Another Save Cy e-mail

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Got this today....

Hello again Save Cy volunteer!

The Save Cy movement now has over 4,100 signatures and has gotten some great media exposure including the ISU Daily, The Ames Tribune, The Des Moines Register, Sound Off, WHO TV 13 News and KCCI TV 8 News among others. In addition, two independent polls confirmed that the vast majority of Cyclone fans are for keeping Cy on the helmet - over 80%. At this point we don't expect any more media exposure, so it is now up to you to ensure we reach our goal of 10,000 signatures.

I have attached a petition sheet you can print out and pass around your office, dorm, classroom, etc. Once it is filled out please either email me the form or just the info from the form OR enter the names on the SaveCy! website. If people don't want to provide you with their email address simply email me the other info and I will get them signed up.

You cared enough to sign the petition and to volunteer to help, and we have contacted you in the past about helping so if you already have then thank you. It is important that you know that the fate of Cy on the helmet really does rest with you now. The Save Cy movement was started by four people and we have done all we can do. We know you are busy - so are we. We are alumni who have full time jobs, families, hobbies and all the other stuff going on, yet we found time to stand up for a cause we feel strongly about. Now it's your turn, I know you feel the same way.

We have over 400 volunteers - if each of them, like you, got 20 signatures each (one of the attached sheets), that would be an additional 8,000 signatures, which would put us over our initial goal of 10,000!

Thanks in advance for your help. We CAN Save Cy but doing so will take support from you - it is all about numbers so we need all of the signatures we can possibly get. The time is NOW and it's up to YOU - let's take a stand!

Sincerely,

Tom Wacha
One of the Save Cy petition organizers

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They would better serve the department by having each of their 400 volunteers going out and trying to get 20 people to join NCC... What a waste of time and effort trying to divide the fan base...

goldmember

May 31, 2006
4,100 people who don't have a clue. Cy is not going anywhere, it just won't be on the helmet. Let me see 200K Living Alumni, more 36,000 football season ticket holders, over 55,000 Alumni Assoc. members and they have 4,100 Signatures since July......big freaking deal. I agree Cybsball20, why don't they do something constructive for the atheltic department.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
4,100 people who don't have a clue. Cy is not going anywhere, it just won't be on the helmet. Let me see 200K Living Alumni, more 36,000 football season ticket holders, over 55,000 Alumni Assoc. members and they have 4,100 Signatures since July......big freaking deal. I agree Cybsball20, why don't they do something constructive for the atheltic department.

I disagree. I have a clue. I know what is going on, that doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion that I don't like what is going on. I'm sure they all support ISU athletics which to me is somethign positive for the program.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

My understanding was that it was also not going to be on the 50 yard line of Jack Trice anymore and was also not going to be at half court at Hilton?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I disagree. I have a clue. I know what is going on, that doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion that I don't like what is going on. I'm sure they all support ISU athletics which to me is somethign positive for the program.

I don't want to come off as jumping down your throat or anything Jonesy, you have the right to your opinion. But did you voice your displeasure during the voting for the new helmet?

People had the opportunity a few months back during the whole voting process. Sure, bird in a blender wasn't one of the options. But neither was a cardinal helmet - and enough people apparently griped about so it got changed.

I guess I'm just wondering where all these people were with their petitions and opinions when it mattered? I for one, didn't hear much back in July-August.

In the interest of full disclosure, I hated the old logo (love the old school ones however, and wish they would go back to those) and otherwise love the new one.

And in regards to the letter posted above. 80% my foot!

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
4,100 people who don't have a clue. Cy is not going anywhere, it just won't be on the helmet.

Perhaps you may need a clue as well. Cy is no longer the primary athletic mark for ISU athletics...I-State is. Cy is now the secondary mark. As the secondary mark, Cy is going to disappear from most everything, probably within the year.

Last edited:

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
I responded to the email and asked that my name be removed since I had not seen the new logo and have changed my mind. I asked to be removed from there email list and asked that they acknowledge the fact that they are back down to 4099!

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I responded to the email and asked that my name be removed since I had not seen the new logo and have changed my mind. I asked to be removed from there email list and asked that they acknowledge the fact that they are back down to 4099!

Now THAT is funny! I honestly wish these petitioners would start a grass-roots movement for donating to the NCC or the Gridiron Club. Contrary to what that email states, they will not be able to change anything! This has been decided, and everyone will have to get on board - whether they want Cy on the helmet or not. I am sure there was the same amount of displeasure 12 years ago when we made the switch TO the whirlybird (probably from the same people).

I have never liked the whirlybird on the helmet - as a logo it was fine, but not on the helmet. name another school that has such a convoluted, busy logo on their helmet.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
They would better serve the department by having each of their 400 volunteers going out and trying to get 20 people to join NCC... What a waste of time and effort trying to divide the fan base...

similar to the people that pay premium memberships to recruiting websites would be better off giving the money instead to the athletic department or using it to increase NCC level. Anyway, these guys are dusches, cy will not be on our helmet anytime soon after november...thank god.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I do like the new logo/colors. But, everyone does have a right to their opinion (even if you don't like it - that is the hardest part for most of us!). Maybe you all should start a grass roots effort to raise money for the NCC! Or maybe you should donate to CF and start a grass roots effort to get more people to do that.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
similar to the people that pay premium memberships to recruiting websites would be better off giving the money instead to the athletic department or using it to increase NCC level. Anyway, these guys are dusches, cy will not be on our helmet anytime soon after november...thank god.

------
Excuse me, please do not assume you know better, or judge how other people spend or divide their money.

If you do not want to belog to a premium site and feel there are better uses for your money, that is fine. However, do assume everyone agrees with you and if they don't they are not supporting ISU enough

Each site has its own benefits and caters to that audience. Each has those that donate to the NCC and those that don't. Each has fans that buy season tickets and those that don't. Each has fans that stay the whole time, and those that leave early for whatever reason. Each has those that stand, and those that sit, etc, etc, etc

In my opinion, it is really time to stop being so critical of and judgemental of fans who for their own personal reasons make differing decisions, conclusions and priorities in their choices. Not one of us can really judge how another ends up making a decision or choice in this area.

I am sure there are many NCC Memebers on CF who provide major support and donations to ISU in addition to buying tickets.. I am sure there are also those who for whatever reason cannot donate or buy tickets. All should be encouraged, but very rarerly condemmed.

It is probably the same or more so on CR. There was an informal poll a few months ago of the premium members on what NCC level they were and if they were NCC members. I cannot remember the exact percentatge, but a large portion were NCC members. I also remember that if all were giving at the minumum donation level (and many would be higher) for their level, these same CR members were genreating over $350-400,0000 in annual donations to the NCC. They are already paying for premium ISU information, and that might make them more likely to donate as well. I do not know if this is true or not, but it seems likely.

NCC membership could be the same or higher at CF, who knows.

Just don't judge how someone else should spend their own money.

Thanks

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron