New Track & Field Facility

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
In an other thread we speculated that a new Track & Field facility would be the next project for Iowa State, tunes out we were right. Iowa State sought approval from the Iowa board of Regents to begin planing a few facility. It would cost around $5 million and would (in theory) be built next year. Sorry, nothing about the end-zone.

See page 8
http://www2.state.ia.us/regents/Meetings/DocketMemos/09Memos/June/0609_ITEM10.pdf

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Probably a good idea, the ISU track is a dump. It is worse than most HS tracks.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
It looks like it will be completely privately funded according to that? Sweet. I wonder if they're gonna fix up the SW Athletic complex?

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
This may go over like a lead balloon, but shouldn't this money be going toward bowling in the south end zone? Wouldn't that be enjoyed by a lot more fans and do a lot for the football program and therefore the whole athletic department? Correct me if I'm missing something here.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
This may go over like a lead balloon, but shouldn't this money be going toward bowling in the south end zone? Wouldn't that be enjoyed by a lot more fans and do a lot for the football program and therefore the whole athletic department? Correct me if I'm missing something here.

I'm guessing if its funded privately, the donor(s) wanted it specifically for track and field.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

Allot of the money was donated to go to specifically to the Track & Field facility. The other issue is that we are not even remotely close to being able to build the S end-zone and are current track facility is in dire need. It makes more sense to spend the money now on improving our facilities, versus hording the money (which would amount to nothing compared to the total cost of the S. end-zone) so we can build a facility in 5-10 years.

It looks like it will be completely privately funded according to that? Sweet. I wonder if they're gonna fix up the SW Athletic complex?

It will likely be built across from the stadium, that is where JP wants to build the gateway complex which will hopefully include someday a softball, baseball, and aquatic center.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
You could be right CrossCyed and I hope that's the case, otherwise it would seem more logical to put that money toward the south end zone to make the Jack look like a Big 12 stadium for recruiting as much as the Iowa and Nebraska games.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
jaretec- Are you talking about the area east of the stadium for the gateway complex? Doesn't that area get flooded every few years from the Skunk River?

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
It will likely be built across from the stadium, that is where JP wants to build the gateway complex which will hopefully include someday a softball, baseball, and aquatic center.[/QUOTE]

Talk about dreaming.

....and, bowling in our stadium? riigghhttt......

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Jacobsen just donated another $5 million to ISU recently. I wonder if this is where the $$$ is coming from?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Talk about dreaming.

....and, bowling in our stadium? riigghhttt......

You accomplish exactly what again without having dreams? Oh yeah, nothing.

I'm interested to see what this facility looks like. $5 million is a lot of money you can put towards a track and field facility, especially when you know that you don't have to do anything too terribly special with Drake right down the road hosting anything remotely huge.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Jacobsen just donated another $5 million to ISU recently. I wonder if this is where the $$$ is coming from?
I don't think so. That $5M was for the Jacobson concourse at the football stadium I think. Although I saw **** Jacobson and Paul Rhodes at Splash one Wednesday night a month or so ago.

You accomplish exactly what again without having dreams? Oh yeah, nothing.

I'm interested to see what this facility looks like. $5 million is a lot of money you can put towards a track and field facility, especially when you know that you don't have to do anything too terribly special with Drake right down the road hosting anything remotely huge.

$5M won't go as far as one thinks especially if they have to acquire land. Even if they don't the surface alone can quickly add up, plus if they are doing it they really need to build enough seating and facilities to support the conference meet.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I assume the $5M is just a start - build the basics now, nice facilities and a high quality track. More frills can be added on later.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This 5 million was probably private funds that HAD to be used for track and field.

And as nice as bowling in the south endzone would look... it's not needed right now IMO. We wouldn't even be able to fill it, with the exception of the Iowa and Nebraska games. Sorry to say it folks, but the demand for more seating at Jack Trice is just not there yet. Now if Rhoads can string together some 6+ winning seasons, then we might have to consider it.