Better staff ISU or Iowa

isufan1000

May 12, 2010
Just curious for some UN-BIASED thoughts on who everyone thinks has the better new bball staff. I noticed that Iowa just hired the former head of Nike AAU basketball camps as their final assistant which is supposed to be huge for recruiting. We have our big recruiter TJ, but lack the experience as well. Just wondering what some honest thoughts are?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'd wait a few weeks and ask this question. Fred hasn't announced his staff yet(or did I miss something?).

Premature to form a fair opinon on this.

bootcy

Apr 12, 2006
Waukee
Just curious for some UN-BIASED thoughts on who everyone thinks has the better new bball staff. I noticed that Iowa just hired the former head of Nike AAU basketball camps as their final assistant which is supposed to be huge for recruiting. We have our big recruiter TJ, but lack the experience as well. Just wondering what some honest thoughts are?

That last assistant for Iowa was fired from the Nike position and had a dismal record as a head coach with no post season appearances and only 2 winning season out of 10.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
That last assistant for Iowa was fired from the Nike position and had a dismal record as a head coach with no post season appearances and only 2 winning season out of 10.

Wow..You would have never thought that watching the news here in Eastern Iowa.

They drink lots of kool aid over this way. Unfortuantly it's always black and gold.:sad:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Our staff isn't complete yet... plus its awfully hard to judge these guys until they have some body of work together.... and both staffs face major rebuilding projects left to them by the last (failed) regimes.

hawkeyescott

Jun 13, 2008

Good thing he isn't coming to Iowa as the head coach then isn't it?

Regardless of how good he was as a head coach the guy has a ton of connections on the AAU circuit and that is what really matters in college basketball. He was in charge of bringing in the top high school talent in the nation to skills camps hosted by Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Vince Carter, and LeBron James, so he does have the connections to AAU coaches around the country. Personally I think this is a better hire than Barta getting McCaffery just because of who Dillard knows and his connections.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
He left Nike to be an independant contractor for 3 months?? Looks more like he was fired than just left for a better job, at least as a person that reviews job history it appears that way to me...Can't argue with the dismal record part either, 43% winning percentage and 2 winning seasons. Wonder why he didn't include that on his linkedin profile.

Reactions: VeloClone

isufan1000

May 12, 2010
He left Nike to be an independant contractor for 3 months?? Looks more like he was fired than just left for a better job, at least as a person that reviews job history it appears that way to me...Can't argue with the dismal record part either, 43% winning percentage and 2 winning seasons. Wonder why he didn't include that on his linkedin profile.

I've tried looking for why he left Nike, can't find it but I would guess if he were fired that somebody would be able to find it online somewhere. Also I dont think he was brought on because he was a winning coach, if that were the case he probably wouldnt have taken a job at Iowa as the 3rd assistant coach ha. The only reason he was probably brought on was because of his aau connections at nike and his recruiting ability. Regardless this topic wasn't a question of simply this assistant, but overall who's in better shape, us or Iowa?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
I've tried looking for why he left Nike, can't find it but I would guess if he were fired that somebody would be able to find it online somewhere. Also I dont think he was brought on because he was a winning coach, if that were the case he probably wouldnt have taken a job at Iowa as the 3rd assistant coach ha. The only reason he was probably brought on was because of his aau connections at nike and his recruiting ability. Regardless this topic wasn't a question of simply this assistant, but overall who's in better shape, us or Iowa?

Fair enough...I would agree he is going to be the AAU connection, and if we had hired him we'd be drooling over his contacts list.

Overall, without the staffs being finalized, I think ISU is better off currently due to the stability in recruiting and not having to start from scratch with identifying targets and building relationships, especially with the classes we have coming up in 2011 and 2012.

Gameday would have to be Iowa, mainly because we don't have a proven game day coach yet. Depending on Fred's next hire, that could be a moot point. So right now we are equal, ISU up in recruiting, Iowa up in coaching. The rounding out of the coaching staffs will either put ISU ahead, or drop them behind depending on the next job that gets filled.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
Better at what?

In a game of Horse? ISU

Who has a better name, Fran or Fred. Push

Crazier Wife? Iowa

Who will win this year? Whoever scores 12 points first...ISU

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
First, as others have said, we might want to wait until FH puts together his staff. Second, we might want to wait until we seen what his staff can do, like wait until we get through the out-of-conference schedule, before we begin judging staffs.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Sorry Bootcy but you need to check the facts a little better before ya go spitting out info.
Interesting....http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/90588-larry-bird-hoiberg.html#post1715669

I've tried looking for why he left Nike, can't find it
Perhaps Bootcy can share what he learns about fact checking with you.

isufan1000, I imagine it can be embarrassing, but there is no need to conceal your allegiance with an illusory moniker.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron