Anyone have a Computer Repair Recommendation in Central Iowa?

CyFanz

Apr 11, 2006
Have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop that won't power up. Have tried 2 different power supply cords and the colored light on the power supply "brick" goes out as soon as I plug the cord into the laptop. Geek Squad said they would need to send it to their Nashville facility to tear apart and fix and it could take 2 weeks. They suspect part of the power supply came loose and needs to be soldered but who knows until you tear it open. Looking for someone in the Des Moines area that can diagnose and fix at a reasonable rate. Thanks

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I used Repair.com in Altoona in the past. He seemed good and didnt charge too bad.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I've been using Josh West at Star Crossed Studios. I work in Ankeny - - I call him, he comes to my office and grabs my laptop, and returns it to me the next day, running faster and better than before!

I know the website doesn't detail his computer diagnostics work but he's been doing it for awhile, and I know a small business owner that also uses him for this type of work.

I give Josh 5 stars out of 5! :yes:

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
Just curious, how much do these places typically charge for repairs? I always assume quite a bit, and it's probably better to just go get a new laptop. I guess it depends on what type of laptop you have/need though.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Before you make any decisions, please give DYMIN Computers® a call. All Level 5 techs and above, custom design computers, Laptops, very affordable, professional and reliable service and sales. LINK ...free consults!

Last edited:

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Just curious, how much do these places typically charge for repairs? I always assume quite a bit, and it's probably better to just go get a new laptop. I guess it depends on what type of laptop you have/need though.

I used Star Crossed in January to pull all the files off my crashed 2-3 year old laptop. For $200 he recovered everything, and fixed the operating error. Some may call that expensive but it was well worth it for me. Some of the presentations I had created since the last backup took hours to make - $200 was well worth my time in NOT recreating!

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
FYI- Dont pay too much. Vostro's are dirt cheap and it may be more affordable to get a new one. The 1000 is a couple of years old now.

Reactions: egami

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I used Star Crossed in January to pull all the files off my crashed 2-3 year old laptop. For $200 he recovered everything, and fixed the operating error. Some may call that expensive but it was well worth it for me. Some of the presentations I had created since the last backup took hours to make - $200 was well worth my time in NOT recreating!

And this, friends, is why we backup our files. :wink:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron