Stanford athletes have list of "easy courses"

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, well, looks like Stanford student-athletes have a good way to raise or maintain their GPA's - by being steered to and using a secret "special list" of easy courses...

Stanford athletes had access to list of ‘easy’ courses | Stanford Daily

"The classes on the list were “always chock-full of athletes and very easy As,” added Kira Maker, a women’s soccer player, who used the list her freshman year.
Titled “courses of interest,” the list was distributed by the Athletic Academic Resource Center. Advisers in other departments at the University said they were unaware such a list existed."

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No different than any other upper tier public institution. Michigan, Texas, Miami.....they all have these things. You have to to be competitive.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
ISU athletes are often steered toward easier courses and majors as well. This isn't rocket science. Athletes often look at school as a means to an end.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
How do I go about getting my hands on a list here at ISU?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
There have been reports out there that it is very hard to Flunk out of Stanford, actually they hand out mostly A's, B's and C's. You have to be doing something very wrong to get anything less than a C at Stanford even if you are below C work. They feel that you worked your tail off to get into their University and they do their best to get everyone thru Stanford with a C average or better. Not to say that they skate thru school, as most of those kids are motivated by grades, but some get in and skate by with the Stanford C's.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Well, there must be something "wrong" with the list, as Stanford's Athletic Academic Resource Center has suddenly stopped publishing it...

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Well, well, looks like Stanford student-athletes have a good way to raise or maintain their GPA's - by being steered to and using a secret "special list" of easy courses...

Stanford athletes had access to list of ‘easy’ courses | Stanford Daily

"The classes on the list were “always chock-full of athletes and very easy As,â€￾ added Kira Maker, a women’s soccer player, who used the list her freshman year.
Titled “courses of interest,â€￾ the list was distributed by the Athletic Academic Resource Center. Advisers in other departments at the University said they were unaware such a list existed."

As a former college athlete i can tell you every college has something similar.

I even had an advisor with the athletic department recommend I switch my major to general studies and pick a computer related minor so it would allow me to never have a conflict with practice or off season workouts. He told me it would set me up for a great career like a manager at Scheels or Cabelas:rolleyes:. I told him i will stick with my current plan, but thanks.

Alot of the advisors that work solely with athletes know that their main job is to keep the athletes eligible and steer them in whatever direction will make that possible.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Well, there must be something "wrong" with the list, as Stanford's Athletic Academic Resource Center has suddenly stopped publishing it...

The only reason that this is an "issue" is because Stanford prides themself on their high academic standards so much. The fact that th ARC actually steers athletes towarsd these classes is a bit shady, but most would probably find themselves in an easier major anyways.

As stated, all FBS football teams have players who take easy courses and have easy majors.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I don't know if there's really anything "wrong" with it. It just doesn't look good, even if it's within the rules.

I'm sure Iowa does this as well, though players are allowed to pursue more difficult studies (Jake Rudock is planning on enrolling pre-med, and there's at least a few other player taking similarly tough courses).

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The only reason that this is an "issue" is because Stanford prides themself on their high academic standards so much. The fact that th ARC actually steers athletes towarsd these classes is a bit shady, but most would probably find themselves in an easier major anyways.

As stated, all FBS football teams have players who take easy courses and have easy majors.

Not all student athletes at Stanford or any other school take the easy way out. If you are a prospect and want a good academic school for future endeavors, Stanford is still a very good choice.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Not all student athletes at Stanford or any other school take the easy way out. If you are a prospect and want a good academic school for future endeavors, Stanford is still a very good choice.

Did I say that ALL student athletes at Stanford or any school take the easy way out?

I said all teams have players who do. Maybe I should have said some players.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No different than any other upper tier public institution. Michigan, Texas, Miami.....they all have these things. You have to to be competitive.

Those are fine schools, but are not at the academic level of Stanford, which is one of the top academic institutions in the world.

Besides, as the article mentions:
"Officials discontinued the list last week after student reporters working for California Watch began asking about it."

If the Stanford athletic dept. was proud of the list, and stood by its purpose, they would still be using it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Those are fine schools, but are not at the academic level of Stanford, which is one of the top academic institutions in the world.

Besides, as the article mentions:
"Officials discontinued the list last week after student reporters working for California Watch began asking about it."

If the Stanford athletic dept. was proud of the list, and stood by its purpose, they would still be using it.

url

Much like evil clowns needing love, Stanford also has to fund its athletic department. You ultimately fund athletics by winning.

The fact that it's a vocal minority that is outraged about this should tell you something - it's largely a nonstory that those with some kind of pent-up righteous indignation are trying to turn into one.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Much like evil clowns needing love, Stanford also has to fund its athletic department. You ultimately fund athletics by winning.

The fact that it's a vocal minority that is outraged about this should tell you something - it's largely a nonstory that those with some kind of pent-up righteous indignation are trying to turn into one.

That picture is incredibly disturbing. Why do you have such a thing lying around?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron