Replay reviews called so late

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why do the refs so often wait so long to call for the official replay review? It seems that they usually wait right until another play is ready to start.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Takes time to get an initial review of the play to see if it needs an replay review. Keep in mind it's not like this takes minutes - the play clock is only measured in seconds. It has to happen pretty fast.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
I've never been a replay fan. I'd rather complain about the ref's bad calls than sit through 5+ minute reviews that end in "The call on the field stands..."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Takes time to get an initial review of the play to see if it needs an replay review. Keep in mind it's not like this takes minutes - the play clock is only measured in seconds. It has to happen pretty fast.

It seems that everyone else knows there needs to be a review before the refs call for it. Teams try to rush to get a play started. I wish they would call for itore quickly if they are going to do so. Maybe they have some system of confirming the need for the review. If it is just one guy making the call for the review, why does he so often take so long?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It seems that everyone else knows there needs to be a review before the refs call for it. Teams try to rush to get a play started. I wish they would call for itore quickly if they are going to do so. Maybe they have some system of confirming the need for the review. If it is just one guy making the call for the review, why does he so often take so long?

TV has the benefit of getting numerous replays up on the screen very fast. Seems like it's a long time between plays but it's not.