Networking question

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a networking question. I currently have a modem going to a wireless router. I'm not able to pick up a good signal in the basement. With that being said, I have one of the wireless router ports going down to the basement and it's connected to a basic switch, which works fine.

Can I connect another wireless router to one of those ports on the switch? How will I manage that wireless router? Do you think I'll be able to just put it an IP like a standard wireless router?

kansascy

Apr 28, 2006
Wichita, KS
I have a networking question. I currently have a modem going to a wireless router. I'm not able to pick up a good signal in the basement. With that being said, I have one of the wireless router ports going down to the basement and it's connected to a basic switch, which works fine.

Can I connect another wireless router to one of those ports on the switch? How will I manage that wireless router? Do you think I'll be able to just put it an IP like a standard wireless router?

How does the modem connect to the wireless router? If it uses ethernet, then it would be easier just to run the ethernet cable from the modem to the basement and put your wireless router down there.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How does the modem connect to the wireless router? If it uses ethernet, then it would be easier just to run the ethernet cable from the modem to the basement and put your wireless router down there.

But then my wireless signal on the 2nd floor would be bad.

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
buy a wireless access point and connect it to the switch in the basement. I suggest the linksys WAP4410N. If you need fast access you can't beat it. I have this on my network feeding wireless video to my tv from a media server. Make sure you configure WPA2 security. This thing has tremendous range. My son just got a new xbox with built-in wireless n and he is using it on the 2nd floor while the WAP is in the basement

CloneBack

Apr 17, 2007
West Des Moines

Depending on your technical abilities might I recommend you find or buy an existing compatible router and install dd-wrt. You can configure it as a "bridge" to your existing wireless network. Wireless Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Most of my house is wired (PS3, TV, desktop), But I have a wireless for phones and laptops.

Got my modem going into the wired router, then one of the lines going out to the wireless which I have upstairs, somewhat centrally located. Biggest problem for me placing it downstairs was I have two block foundation walls that really block the signal. And one of the techs at work told me that signal goes "down" better than "up". Don't know why... probably BS, but whatever.

Anyway, I think the only thing I really had to do was turn off the DHCP server on the wireless - and let the wired handle the IP distribution.

Here's the directions I used. Don't think there's any reason why you couldn't do the same with two wireless - one with wired ports.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/wireless-router-as-access-point.html

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron