CPU virus question

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I have something that F'd up my CPU, virus or whatever you want to call it. It doesnt allow me to open any spy ware/virus scanners, it says many of the files I try to open are infected, all that happens and a little red box opens. It also opens up Internet explorer, which I havent used in years, I use Firefox, and keeps opening tabs.
Another thing is I try to go into my control panel to delete some programs and it wont let me into that either. A bunch of boxes pop up telling me Im infected and ask if I want to open spyware programs, whether I hit yes or no it does nothing.
There are a few times I could open AVG and AdAware, I scanned which took forever and they only found one problem, but it continues to do it after deleting it.
I checked out the older CF threads similar to this but none were very the same problem. Any help is appreciated. Someone said I might have to save anything I want, pictures/Itunes and start over.

Last edited:

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
boot into safe mode,
do this by hitting f8 while the computer is starting.
In the advanced startup up menu select safe mode with networking.

Malwarebytes

Go there download the free version, install it, update it, and scan your system and reboot

Reactions: ripvdub

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Does it do this if you start your computer in safe mode?

May want to try that and see if you can run some type of virus scan, or going to an old restore point.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
boot into safe mode,
do this by hitting f8 while the computer is starting.
In the advanced startup up menu select safe mode with networking.

Malwarebytes

Go there download the free version, install it, update it, and scan your system and reboot

whoops, forgot about safe mode. You're right.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Chances are youll have to remove it in safe mode. If you are into downloading off of bittorent, grab the app MRI. Its a "borrow" from what they use at best buy and it runs all sorts of antivirus from a separate boot environment.

If you dont feel comfortable, just use malwarebytes in safe mode.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We've had tons of problems with this virus where I work. Our AV software (Vipre) was not blocking it. I've had to clean it off of dozens of machines.

end result, we switched AV software to Sophos.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We've had tons of problems with this virus where I work. Our AV software (Vipre) was not blocking it. I've had to clean it off of dozens of machines.

end result, we switched AV software to Sophos.

Do you guys let a bunch of folks have admin rights? I know alot of places do that with their users.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Do you guys let a bunch of folks have admin rights? I know alot of places do that with their users.

no, not at all. we lock down the users pretty well.

although not well enough it would seem.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
no, not at all. we lock down the users pretty well.

although not well enough it would seem.

Just curious. When I started a ton my my end users had admin rights for god know whatever reason and their pcs filled with junk like this. I havent had a problem in 2 years now since locking them up.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Just curious. When I started a ton my my end users had admin rights for god know whatever reason and their pcs filled with junk like this. I havent had a problem in 2 years now since locking them up.

where we run into issues is with some 3rd party software vendors that require admin rights in order for users to run their software. Shoddy programming.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
where we run into issues is with some 3rd party software vendors that require admin rights in order for users to run their software. Shoddy programming.

Ha ha, I remember those days. It usually comes down to a file in the windows directory that the app needs write access for. Used to drive me crazy.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
i read in another thread that everyone suggested malwarebytes so I tried it, butnot in safe mode so it wouldnt open. I will have to try it as soon as LOST is over tonight. Just waiting for the wife to get home to start it. Hope it works. Thanks.