Gilstrap Question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
First off... the NCAA committee is terrible.

If you truly care about the player... give him the opportunity to get a degree to support his family instead of forcing him to take the risk of Pro-Basketball before he decides if he's ready. It should be his choice.

Second,

It sounds like Gilstrap will attempt the pro-route rather than pay his own way through another year of school. Which is the obvious choice when you're supporting a family and nobody can blame him. You need to take the option where you can earn money rather than spend it.

So my question is this: Does Gilstrap leaving without graduating hurt our program's graduation rate and possibly affect scholarships even though the NCAA are the ones that aren't allowing him to have another year on scholarship?

Last edited:

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I thought the NCAA ruling was that he would not get another year of eligibility not whether he is able to get a scholarship or not. Am I wrong in that assumption.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
It isn't so much about graduating as it is about being in good academic standing when you leave.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I thought the NCAA ruling was that he would not get another year of eligibility not whether he is able to get a scholarship or not. Am I wrong in that assumption.

I'm guessing if you are inelegible to play NCAA basketball, then you cannot get a scholarship to play basketball.

And there are rules to academic scholarships as well. You can't just give one to a guy because you 'feel bad for his situation' unless that is the only requirement of the scholarship. There are requiements that must be met, and there is an application process that needs to be open to anybody eligible based on those requirements. Not just one that you can give to whoever you want because you feel like it.

Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
First off... the NCAA committee is terrible.

If you truly care about the player... give him the opportunity to get a degree to support his family instead of forcing him to take the risk of Pro-Basketball before he decides if he's ready. It should be his choice.

I guess I never heard Gilstrap say he was coming back if the NCAA gave him a sixth year. Where did you hear this?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This really does suck because I really think he wanted to get a degree. Remember, his career was almost killed by an injury so he probably has a different mindset than a lot of these guys. I don't think he was thinking about coming back to improve his draft stock. I think he wanted a degree. What does the NCAA do in this case? Shoves him out the door.

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm guessing if you are inelegible to play NCAA basketball, then you cannot get a scholarship to play basketball.

And there are rules to academic scholarships as well. You can't just give one to a guy because you 'feel bad for his situation' unless that is the only requirement of the scholarship. There are requiements that must be met, and there is an application process that needs to be open to anybody eligible based on those requirements. Not just one that you can give to whoever you want because you feel like it.

Anybody feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry, In your original post I thought you were saying he could come back for another year of basketball if he paid his own way.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Someone else can correct me, but I'm pretty sure as long as he is in good academic standing when he leaves for the NBA (i.e., he finishes up his Spring semester classwork), then he won't hurt us in the eyes of the NCAA.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
He can still get a degree from ISU just can't play basketball. Of course he has to pay his own way now.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
I guess I never heard Gilstrap say he was coming back if the NCAA gave him a sixth year. Where did you hear this?

That's why my post that you quoted never said that "Gilstrap said he was coming back if the NCAA gave him a sixth year." and instead said "It should be his choice" [whether or not he chooses to try to go Pro or chooses to play basketball at Iowa State with an athletic scholarship that would also allow him to try to earn a degree]

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

It's in a thread somewhere. He said if he got the year he was leaning toward coming back. He didn't say he was but simply from his words it seemed likely.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This really does suck because I really think he wanted to get a degree. Remember, his career was almost killed by an injury so he probably has a different mindset than a lot of these guys. I don't think he was thinking about coming back to improve his draft stock. I think he wanted a degree. What does the NCAA do in this case? Shoves him out the door.

He should have gone back to school after his leg healed. He didn't. He knew the five-year clock was ticking.
Even Gmac has said that the appeal for an extra year "was not injury-related."
There are many loans and grants available to him if he wants to stay at ISU.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He should have gone back to school after his leg healed. He didn't. He knew the five-year clock was ticking.
Even Gmac has said that the appeal for an extra year "was not injury-related."

He likely could not have played basketball therefor he would have been paying for college and a kid. That also would not have changed the clock. I know the appeal wasn't injury related but he is in the situation he is because of an injury. I am not saying he didn't want to play in the NBA. I am saying he wanted a fall back because he had a serious injury and knows that it could happen. I just do not see how he does not get one and Jason White does. It just does not make sense to me. I don't know how they justify who does and who doesn't get them.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site

This is true. And it is definately an option. But I imagine it is hard to support a family AND pay for a fairly expensive college (a loan is far different than a grant or scholarship, and there is no guarantee on a grant or scholarship for Gilstrap).

Gilstrap took the opportunity to play Basketball for Iowa State with hopes that he will get the chance to either earn a degree from Iowa State or perform well enough to play professionally, (just like most every student athlete fresh out of high school).

Yes, we all understand the rules and reasons why he was not granted a 6th year. But it is my personal opinion that if the NCAA truly 'cares about the student athletes' as they claim they do, then they would grant Gilstrap the opportunity to choose to complete his degree after realizing that it's better late than never.