The nerve! (Iowa State Daily column)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What a waste of the Iowa State Daily. I suppose they will put an article in from Big Red. Must not have writers of their own. Or did the Iowa paper print a Cyclone diatribe in return? Did not bring much info to the table IMO.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Freedom of Speech? The right to be heard? Of course I always despised the Daily ever since I failed to get hired on as a photographer back in '91. Err...

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I don't mind having the two opinion articles right next to eachother, I think it's all in good fun... but honostly, the Iowa State one isn't very good... The Iowa guy really takes shots at us in typical arrogant hawkeye fashion... and to me, it's kind of funny, clever, and well written. Our rebuttle... not so much, IMO.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The posting of the two, I have no problem with, I think that the Daily has frequently done this in years past while building up to this game. But I agree with Cloned4Life, they could have found/created whatever a better rebuttle for the ISU side. Sometimes I wonder if the Daily has been infiltrated by Huckeyes and Cornhuskers, because over the years those two programs have always been represented in a warm friendly way. A conspiracy....hmmm.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It might have been cool if they'd gotten someone on the coaching staff, or maybe JP to write a rebuttal... Not only would it have been much better-written, but it might have rallied the troops (sorry - back to our "rally cry" thread...).

mbecker

Apr 11, 2006
Typical Hawkeye fan. I got nothing out of this article that I don't hear from every one of my hawkeye friends every day. We could beat them ten years in a row and they would still be the same.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I went to Boys' State with Mr. Johnson. He was not exactly well liked among...well...anybody. He tried running against me for mayor, and I won in a landslide. Yes, that is correct, I was a mayor at Boys' State. You can all bow down before me and shower me with gifts and praise...:sweet:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Waste of space. Better to present some insights. Talk about tailgating comparisons or something besides arragance. Makes other websites/papers look good. The hawkeye opinion was a waste of space.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't mind having the two opinion articles right next to eachother, I think it's all in good fun... but honostly, the Iowa State one isn't very good... The Iowa guy really takes shots at us in typical arrogant hawkeye fashion... and to me, it's kind of funny, clever, and well written. Our rebuttle... not so much, IMO.

Personally, I think Grant Wall is a horrible sports columist....but then again he works for the Daily so it almost expected. BUT, I think he did a really good job with this article......mark it down, this is the first, and more then likley the last time I will ever compliment his writing.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I disagree with that opinion that the come back for the ISU side was bad. I think Grant presents facts rather than just a bunch of mindless smack talk. I like the matter-of-fact approach better than the "you guys sucks cuz I said you do" approach. ISU fans have always had more common sense and it comes through in this article.

Also, the Iowa fan makes it sound like this is their Superbowl. Hmmm...

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
To pull out some wonderful hawkeye quotes:

"I hate the Cyclones." ~ This one never gets old, I love it, the typical response from a hawkeye fan when trying to discuss which team is better.

"Why on earth is an angry bird weighing less than a $2.50 flip-flop from Old Navy getting the best of a storm? Did anyone see the tornado damage to Iowa City? I don't think a cardinal could take that kind of storm in a fight." ~ first and last sentence seem to conflict... nice plug company he works at though. Oh, Cy and his storm will bring much more damage to Iowa City this weekend, you can clean up your tornado wreckage, but another year of it being a Cyclone state... can you handle that?

"The fans annoy me." ~ I just spit out my morning coffee, and I don't even drink coffee! Any supporting evidence for this? No? Just move on to another topic... ok.

"Yeah, we lost big last year." ~ True, but does this really support your argument that the Hawkeyes are better?

"and we didn't rub it in." ~ just spit out another sip of coffee

"We just took the state nickname, the Hawkeye State" ~ and then you lost it... that billboard really gets to you doesn't it?

"and quietly watched" ~ this is complete BS... I've never seen a Hawkeye fan quietly watch any sport... wait... sorry, I'm wrong about this... last years Iowa State - Iowa game... the Iowa fans did get quiet pretty fast... and then sulked out of the stadium ealry. I appologize.

"All I've heard for the last year from my western Iowan friend and roommate is why Iowa State cares so much more than Iowa about the rivalry. I can't stand it." ~ Me neither... because Iowa cares just as much... wait, you're arguing for my side again... stop that.

"Listening to this former-Cyclone-now-Hawkeye is worse than listening to Ben Stein lead a pep rally" ~ Yeah... becoming a Hawkeye will do that to you. You sure you're arguing FOR the Hawkeyes?

"My converted roommate is proof Iowa fans care more." ~ You just made a lot of Hawkeye fans really pissed because you just nullified their "This is Iowa State's Superbowl" argument.

"From Florida to Texas, New Jersey to Ohio, Illinois and back to Iowa City, every Hawkeye wants to pulverize the Cyclones, maybe even more than I do. Hawkeye nation is anxious." ~ Yeah, it's been awhile and I bet it really eats at you! I'd say I know how you feel, but I don't.

"Hawkeye receivers don't want to hear about Todd Blythe anymore" ~ Well, maybe if they worked harder in practice, Hawkeye coaches wouldn't say, "Why can't you be more like Todd Blythe", and "Todd Blythe wouldn't have dropped that one", and "Hey guys, come check out the football I got autographed by Todd Blythe!"

"Best reason of all? Kirk Ferentz is 2-5 in his career vs. Iowa State" ~ Another pro-Cyclone comment, does your article even need a rebuttal?

"Sorry Iowa State, but you're the little brother, and your big brother doesn't like you mouthing off." ~ Then do something about it and maybe win against us... until then... we're mom and dad's favorite!

"I can't wait to be a hypocrite." ~ Is that what Hawkeyes aspire to be when they grow up?

"I will brag and boast and rant and gloat to every Cyclone I know for the next year." ~ We know

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I like the dual column, however Grant Wall, Brent McIntiyer(spelling) and Brett Blum are TERRIBLE writers. Blum is an even worse commentator, from what I hear. Pat Brown is a good sports writer, but since he is running the paper now, I guess he doesnt get to write.

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
well done dbronco7sc! i agree with all of your remarks. iowa tries to pretend they don't care as much, but they do! probably even more than iowa state! this is just more obnoxious iowa propaganda.

as a journalism alum from isu...i'm sick that this got ink.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Dude, the article by the Iowa kid is so freaking terrible it's an embarrassment. I mean honestly, thank god I never went to Iowa, for no other reason than I have never had to regularly read the Dirty Iowan.

ISUCY11

Aug 3, 2006
Chicago, IL
that was probably the poorest written article i have ever read. i see why they put it in the daily, since it proves the incompetance of the hawk fans. as for no hawk fans converting to cyclones...i converted my girlfriend at the Toledo game. she is officially 100% cyclone after growing up in IC. ouch.

monkeybrow

May 19, 2006
To pull out some wonderful hawkeye quotes:

"I hate the Cyclones." ~ This one never gets old, I love it, the typical response from a hawkeye fan when trying to discuss which team is better.

"Why on earth is an angry bird weighing less than a $2.50 flip-flop from Old Navy getting the best of a storm? Did anyone see the tornado damage to Iowa City? I don't think a cardinal could take that kind of storm in a fight." ~ first and last sentence seem to conflict... nice plug company he works at though. Oh, Cy and his storm will bring much more damage to Iowa City this weekend, you can clean up your tornado wreckage, but another year of it being a Cyclone state... can you handle that?

"The fans annoy me." ~ I just spit out my morning coffee, and I don't even drink coffee! Any supporting evidence for this? No? Just move on to another topic... ok.

"Yeah, we lost big last year." ~ True, but does this really support your argument that the Hawkeyes are better?

"and we didn't rub it in." ~ just spit out another sip of coffee

"We just took the state nickname, the Hawkeye State" ~ and then you lost it... that billboard really gets to you doesn't it?

"and quietly watched" ~ this is complete BS... I've never seen a Hawkeye fan quietly watch any sport... wait... sorry, I'm wrong about this... last years Iowa State - Iowa game... the Iowa fans did get quiet pretty fast... and then sulked out of the stadium ealry. I appologize.

"All I've heard for the last year from my western Iowan friend and roommate is why Iowa State cares so much more than Iowa about the rivalry. I can't stand it." ~ Me neither... because Iowa cares just as much... wait, you're arguing for my side again... stop that.

"Listening to this former-Cyclone-now-Hawkeye is worse than listening to Ben Stein lead a pep rally" ~ Yeah... becoming a Hawkeye will do that to you. You sure you're arguing FOR the Hawkeyes?

"My converted roommate is proof Iowa fans care more." ~ You just made a lot of Hawkeye fans really pissed because you just nullified their "This is Iowa State's Superbowl" argument.

"From Florida to Texas, New Jersey to Ohio, Illinois and back to Iowa City, every Hawkeye wants to pulverize the Cyclones, maybe even more than I do. Hawkeye nation is anxious." ~ Yeah, it's been awhile and I bet it really eats at you! I'd say I know how you feel, but I don't.

"Hawkeye receivers don't want to hear about Todd Blythe anymore" ~ Well, maybe if they worked harder in practice, Hawkeye coaches wouldn't say, "Why can't you be more like Todd Blythe", and "Todd Blythe wouldn't have dropped that one", and "Hey guys, come check out the football I got autographed by Todd Blythe!"

"Best reason of all? Kirk Ferentz is 2-5 in his career vs. Iowa State" ~ Another pro-Cyclone comment, does your article even need a rebuttal?

"Sorry Iowa State, but you're the little brother, and your big brother doesn't like you mouthing off." ~ Then do something about it and maybe win against us... until then... we're mom and dad's favorite!

"I can't wait to be a hypocrite." ~ Is that what Hawkeyes aspire to be when they grow up?

"I will brag and boast and rant and gloat to every Cyclone I know for the next year." ~ We know

aha!! I love it! I cannot wait to arrive at stink city this evening to start grinding salt into the open gashes not quite healed from last year

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I love it! And, I'm glad the Daily posted it. I wish they wouldn't have even provided an ISU rebuttle. In fact, I wish they would have posted a similar article each day this week.

And, I hope every ISU football player reads this many times, cuts it out, posts it on their locker. I want them to seeth with anger, then take it out on the hawks tomorrow! Crush Tate, Crush Young, and rack up 350 yards through the air!

This is gonna be awesome!

CDCclone

Mar 29, 2006
I live in Iowa City and just noticed that the University of Iowa newspaper also printed the dual columns, so that makes a little more sense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron