"A playbook is a mobius document"

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
-Tom Herman, Iowa State Offensive Coordinator.
After today's practice.

What would you say about a playbook?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What the **** is mobius?

This

Mobius%20Strip.jpg

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What the **** is mobius?

Jdewaard posted a picture of one - it's easy to make with a strip of paper. There's no beginning and no end to it - if you follow along the top side of the strip, follow it all the way around to the beginning point, you'll be tracing the bottom part of the same point. That's not easy to describe - kind of like a tangible infinity symbol.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Herman, if you're watching...

Next time go with "The playbook is:"

A. Schrodinger's Cat or
B. Chiaroscuro painting

It always amused me that Willem Dafoe's character in "The English Patient" was named Caravaggio - it was really transparent in the book, but especially in the movie when they kept putting him in dramatic lighting - we get it, it was supposed to be super-symbolic.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Him thinking a playbook is "mobius" tells me he thinks abstractly, and is creative. I can't wait to see what we get.... ever-evolving plays?... derivatives of themselves? Who knows?

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
Him thinking a playbook is "mobius" tells me he thinks abstractly, and is creative. I can't wait to see what we get.... ever-evolving plays?... derivatives of themselves? Who knows?

This!

To say that "it's all there" is misleading...motion, alignments, etc matter greatly. Tom downplayed that.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I would take it as him saying that no two plays are alike. There are so many variations of each play, the defense can never truly prepare itself. Granted, they can be in position to make a play, but they can never expect to see the same exact play twice. Just how I took it.