MLB Attendance

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Is it me or is attendance in MLB down this year? I don't have any stats but it sure looks that way from viewing the highlights day in and day out and seeing all of the empty seats at the vast majority of ballparks. Does anyone have the stats?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Brenley commented that a lot of sold seats in Wrigley aren't filled for day games.
Blamed the economic conditions , saying people aren't able to slip away from work anymore.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
MLB was down almost 7% last year, so even though the stands look vacant, I'm guessing it is still up from a year ago.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
According to ESPN's numbers and a little spreadsheet work, we're at 29957 per game this year. Last season ended at 30,298.

edit: 32,516 in '08. Good call cYoda

Last edited:

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
Wow. It is getting worse. Maybe they should lower the beer prices.

Only a difference of 341. That, IMO, will be easily made up with pennant race increases. The teams that already suck will stay the same, while the teams still in it will see increases.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
MLB = pricing themselves out of the market.

I always scoffed at this when I was younger, but I went to a Twins game earlier this year and man I was shocked at how expensive it is. If I had kids there is no way I'd go.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I always scoffed at this when I was younger, but I went to a Twins game earlier this year and man I was shocked at how expensive it is. If I had kids there is no way I'd go.
Tickets aren't too terrible in some places, but its all the extra crap they nail you with. FOr me to order tickets to see the Royals/Yankees online, the Royals want to charge another $8 for a convenience fee. This doesn't include paying for parking for another $8. Suddenly 2 $14 tickets has turned into $44 and damn near doubled ticket cost, not to mention how outrageous it is to get food in the ballparks.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Tickets aren't too terrible in some places, but its all the extra crap they nail you with. FOr me to order tickets to see the Royals/Yankees online, the Royals want to charge another $8 for a convenience fee. This doesn't include paying for parking for another $8. Suddenly 2 $14 tickets has turned into $44 and damn near doubled ticket cost, not to mention how outrageous it is to get food in the ballparks.

I just ordered some Royals tickets yesterday. For my delivery option I could pay $2.50 to print them off myself at home, or pick them up at will call for free. Somebody please explain why they would want to price things in order to encourage me to use will call, make them staff a ticket window with a live person, and take time away from me eating and drinking inside the park when it would cost them nothing at all for me to print at home? Dumb.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
By the end of the year I would say the average attendance will be up overall this year. You can get tickets at just about any stadium for under $15. I have seen numbers that Minor League attendance is WAY UP this year though so that's encouraging.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Actual attendance is down for the Cubs. Lot of no shows during the week and it wil get a lot worse in September. I work in Chicago, used to be hard to get tickets through our brokers at work, people give them away now and can't find takers. Games just are not as full as they were. People just getting sick of bad baseball and paying through the teeth for it.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
i dont have any numbers but i would say the Rockies attendance is actually up this year. we just about had a sellout for the last 3 games against the pirates.

Wow. We went to a game last month - Saturday night and got two tickets for $15 and had the row nearly to ourselves. Lower level, third base line, about halfway out. It was inter-league against the Blue Jays - so that may have something to do with it. But the place was 2/3rd empty. Only other place I've been was Wrigley. Compared to that, I was amazed how desolate it seemed outside Coors. Beautiful facility however.

Actual attendance is down for the Cubs. Lot of no shows during the week and it wil get a lot worse in September. I work in Chicago, used to be hard to get tickets through our brokers at work, people give them away now and can't find takers. Games just are not as full as they were. People just getting sick of bad baseball and paying through the teeth for it.

Went to the Phillies two weeks ago and it was packed - Friday afternoon. Although there were a TON of Philly fans there.

Doesn't help the Cubs in that they have the 2nd highest ticket price and put a miserable product on the field.

It was just my wife and I. Tickets were probably about $170 when it was all said and done (got them back in Feb). Nice seats - but still. And we probably dropped another 50-75 on concessions. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I just ordered some Royals tickets yesterday. For my delivery option I could pay $2.50 to print them off myself at home, or pick them up at will call for free. Somebody please explain why they would want to price things in order to encourage me to use will call, make them staff a ticket window with a live person, and take time away from me eating and drinking inside the park when it would cost them nothing at all for me to print at home? Dumb.
This is the Royals management we're talking about here. :wideeyed:

But I totally agree. Instead I'm just waiting until I get to KC to get our tickets. No way in hell they'll sell out so there isn't any incentive for me to spend an extra $20 just to get the tickets early.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
This is the Royals management we're talking about here. :wideeyed:

But I totally agree. Instead I'm just waiting until I get to KC to get our tickets. No way in hell they'll sell out so there isn't any incentive for me to spend an extra $20 just to get the tickets early.

Most ticket outlets are like this. They'll mail them to you for free, or charge you 2.50 to print them off yourself. Ticketmaster for one.

Another favorite of mine is the "internet convienience fee". I know that there is a cost with the website. But generall it's the same system the ticket agents themselves use. And theoretically, shouldn't it be cheaper for me to get them online that deal with a person on the phone or ticket window - and paying a number of them?

:skeptical:

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
By the end of the year I would say the average attendance will be up overall this year. You can get tickets at just about any stadium for under $15. I have seen numbers that Minor League attendance is WAY UP this year though so that's encouraging.

True. But prices are pretty bad if you want decent seats. I went to a Royals game and for lower level seats in the outfield tickets were $40...almost $50 after fees. To watch a team that sucks. No wonder people aren't going...

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
One nice thing this year has been that when going to Astros' games, the parking lots around the stadium are only charging about half of what they were last year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron