Laser eye surgery - your experience?

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I stopped being a giant chicken and had laser surgery yesterday for severe astigmatism and farsightedness. They put 'bandage contacts' in my eyes, to be removed later today in a follow up visit. Has anyone else had these - does some of the fuzziness go away after they're out? How long until the world is in focus?

I'm amazed at how much I can see without my glasses - but I'm looking forward to the final results and hope they're as good as what I've heard from others who had the procedure.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Never had those. I had it done about 12 years ago. Then they put big plastic covers over your eyes. My guess is that it will clear up when they are removed. It may still take you some time to adjust to your new vision though. Similar to when you use to have to get new glasses.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
Didn't go so well for me.

danger+room.png

• Funny
Reactions: MrApathy

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
I could see pretty well a few hours later and then I was 20/20 the next day. Smartest move I ever made (after marrying my wife)

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
best thing I ever did - that includes voting for Clones21 for poster of the year.

I didn't have astigmatism so I'm assuming the bandage contacts are part of that - I did have pretty severe dryness the first week that kinda sucked, but after that its been amazing. still 20/15 6 yrs later.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
best thing I ever did - that includes voting for Clones21 for poster of the year.

I didn't have astigmatism so I'm assuming the bandage contacts are part of that - I did have pretty severe dryness the first week that kinda sucked, but after that its been amazing. still 20/15 6 yrs later.
:yes::cool:

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Five years ago and still very happy I did it. Had a morning surgery and eyes were watery and irritated that day, but I was able to tolerate a movie at home that night. Woke up the next morning to a different world with 20/15 vision that has held up ever since. I used the drops religiously and never seemed to have a problem after that first 48s hours. Well worth what it cost.

Cheers

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
No problems here. Had Wolfe do it about 3 years ago and my vision is great, don;t have to worry about contacts, glasses, etc. I kept hearing that my night vision would be bad but i think it was worse when I wore contacts. After a few years it's easy to forget how big of a pain it is to wear glasses.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
This is what I want for Christmas... but the kids keep taking all the HSA contributions!!! LOL, that and my astigmatism has made me hesitant to go through with it. Also still waiting for my eyes to stop changing power.

I'd be curious to hear your follow up in a day or two.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
What is the approximate cost for this surgery? I'm not trying to be nosey, I'm just curious because it's something I definitely want to do when I get the money and while I'm still young.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
What is the approximate cost for this surgery? I'm not trying to be nosey, I'm just curious because it's something I definitely want to do when I get the money and while I'm still young.
I think cost varies depending on who does it. Mine cost around $1700 per eye 11 or 12 years ago. A friend did it recently for around $1000 total.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I've heard around 4 to $5,000.

Should only cost that much if you have eyes in the back of your head also. My ex wife and I had it done 8 years ago, $5600 total for the both of us. Once I had the surgery I could finally see what a ***** I married and got divorced!

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I think cost varies depending on who does it. Mine cost around $1700 per eye 11 or 12 years ago. A friend did it recently for around $1000 total.
Just to add to this. My friend went to a Dr around here, then had to drive to Wisconsin to get the surgery, and then follow up with the Dr here. I didn't ask too much about it, but I have heard of other people doing this too.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Dang. That's not bad at all. I might have to start looking into it. Thanks.
If you're young and your prescription changes from year to year you should not get Lasik. You will just need glasses in another couple of years.

I had an estimate 2 years ago from Lasik Plus for about $3,500. Now that I have the money saved in my HSA I might finally get it done.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think Wolfe charged me about $3,500. I wanted to "cheap out" but then I realized it was my vision and I knew someone that got it done in the back of a semi trailer and the results were not good.

I used my HSA

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I stopped being a giant chicken and had laser surgery yesterday for severe astigmatism and farsightedness. They put 'bandage contacts' in my eyes, to be removed later today in a follow up visit. Has anyone else had these - does some of the fuzziness go away after they're out? How long until the world is in focus?

I'm amazed at how much I can see without my glasses - but I'm looking forward to the final results and hope they're as good as what I've heard from others who had the procedure.

I can say that I was a little disappointed at first because I was seeing 20/15 with my glasses and I could only see 20/20 with Lasik so it felt like my eyes deteriorated. I also had a lot of issues with halos after the lasik. 3 years later and I don't even notice the side affects anymore. It takes time, but it does get better. I'm so glad to not have my glasses fogging up during the winter anymore.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
If you're young and your prescription changes from year to year you should not get Lasik. You will just need glasses in another couple of years.

I had an estimate 2 years ago from Lasik Plus for about $3,500. Now that I have the money saved in my HSA I might finally get it done.

That's a good point. My eyes haven't changed since I was about 15 so I think I'd be good there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron