• Staiger

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'll be honest. I have no clue if we've already decided to redshirt anyone or not, so someone might have to clue me in. Anyways, I want to know who all you think we should redshirt. It seems we have so much potential that I don't want half of it left on the bench so it would be nice to space out some of the years with some redshirts. I'll adjust the poll if someone tells me we've already decided to redshirt someone.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
It's gotta be a guard... so I'm gonna say Boozer... normally I would like to say Diante to get him some muscle... but I think we're gonna need him this year.

Edit: Throw Vette in the mix too.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
bronco, I saw diante last night.....quickest guy on the court, but also the smallest....he could use a year to bulk up, but we need him now to run the show.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
That's what I thought when I saw McIntosh and Taylor Last year. Though McIntosh wasn't going to grow much being a Juco and was actually pretty defined. But I say Taylor and got worried fast when I saw how thin he was... but he did fine so I'm not too worried about Diante... I just wish we had a Blalock already in the system so we didn't need Diante. Give him a year to bulk up and to learn the playbook.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm not even sure why I put Brackins as an option

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
It's gotta be a guard...

Why do we have to redshirt a gaurd. The way I see it we will be very deep down low with Jiri, Wes, CJ, Thompson and Brackins. We need all the help that we can get in the backcourt so why redshirt any of them?

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
Why do we have to redshirt a gaurd. The way I see it we will be very deep down low with Jiri, Wes, CJ, Thompson and Brackins. We need all the help that we can get in the backcourt so why redshirt any of them?

I agree once Vette came to mind... but the reason I said guard was thinking in the future... we need to break up the guard class a bit.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Redshirting in basketball is almost extinct... I can guarantee you that no scholarship player will redshirt, it will kill recruiting.

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
sounds about right... Of the three getting votes... I think Vette could benefit his playing time in the long run because of it... and though I think Boozer could use it... you're right... he prolly doesn't want to and likely wont.

That being said... I "cardinal" shirt almost every day being that's all I own now having just graduated from ISU.

In fact... I think everybody needs to start "cardinal" shirting... especially game days.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
You came back from the dead! Maybe I just haven't been reading the threads you've been posting in as of late... but I haven't seen a post by you forever.

Ya man, i don't post much anymore...I guess I could credit the downtime of the year sports-wise. Not much is going on in the world of Cyclone sports, a little bit of recruiting here and there, but it's been kinda dead....I'm not really into the off-topic stuff on the sports site, but to each his own. With that said, I think it's gonna heat up pretty soon. And I shall be back :yes4lo:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Boozer... the kid has the ugliest shot Ive ever seen.

We should be ok at PG with Taylor, Garrett, and Brister

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
No one, due to the lack of scholarships in the future. We don't have any extra scholly's sitting around to burn an extra few this year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Are you suggesting redshirt jiri, wes, cj, thompson or brackins?

Not one of them has a good reason to, and Thompson can't even be considered because he used his redshirt year last year from transferring

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Nobody Should Redshirt

While redshirting in FB is common and makes sense because of the need for guys to add size & muscle, I think in MBB it should be done only in exceptional cases like the following:
  1. Someone the coaching staff projects to one day start, but may only get 5-10mpg because they are buried on the depth chart.
  2. Give a post kid another year for his strength/coordination to catch up with his height.
  3. Injury.
Looking at ISU's roster I don't see any reason to redshirt any incoming player. IMO a coach shouldn't recruit a guard that isn't ready to play. In the case of Brister & Boozer both went to prep schools, so if they aren't ready for Big 12 play by now- they never will be.

I would probably never redshirt a freshman in basketball- its to early to tell if they will be a starter. IMO its better to wait til their sophomore or junior year to redshirt them. Its a harsh reality, but redshirting someone like a Skoglund or Marsden just keeps a marginal player in your program longer. If a staff is worth their salt- they will feel they can recruit a better player.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Vette is the only one I can see redshirting. I agree that redshirting a guard doesn't make a lot of sense, but a post can always use the extra year of muscle. We also have enough depth there this year, and I think Vette could become a quality player there in the future. We also have not recruited any future big men yet, while we have at least two quality guards that will be coming in next year. I don't see any point in keeping a player who is not going to play much around for a year longer, which I think would be the case if we redshirted Brister or Boozer.

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
We should be ok at PG with Taylor, Garrett, and Brister

We won't be OK if Taylor is the point. We need him to score, and can't afford his TOs at point. If we have to use him there consistently, you can be we are in trouble. Don't agree?...read the long interview with Mac.