College athletics = sweat shops?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Is college athletics a sweatshop? - CNN.com

I figured that a $10.6 billion industry might be one that has not escaped the attention of America's labor leaders, which is why I made the call to the top man in the United Steelworkers union. Gerard said that he has, indeed, given long thought to the college athletes' place in the U.S. workforce. And, while not taking an official position on whether they should collect regular paychecks, he came close enough by saying what he believes should be accepted as a matter of fairness:
"They are entitled to representation, and they are entitled to negotiate as a group."
Gerard said that for years, "the NCAA has simply played the collegiate athletes like they were fiddles." He said that the big universities and the big broadcast networks are "making money off the backs of these athletes." And to those who argue that there is not enough money coming in to pay the athletes, and that to do so would result in both the athletic departments and the broader universities having to cut back on programs and services, he said:
"If you had collective bargaining rights, there would have to be economic disclosures."
Meaning that if the college athletes were represented by a union, or a union-like entity, the universities would have to open their books to the negotiators.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands

Im going to get killed but...

They or you guys, whoever is reading this, get a scholarship to go thats worth what 25k to 75k a year depending on where you go. I know some are not going to necessarily get educated but that a chunk of change they dont have to worry about later in life. And I think injuries from what I understand are cared for by the Institution.

Given NCAA make HUGE loads of money off them but they DO get comped. Plus I dont care what you say I dont want one kid get more than other because of sport he or she is in or the yards they carried the ball.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sweat shops? Please. They get benefits above and beyond the average college student including tuition, room and board, training table, medical care, athletic training and tutoring.

The answer is no.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Sweat shops? Please. They get benefits above and beyond the average college student including tuition, room and board, training table, medical care, athletic training and tutoring.

The answer is no.

Totally agree.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

The answer is no.

It also give many an advantage to many when they enter the labor market.

Reactions: VeloClone

ameshammer

Dec 31, 2008
Ankeny
Participation in college sports is a voluntary activity. If the treatment college athletes recieve is similar to that of sweat shop employees, sign my *** up!

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agree that they get compensated, therefore there is no case. However, I DO think that players should be allowed to have endorsements. But, those endorsements can't have anything to do with the sport that they play (see: Jeremy Bloom and his skiing endorsements). If they're looking at getting into acting, they should be able to accept a part in a movie, so long as that part doesn't have anything to do with their ability in their chosen sport (Darnell Autry at Northwestern had to win an appeal just to get a very small role in a film a while back).

Things like that should be okay. I swear, some of the opportunities that they have to pass up because of the NCAA are ridiculous. Hell, I remember Drew Tate won a hole-in-one contest, and had to turn down the prize money. How does one rig a hole-in-one contest? And don't give me that scene from "Space Jam" as an example lol.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
Im glad other here see it similar to me but what is scary is how much this is picking up speed and belief in the national media.

Theyll get it changed soon and then it will take some of the magic of college football away for me.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Why does every media member want college football to turn into the NFL? Pay players, super-conferences, and a playoff. All would destroy college football and college athletics as a whole. I guess that's the point now a days.

The problem isn't paying the players. The problem is the NCAA. If the governing body of college athletics wasn't full of corrupt money grubbing hogs, the system would work perfectly.