Receiver Situation: 2011

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Our receiving core struggled quite a bit this past year (besides Williams) and I was wondering what people thought of our receiving core this next year. I know Darks, S. Johnson (Bust IMO), Lenz, and "Money" are notables coming back this next year, but do we have any others to look out for coming into spring ball and then into the start of the season??

Our receivers will need to step up big time this next year if we want to be successful because of a new starter at the QB position in 2011. I don't see the QB next year to be able to make up for the receivers inabilities if they have some. But you never know I guess. Maybe Steele is the next Seneca!!!! :yes:

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I assume "a chance to start" is a big selling point for incoming WR recruits - well all recruits at ISU really ... but no position more than WR

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
I look for Josh Lenz and hopefully Ernst Brun to be our top receivers in 2011. Hopefully everybody focuses on their catching abilities in the spring. If we somehow have the most accurate QB in the world, it won't mean a thing if the receivers can't catch.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I hope money can have a breakout year, he needs to be an outside threat.
Maybe Jennert or Darks can improve produce well.

In the slot, I'm looking for Lenz obviously, I think he is our best returning receiver. West, Gary, Lampkin, or maybe even Nealy need to produce as well.

We basically dont have any big receivers that I would think would be the prototype #1 that you usually want, but we haven't had that since Blythe.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Darks, Lenz, and Reynolds are the starters. West/Gary, Jennert, and Blanton will be the next ones on the field. I'm interested to see Jarvis West and Albert Gary in the slot.

This groups depends on who wins the QB race.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

In the slot, I'm looking for Lenz obviously, I think he is our best returning receiver. West, Gary, Lampkin, or maybe even Nealy need to produce as well.

We basically dont have any big receivers that I would think would be the prototype #1 that you usually want, but we haven't had that since Blythe.
The last time we had a consistently productive offense we had a solid, dependable receiver in RJ Sumrall.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA

We basically don't have any big receivers that I would think would be the prototype #1 that you usually want, but we haven't had that since Blythe.

I have heard Jennert is suppose to be good. He's got the height for sure. I'm guessing a possession receiver or am I wrong? Anyone else heard anything on that guy?

And it's true. R.J. was a beast and very reliable back in the day. That's when our offense was clickin'.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I have heard Jennert is suppose to be good. He's got the height for sure. I'm guessing a possession receiver or am I wrong? Anyone else heard anything on that guy?

And it's true. R.J. was a beast and very reliable back in the day. That's when our offense was clickin'.

I forgot about RJ. He was very dependable. I think Jennert is a Blythe type from what I've heard, only probably faster.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

We need a real deep threat.

We need an accurate qb to see what our recievers can do.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Our receiving core struggled quite a bit this past year (besides Williams) and I was wondering what people thought of our receiving core this next year. I know Darks, S. Johnson (Bust IMO), Lenz, and "Money" are notables coming back this next year, but do we have any others to look out for coming into spring ball and then into the start of the season??

Our receivers will need to step up big time this next year if we want to be successful because of a new starter at the QB position in 2011. I don't see the QB next year to be able to make up for the receivers inabilities if they have some. But you never know I guess. Maybe Steele is the next Seneca!!!! :yes:

I'm just the opposite. I think a good, accurate QB can make up for a lot of WR deficiencies. If you lay it right in their hands, they have to make the catch at least 50 percent of the time and hopefully more, otherwise, they'd be DBs. A good QB who can read the field and pick the right receiver 90 percent of the time would be useful too.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron