISU/iowa in Ames than in IC because they know how visiting fans are treated there and how their friends would be treated. Honestly, you guys should be ashamed of how your fanbase treats opposing fans. Yeah, yeah, it happens everywhere...right. It does, but iowa fan takes it to a level above what most fanbases do.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
You still don't get it, **** you're a retard. Please, please, please explain to me how cheering for a team that you have cheered for since you were 1 year old, and then continuing to cheer for that same team is a bandwagon fan. You are so far off it's getting past the point of being funny, and approaching the point of being just flat out pathetic. Being a bandwagon fan would be switching teams that you root for because of who your friends cheer for or who the majority of people root for; which in this instance would be switching to a cyclone fan. So I'm sorry, but you are the one who can't be helped if you can't see that.

I have a family member who is mentally handicapped. I find this word extremely offensive, and you've resorted to using it at least 3 times in this thread.

Find a new way to express your views without using this word, please. It's not clever. It's an insult to people who have done nothing to you.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Maybe you were being the DB that you are on this site and didn't deserve to be treated better? All I know is that our tailgate has been at least 1/4 hawkeye if not 1/3 every time that iowa has played in Ames recently and other than some smack talking, those iowa fans have had very few problems. In fact, they would rather see ISU/iowa in Ames than in IC because they know how visiting fans are treated there and how their friends would be treated. Honestly, you guys should be ashamed of how your fanbase treats opposing fans. Yeah, yeah, it happens everywhere...right. It does, but iowa fan takes it to a level above what most fanbases do.

So I am a DB fan because I come to this site? Please. I was with my ISU friends and didn't do anything wrong. So you are saying that Iowa fans that catch crap in Ames probably deserve it and ISU fans that catch crap in IA City don't? It isn't that easy.

I know you guys have your stories of how bad IA fans treat opposing fanbases, but I personally have never seen it as much of an issue. I went there for my final 2 years and went to every home game along with 3 away games and the experience was the same every game I went to. Some crap talking, some good football talk and a lot of drinks. Am I not hanging around the crowd that is starting some of the "worse" stuff? No, I am not. But I wasn't doing that in Ames, either, when I had a full water bottle smack me in the back of the head. In fact the guy I was with was a former walk-on for ISU. Other than that, haven't had too many issues in Ames or anywhere for that matter.

I am not saying that IA City isn't bad, because I have even heard die hard Iowa fans say it can be. I trust them. I, myself, haven't seen it. But again, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But don't call me a DB and say I "deserved" it, when that is absolutely false.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Nothing sticks under my crawl more than an Iowa State University student or graduate rooting for the Hawkeyes when they play the Cyclones. That is just plain wrong. I do not have a double standard. I would say the same thing about a University of Iowa student or graduate rooting for the Cyclones when they play the Hawkeyes.

Going to one college and rooting for another is like going to one high school and rooting for another; or being a member of one professional sports team and rooting for another in the same league. It is just not right.

I am an Iowa State University graduate. I am a Loyal Son for Ever True!!!

Go Cyclones!!!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You are also equating lifelong in very limited terms. College is about exploration, and self discovery. Now, what Al is saying is pretty simple....In the Fall, it is easier to be a u fan than an Iowa State fan. He is also correct when he says if Iowa State was winning, and Iowa was losing, then the casual fan would be more inclined to support Iowa State....That's just human nature.

The other thing that u fans never want to cop to is that when they sucked for the 60's and 70's, their attendance was not exceptional either. When they were constantly finishing 8-10 in the Big 10, they were not selling out, even with the curious attendance math they use to call all of those "sell-outs."

That is another of those myths that those "people" have built up over the years. My dad was a life long u fan, and went to games in the 60's and 70's, with 35,000 of his fellow u fans, and that was against tOSU, and Michigan.

It's all of the rationalizing those "people" do, kind of like the "superbowl" thing.

Gonzo, I was going to ask you how all of this shaped your UNI fandom, but....

I'm an Iowa fan. I went there. So apparently that's ok.

Not that there's anything wrong with UNI. I just went to another school. So how on earth could I be a fan?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
So I am a DB fan because I come to this site? Please. I was with my ISU friends and didn't do anything wrong. So you are saying that Iowa fans that catch crap in Ames probably deserve it and ISU fans that catch crap in IA City don't? It isn't that easy.

I know you guys have your stories of how bad IA fans treat opposing fanbases, but I personally have never seen it as much of an issue. I went there for my final 2 years and went to every home game along with 3 away games and the experience was the same every game I went to. Some crap talking, some good football talk and a lot of drinks. Am I not hanging around the crowd that is starting some of the "worse" stuff? No, I am not. But I wasn't doing that in Ames, either, when I had a full water bottle smack me in the back of the head. In fact the guy I was with was a former walk-on for ISU. Other than that, haven't had too many issues in Ames or anywhere for that matter.

I am not saying that IA City isn't bad, because I have even heard die hard Iowa fans say it can be. I trust them. I, myself, haven't seen it. But again, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But don't call me a DB and say I "deserved" it, when that is absolutely false.

No, I'm saying that by the tone of your posts here, maybe you ARE a DB and deserved it. Maybe not, but all I have to go by are your posts and you don't seem too hesitant to start flaming here.

IC can be bad and IS bad for opposing fans. I've seen too many instances and heard too many stories to believe differently. When you get hit with a full beercan or raw hamburger or get challenged to a fight because said beercan hit a hok fan instead of you...and all for wearing a red shirt while not doing anything inflamatory, that is all the evidence I need. I won't be going back there ever. Well, maybe when Nebraska plays there in 2012 just to see the look at those guys' faces when they start getting stuff thrown at them and berated on the sidewalk for wearing the red N...that will be priceless because they are NOT prepared for that kind of treatment.

Personally, I would like to stop playing iowa all together so I don't have to see any of you guys in our parking lots (except for the 2-3 hok fans who come to every one of our tailgates because they are more fun than driving to IC).

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
No, I'm saying that by the tone of your posts here, maybe you ARE a DB and deserved it. Maybe not, but all I have to go by are your posts and you don't seem too hesitant to start flaming here.

IC can be bad and IS bad for opposing fans. I've seen too many instances and heard too many stories to believe differently. When you get hit with a full beercan or raw hamburger or get challenged to a fight because said beercan hit a hok fan instead of you...and all for wearing a red shirt while not doing anything inflamatory, that is all the evidence I need. I won't be going back there ever. Well, maybe when Nebraska plays there in 2012 just to see the look at those guys' faces when they start getting stuff thrown at them and berated on the sidewalk for wearing the red N...that will be priceless because they are NOT prepared for that kind of treatment.

Personally, I would like to stop playing iowa all together so I don't have to see any of you guys in our parking lots (except for the 2-3 hok fans who come to every one of our tailgates because they are more fun than driving to IC).

Besides my Smart? post, which was a joke, show me my flaming posts that I have made. Yes I tell my point of view and argue my stance, but PLEASE show me how I have "flamed" on this site. You don't have very thick skin if you think what I am doing is "flaming".

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I tried being a fan of the Clones my freshman year, but I decided to continue to root for the Hawks just to **** Al off.

wsrgohawks

Sep 13, 2008
Rural Bremer County
Could the stories of ISU fans getting abused in Iowa City be a bit over-exaggerated? Just a question, because nearly every single opposing fan I have ever talked to or seen on a message board commends Iowa for how well they were treated in and around Kinnick. Are you gonna get a few drunk guys yelling profanity about Iowa State? Maybe, but you get unruly drunk people at every stadium you go to.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I tried being a fan of the Clones my freshman year, but I decided to continue to root for the Hawks just to **** Al off.

You are still a dbag, znd should go join you buddy SplitIdentity and hangout in each other's moms basement.

Or the field of dreams.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Besides my Smart? post, which was a joke, show me my flaming posts that I have made. Yes I tell my point of view and argue my stance, but PLEASE show me how I have "flamed" on this site. You don't have very thick skin if you think what I am doing is "flaming".

Like I am going to waste my time digging through your flaming posts. Un-freaking-likely.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron