Fluffy World-Herald Article on Nationals

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
HAHAHA, I think he might be giving Iowa a bit to much credit when he says wrestling here is cult like and comparing it to football in Nebraska.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
The only thing that's kind of funny to me is that there seems to be an implication that wrestling is popular here partly because Iowa settlers had wrestling as a past time.

Gotta enjoy the love he gives the state of Iowa though. Especially since he doesn't just talk about Iowa, but also ISU.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
The only thing that's kind of funny to me is that there seems to be an implication that wrestling is popular here partly because Iowa settlers had wrestling as a past time.

Gotta enjoy the love he gives the state of Iowa though. Especially since he doesn't just talk about Iowa, but also ISU.
That, and the Gotch thing struck me as weird things to mention in that article.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
That, and the Gotch thing struck me as weird things to mention in that article.

For a second I thought about searching Wikipedia for similar stories, b/c it looks like something that was so out of place it might have been lifted.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
He's not. It's a pretty big deal here. Not many states sell out the state wrestling tourney year after year.

I don't disagree that it's incredibly popular, but to compare it to Nebraska football is quite a stretch in my opinion. Every home meet at Iowa and ISU are not sold out. Wrestling in Iowa is certainly more popular than other states, but to put it on a level of football in Nebraska is misleading to someone unfamiliar with wrestling in the state.

I would say it's on the same level as a sport like basketball in most states, not on the level of Nebraska football.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
I don't disagree that it's incredibly popular, but to compare it to Nebraska football is quite a stretch in my opinion. Every home meet at Iowa and ISU are not sold out. Wrestling in Iowa is certainly more popular than other states, but to put it on a level of football in Nebraska is misleading to someone unfamiliar with wrestling in the state.

I would say it's on the same level as a sport like basketball in most states, not on the level of Nebraska football.

You could say, relative to other parts of the country wrestling in Iowa is like football in Nebraska.

Help Support Us

Become a patron