Votes: 41 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 189 82.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
In the poll a couple of days ago, I said give him two years. However, as a previous poster wrote, If we have to start from scratch every year with new players (thus affording him the excuse of having to re-build every year), lets just rebuild everything.

(Gosh, I hope I've bought enough tickets to have an opinion)

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't think I will answer this poll as I will gave the same answer now that I would have given after season #1 with no returning Mike Taylor, but back then it was only "time to start looking", not "OMG, we need a new coach NOW!".
The real question should be: Since we can't get rid of Coach McD, then why not fire the guy who hired him?
It seems certain that someone should at least step down. Who's it going to be?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
People are pretty ****** about two role players leaving.

They might be role players from a talent standpoint (compared to other Big 12 teams) but one was a starter with 2 years of eligibility left. That's a pretty big deal, considering our lack of front court going into next year. JVB will be playing 37 minutes a game next year.

That's not good.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Neither guy was going to lead us to glory in the Big 12.

I'm really surprised at how many opinions this has switched, two role players leaving compared to four years of mediocre basketball. How was this the final straw for so many? Why are people not completely ****** at Hamilton and Buckley, after they chastise so many other players that transfer for "not being true Cyclones"?

ISU basketball fans are an odd group.

I guess I was never really a fan of either player though, and I'm excited to see what Railey can do, actually. We know next season is going to be another mulligan, so let's let our young guys play a lot.

Let's use one of the three open schollies (two if we get Wilkins) just to pick up an enforcer type player (like a Homan).

Last edited:

acody

Nov 25, 2006
I don't think I will answer this poll as I will gave the same answer now that I would have given after season #1 with no returning Mike Taylor, but back then it was only "time to start looking", not "OMG, we need a new coach NOW!".
The real question should be: Since we can't get rid of Coach McD, then why not fire the guy who hired him?
It seems certain that someone should at least step down. Who's it going to be?

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

I guess I was never really a fan of either player though, and I'm excited to see what Railey can do, actually. We know next season is going to be another mulligan, so let's let our young guys play a lot.

Let's use one of the three open schollies (two if we get Wilkins) just to pick up an enforcer type player (like a Homan).

I can't wait for Nebraska to kick us around next year. I will buy tickets in 2011.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
You think Hamilton would be a role player the next two years? NO.

He wasn't as good as people made him out to be this year, he would have had to keep developing, which we've never really seen out of McDermott (whether due to attrition or plateauing).

He would have started, but he would have also needed to quit playing like he was 6-2.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

I'm really surprised at how many opinions this has switched, two role players leaving compared to four years of mediocre basketball. How was this the final straw for so many? Why are people not completely ****** at Hamilton and Buckley, after they chastise so many other players that transfer for "not being true Cyclones"?

Most fans are ****** that they were here in the first place.. or should be.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
People are pretty ****** about two role players leaving.

This is why I'm ******

Dodie Dunson
Cory Johnson
Wesley Johnson
Corey McIntosh
Mike Taylor
Craig Brackins
Marcus Brister
Lucca Staiger
Clayton Vette
Dominique Buckley
We Eikmeier
Justin Hamilton
Clinton Mann
L.A. Pomlee

21 players have committed to playing for ISU since 2006. 14 have been dismissed, transferred, or quit (except Craig, who left early for the NBA).

Reactions: ajk4st8

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa

I'm with you. People act like Hamilton was our next Jared Homan when in reality he wasn't going to be close to the kind of physical player Homan was. As long as Ham was our starting center we weren't going to be an above average team. This is why I don't get mad about players leaving the program not named Brackins, Gilstrap, Taylor, or Wesley Johnson. I know role players are very important but they key for this program will be landing some like the four I named again. I highly doubt we can do it.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
This is why I'm ******

Dodie Dunson
Cory Johnson

Wesley Johnson
Corey McIntosh
Mike Taylor
Craig Brackins
Marcus Brister
Lucca Staiger
Clayton Vette
Dominique Buckley
We Eikmeier
Justin Hamilton
Clinton Mann
L.A. Pomlee

21 players have committed to playing for ISU since 2006. 14 have been dismissed, transferred, or quit (except Craig, who left early for the NBA).

10 of those 14 had no business being recruited to play Big 12 basketball.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
This is why I'm ******

Dodie Dunson
Cory Johnson
Wesley Johnson
Corey McIntosh
Mike Taylor
Craig Brackins
Marcus Brister
Lucca Staiger
Clayton Vette
Dominique Buckley
We Eikmeier
Justin Hamilton
Clinton Mann
L.A. Pomlee

My point was that I don't know why this pair of defections was the backbreaker.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
10 of those 14 had no business being recruited to play Big 12 basketball.
And that my friends is the real problem... Well that and the lack of improvement among players, in-game coaching, and Wesley Johnson leaving.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield

7 schollie players playing at the end of the season. Now it is 5. No bodies with any experience inside. (maybe JV) Coach has been rebuilding for several years. My patience is dwindling. I will watch next year with little expectation of success. Any win next year is an upset in my book. GO STATE!!!

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

My point is it's not "who" is leaving the program today. It's the fact that Ham and Buckley are #13 and #14 to leave the program early. Like most Cyclone fans, I was willing to give Mac the benefit of the doubt until this season. We were actually supposed to be good this season with a lot of players returning for once. Now, 3 months later, we had a terrible season and more players are leaving. High expectations + terrible season + a lot of defections at the end of the season = ****** off Cyclone fans. For a lot of people (myself included) today was the final straw.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron