What's Your Starting XI against England?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
If Bob thinks we definately need a speed option up top I don't think we can afford to put Findley out there because he is in poor form. I would slide Donovan up top in this scenario.

However, I think my ideal lineup would be Buddle and Gomez up top because of their current form. These 2 are doing what Strikers are supposed to do, which is put the ball in the net. They have carried their club form over to the Nat'l team and it shows.

(Side note - I would like to see Cherundolo and Spector as right and left back, but I know that Bob is going to start Boca so whatever.) Any way here are what the 2 line ups I talked about would look like.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2009
Ames, IA
If Bob thinks we definately need a speed option up top I don't think we can afford to put Findley out there because he is in poor form. I would slide Donovan up top in this scenario.

However, I think my ideal lineup would be Buddle and Gomez up top because of their current form. These 2 are doing what Strikers are supposed to do, which is put the ball in the net. They have carried their club form over to the Nat'l team and it shows.

(Side note - I would like to see Cherundolo and Spector as right and left back, but I know that Bob is going to start Boca so whatever.) Any way here are what the 2 line ups I talked about would look like.

Isn't speed Findley's greatest strength?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Isn't speed Findley's greatest strength?

You still have to link with other players and put the ball in the net if you are a striker. He missed 2 sitters yesterday against Aus. Findley just lacks confidence right now, he played well as a sub against Turkey and that should be his role in the WC I think as a super sub.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I'd really like to see Torres in the midfield with Bradley. Everything seemed to flow through him the second half of that Turkey match and he looked really smooth and confident distributing the ball to others. I thought Bradley played better when Torres was in the game too. Ricardo Clark has not looked good at all as of late & I hope Bornstein never sees action because that guy seems to get beaten constantly.

Last edited:

cyko42

Feb 7, 2007
Decatur, IL
I want to see edison up front with josey (depending on what his ankle feels like). World cup is almost the opposite of the NHL playoffs, you go with the striker that's hot, versus the hot goalkeeper. I agree there needs to be some change in the center mids. I think we probably see a shake up with someone else playing with bradley. I am so torn about the back 4 right now. I think our offense wins us games, I worry that our defense will lose us games. Gooch really needs to step up but I think you start him, just due to his experience

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines

I absolutely hate the idea of having Donovan up top. We need his workrate in the midfield. We know that he will be supremely fit as always, and he is going to have to track back and cover the pace that England has on the flanks.

The striker partnership is kind of tricky. IF Altidore is healthy, I think that he has to start. Buddle's current form also warrants a start. However, are the two of them too similar to play together?

I'm not sure if I like starting Herculez Gomez either, but part of that is just because he is so used to coming off the bench and poaching goals for both club and now country.

I really hope Findley gets it together. He gets himself into really great positions and seemed to link up really well with Buddle against Australia. Plus the contrast between the hold-up play of Buddle and the pace of Findley makes for a great partnership. Of course, his finishing was very poor. Hopefully he gets his confidence back because his pace would be a huge asset, especially if England's CB pairing is Terry/King as expected. That being said, I really don't know we can start him with his current form.

Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley should be in the midfield. I would love to see Torres start as he brings something different to the team but I don't expect him to. Bob will almost assuredly pick two defensive-minded midfielders which means either Edu (hopefully) or Clark (unfortunately, probably) will start. I don't rate Clark at all.

Cherundolo has to start at RB based on current form. Bocanegra also has to play LB over Bornstein (who is terrible) and Spector (who has been out of form and was mediocre at best at LB for West Ham all year). Boca definitely brings more defensive stability to the squad. Hopefully Onyewu will be fit by Saturday, if he is not, we are definitely in trouble. DeMerit and Goodson have no chemistry together and were constantly exposed against Australia and Turkey.

All in all, we have a chance on Saturday, but a draw will definitely be a great result. I think we'll score at least one goal, but will give up our fair share. The team will need to battle like they did against Spain last year and get a bit of luck to get a result. It should be fun

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i think altidore has to start up top with buddle... imo

-------altidore-------buddle--------
------------------------------------
-Dempsey--Bradley--Edu--Donovan--
-Boca--Onyewu---Demerit--Spector-
-------------Howard----------------

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny

Cherundolo has outplayed Spector in the past few games, so I think he has to start. It's too bad, because Spector played extremely well last summer. Also if Gooch isn't ready, Goodson needs to play.

LeSchmick

Dec 14, 2008
Urbandale

Spector out Cherundolo in

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i know spector hasnt played that great lately, for some reason in my gut its tellin spector should be in there. not saying he will be, it was what my starting lineup would be. is dolo fully healthy? thats another question.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWdk1sqZZY]YouTube - Landon Donovan Score a Goal For Me - The US National Team Song.wmv[/ame]

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
I really hope Rooney does not score. I like him, he's dangerous and they need to man up on him all day. Excited for the game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I really hope Rooney does not score. I like him, he's dangerous and they need to man up on him all day. Excited for the game.

I know Rooney will be playing, but last I heard he's going to be slowed by that ankle/leg injury of his.