Best Des Moines Restaurants?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Me and the family are making the move to the Des Moines area and don't know a lot about what it has to offer. Have checked out obvious websites and reviews but thought I'd see what people here think. When it comes to restaurants in and around Des Moines, what would you say:

Best Steakhouse?

Best Seafood?

Best Italian?

Best Pizza?

Best Asian/Sushi?

Best Indian?

Best Sandwich?

Best Breakfast?

Best place for kids?

Best upscale place for an evening out without kids?

Most interesting place/menu?

Any opinions, whether on all of the above or just a few, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
Fyi, the Des Moines Register compiled a survey of the best 100 restaurants in Des Moines and published it sometime earlier in the year. I believe you can still access this list on their web site. This paper routinely reviews restaurants in its Datebook section, which is published as part of the paper each Thursday. Pardon me if you already knew all this.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Me and the family are making the move to the Des Moines area and don't know a lot about what it has to offer. Have checked out obvious websites and reviews but thought I'd see what people here think. When it comes to restaurants in and around Des Moines, what would you say:

Best Steakhouse? Johnny's Italian Steakhouse is one of my faves for steaks. Also Iowa Beef Steakhouse

Best Seafood? Waterfront

Best Italian? Cafe Di Scala HANDS DOWN

Best Pizza? Felix and Oscars

Best Asian/Sushi? Taki

Best Indian? India Star

Best Sandwich? B&B Grocery

Best Breakfast? The Waveland

Best place for kids? All Play

Best upscale place for an evening out without kids? Django

Most interesting place/menu? Zingaro

Any opinions, whether on all of the above or just a few, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would also add

Best Thai - Thai Flavors
Best Place to take out of towners - Fong's
Family Dinner - Latin King
If you HAVE to eat in West Des Moines - Gino's West
Best Bar Food - AK's Beaverdale or Mullet's
Best Patio - Saints Pub and Patio

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Fyi, the Des Moines Register compiled a survey of the best 100 restaurants in Des Moines and published it sometime earlier in the year. I believe you can still access this list on their web site. This paper routinely reviews restaurants in its Datebook section, which is published as part of the paper each Thursday. Pardon me if you already knew all this.

Nope, hadn't seen that. Will track it down. Thanks much.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Best place for kids is Americas Incredible Pizza Co. Now there pizza actually sucks. However the games and atmosphere are great.

B and B is the best sandwhich hands down.

Tumeas and berattas are the best Italian resturant

Reactions: cyclonepower

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Best Steakhouse? Texas Roadhouse in Johnston is a great place to get a steak, other favorites are Chicago Speakeasy for Prime Rib, also Now or Later Rib eye is great and the have a smoked Prime Rib as a special on Thursday nights I think it's on University between the Fair Grounds and Pleasant Hill.

Best Seafood?

Best Italian? Latin King recommend the Chicken Spiedini

Best Pizza? Bordanaros on SW 9th, Pagliai's in Johnston on M.H. also I heard the son of La Pizza House owner opened a place in Bondurant

Best Asian/Sushi?

Best Indian?

Best Sandwich? Italian Sausage Norwood Tap E 29th & Broadway, Burger Victors on Douglas in Urbandale, and Palmer's Deli, Tenderloin Now or Later

Best Breakfast? Dahls has always been my favorite at a reasonable price

Best place for kids? In Play by the well but I think it has a new name

Best upscale place for an evening out without kids? 801

Most interesting place/menu? Fong's off court

also Ribs Claxons in Altoona

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Best Steakhouse? Iowa Beef

Best Seafood? Not qualified to comment

Best Italian? Latin King/Tumea and Son's/Barrata's

Best Pizza? By the slice: Big Tomato; As an entree: Fong's. I'm a big fan of weird pizza though.

Best Asian/Sushi? Asian: Thai Flavors/Cool Basil (same owners), A Dong; Sushi: Miaybi 9

Best Indian? Tandoor

Best Sandwich? B&B Grocery, Manhattan Deli

Best Breakfast? Waveland, Jethro's

Best place for kids? Don't have them

Best upscale place for an evening out without kids? Centro/Django. I'll give Django the nod due to it's lack of a corking fee.

Most interesting place/menu? Hessen Haus. I'm German, and love German food. You don't see it at many restaurants.

I'll add a few categories.

Best local fast food: Tasty Tacos

Best BBQ: Woody's/Jethro's/Uncle Wendell's. There are a lot of other very good options, though.

Best Bar Food: High Life/Mullet's/AK's

Places to take out-of-towners: Hessen Haus and El Bait Shop. Lots of my friends from out of town want to go to High Life and Jethro's because of Man v. Food, too.

Best Beer Selection: El Bait Shop

Last edited:

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Well Cityview's "Best Of" awards will be out on the stands in February. You can check out last year's winners online. Otherwise, for those of you here spouting your favorites, vote now online for this year's winners.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you want a steak in Des Moines, don't go to Texas Roadhouse unless you want to sit in line for an hour before getting seated, listen to ear splitting country music, get poor service and pay $20 for an incredibly average steak.

Oh, but I guess that cinnamon butter makes it worth it, or something like that.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

Best BBQ: Woody's/Jethro's/Uncle Wendell's. There are a lot of other very good options, though.

Places to take out-of-towners: Hessen Haus and El Bait Shop. Lots of my friends from out of town want to go to High Life and Jethro's because of Man v. Food, too.

Then you can go next door to the High Life Lounge and get a fried SPAM sandwich. MMMMMmmmmmmm. Good!!!!!

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
I love Tasty Tacos for a quick meal - 2 original flour tacos I'm a happy fella

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
If you want a steak in Des Moines, don't go to Texas Roadhouse unless you want to sit in line for an hour before getting seated, listen to ear splitting country music, get poor service and pay $20 for an incredibly average steak.

Lonestar on 22nd St in WDM has just as good steak as Roadhouse, IMO. It is quieter as well.

Or head west down on I-80, take the Booneville exit and go to Rube's where you can get a whole cow to throw on the grill. I love their sirloins, but I realize that grilling your own steak isn't for everyone -- especially when you are paying the prices Rube's charges.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Also, I can't believe nobody has mentioned When Pigs Fly for bar-b-que. It is owned and operated by a former ISU football player, Hezekhia Jackson.

It is on 86th right near the Walgreens in that shopping center. I have eaten there several times and it is great.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

Always trying to push your Tasty Tacos agenda. Never been so damn underwhelmed in my life.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM

agreed, its ok but best in the city????? Rubes fan here, has anyone had Caffrey's?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Best BBQ-Smokey D's.
Best Sammich-B@B Grocery store
Best Pizza-Bordenaro's, Scornavacas
Best Fast Food- Tasty Taco's is the best ever
Best Italian - Tumeas, Berattas, Ricciellies (SP?)
Best Breakfast-Waveland
Best atmosphere-Skips on Fleur.

Help Support Us

Become a patron