Useful products thread

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Safer to let the 5 yr old use a pizza cutter than a knife. Honestly, not really safe then either. He's a danger to all even with a spoon.

For pie crust - like if I'm doing a lattice or something fancy, pizza cutter is nice and easy.
The funny is only because of the spoon comment. My pie crusts I just slice a half dozen times with a knife, my pies aren't fancy but taste good.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My key FOB is awesome. Without it, my car would not start.

Ugh key fobs, how the car companies were able to take a component that you could have copied at a hardware store for $1 and turn it into a $500 replacement piece. But remote start is nice.

Reactions: cyfanatic

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Give Harry's a shot. I tried it for the first time after reading an article ranking the best ones available and I've been very impressed. I had always used clinical strength in the past but Harry's has been better.

View attachment 128934

I'm sure improvements have been made in 5-6 years since I looked. Back then though it was basically everything at Target or a drug store made my skin burn and caused skin tags, but all the "natural" stuff at health stores didn't work except this salt crystal thing.

I actually like the salt crystal in that it lasts half a decade, one less thing on the shopping list. It does work, it just doesn't quite last as long as you'd like sometimes. A few of the "all natural" I tried really didn't work at all.

Harry's razors really exposed what a scam Gillette was for decades. It's the same thing for 1/3 the price. If anybody is still using Gillette they're really throwing away money.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ugh key fobs, how the car companies were able to take a component that you could have copied at a hardware store for $1 and turn it into a $500 replacement piece. But remote start is nice.

One time I gave my key fob to the Toyota dealer for service and they broke it, completely shattered the thing. They gave me a $180 bill to replace it. I told them it wasn't broke when I gave it to them and they said it's just natural for them to break. The car was about 6 years old.

I just went with one key the rest of the time I owned the car because I refused to give them a dime for something they broke, obviously I never went back there for service or to buy another car. Luckily I had a lot of service options where I lived. Probably the most insane stupid customer service mistake I've ever encountered.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
For some reason they don't seem able to cut the entire diameter of the pie. The last outside 1/2 inch or so is still connected.

This seems to be universal, but Casey's is big with this.
Because the pizza cutter wheel is inferior to a knife. @BoomerClone pay attention.

If you start the pizza cutter outside the pizza, it's too difficult to go over the crust and at the inverse side you have a tendency to pull up near the end up your "slice". So they tend to look like the top right and end and/or start early. Thus not fully cutting the pizza.

That's why the downward force of a knife is way more useful. You will never need to go back and forth until the pizza is cut like you do with the wheel.

1715280474727.png

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
One time I gave my key fob to the Toyota dealer for service and they broke it, completely shattered the thing. They gave me a $180 bill to replace it. I told them it wasn't broke when I gave it to them and they said it's just natural for them to break. The car was about 6 years old.

I just went with one key the rest of the time I owned the car because I refused to give them a dime for something they broke, obviously I never went back there for service or to buy another car. Luckily I had a lot of service options where I lived. Probably the most insane stupid customer service mistake I've ever encountered.
Ugh. Throwing away a customer by asking you to pay the full price when they could have AT LEAST offered it at their cost and programmed it for you. Stupid.

Reactions: wxman1

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Because the pizza cutter wheel is inferior to a knife. @BoomerClone pay attention.

If you start the pizza cutter outside the pizza, it's too difficult to go over the crust and at the inverse side you have a tendency to pull up near the end up your "slice". So they tend to look like the top right and end and/or start early. Thus not fully cutting the pizza.

That's why the downward force of a knife is way more useful. You will never need to go back and forth until the pizza is cut like you do with the wheel.

View attachment 128938
And before anyone comments. Yes, it is a slow day at work.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I want to like these, because I have kind of a storage/organization fetish. But half the batteries will go dead before you use them. We have one at work, and have probably used 5 batteries in 5 years.

Probably its much better in a house with kids burning batteries up in their game controllers etc.

Fun fact - The large battery packs are designed to fold over the cardboard and the plastic tray slides back and forth. They are their own reusable storage.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
giphy.gif

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Should have paid the $180 then smashed their showroom window on the way out. "It's my understanding that it's natural for those to break."

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
On a lesser and more light-weight use. I find bread twist-ties handy in so many applications. Not those crappy plastic tab things, the ones with tiny wires inside.

I keep a little box of them in the pantry and it's surprising how many times I think, "Oh, a twistie tie will work perfectly for that."

The first thing I do with a new load of bread is throw away the twist tie and replace with one of these.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If you needed a pizza cutter for a delivered pizza, sounds like the pizza place didn't sharpen their pizza cutter enough.

2 things

If you’re waiting for a delivery driver, you’re doing it wrong. The pizza will be 30 minutes out of the oven by the time they get there. Go get that pizza.

The best pizza has a thick layer of cheese that is still liquid when they hand you the box. That cheese will solidify and stick back together eventually. So if you don’t cut it again, you’re going to pull off the toppings. This is not a problem with most chain pizza places, but the good places it is.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The first thing I do with a new load of bread is throw away the twist tie and replace with one of these.

I don't think I've ever put a twist tie back on a loaf of bread, spin and tuck 4 life.

Reactions: exCYtable

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Food Saver / Vacuum sealer - I never thought I'd use one but I borrowed one and now I use it all the time.
100 Piece Milwaukee Bit Set - It has almost every bit you'll ever need and most are quick connect
An air fryer that looks like a toaster oven with the fold down door and a removable basket. It gets used for everything. We had one of the other style ones and it sucked to use.
Pizza Cutter

Food saver - get a commercial one. Not significantly more expensive, but they will last a lot longer. And if you get the right style, you don’t need the special bags that cost a fortune with the ribbing on the inside

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
For some reason they don't seem able to cut the entire diameter of the pie. The last outside 1/2 inch or so is still connected.

This seems to be universal, but Casey's is big with this.
As a former Happy Joe's Pizza Maker(tm) I can confidently tell you the cause of the problem.

The giant, slightly curved knife that is used, if you don't "follow through" and roll the ends all the way to the cutting surface, then you will not cut that last 1/2 inch. The Casey's guy is in too much of a hurry and failing to use proper technique and follow through.
1715282519739.png

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron