Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I watched roughly half the game last night. It was not fun to watch. The Fever are brutal. They had the number 1 pick this year, the number 1 & 7 pick in 2023, and the 2, 4, & 6 picks in 2022, but it sure doesn't look like it. NY was way more talented last night. I didn't think Clark played bad, but she definitely didn't have a positive impact on the game. The WNBA has an issue. They have all these new people checking out the league, but Clark and the Fever aren't much fun to watch right now. I have a feeling some drama is on the horizon.
If I'm CC and the Fever doesn't get any better and keep their coach, I'm trying to find ways to move to one of the new expansion teams.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Since the NBA playoff game was later, I would have watched some of this if it was any opponent except the Fever.

Stewart and Ionescu are fun to watch. The skills of the other players kind of get lost in this circus.

To her credit, at least CC doesn’t appear to be blaming her coach and teammates yet that I have heard. Just fans that don’t seem to care anything about the league and didn’t watch before CC.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
Since the NBA playoff game was later, I would have watched some of this if it was any opponent except the Fever.

Stewart and Ionescu are fun to watch. The skills of the other players kind of get lost in this circus.

To her credit, at least CC doesn’t appear to be blaming her coach and teammates yet that I have heard. Just fans that don’t seem to care anything about the league and didn’t watch before CC.
read an article that the fans want the coach fired as she cant get clark her shots and bluder to be hired. also Clark is fouling too much and again that is the coach's fault.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
read an article that the fans want the coach fired as she cant get clark her shots and bluder to be hired. also Clark is fouling too much and again that is the coach's fault.
Lots of pressure on the Fever organization. It will be interesting to see how they handle it. The team isn’t very good right now and Clark can’t dominate like she did in college. Drama is likely coming.

One interesting observation from the parts of two games I watched was that several of the fouls called on Clark were very ticky tacky and they were called early in the game. It seemed like the refs were sending a message to her. Almost like the didn’t like all the attention given to her or maybe they didn’t like her antics with refs in college. I thought it took some balls given how many of the fans were there mostly to see her.

It really has been a **** show for the WNBA and I can’t see it getting better.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'll say it again...

1. I don't know enough about past Women's college players to say if CC is the definitive GOAT or not, but I don't think anybody would disagree she's at least Top 5 all time, if not the GOAT.
  2. I think people had a false assumption that she would hit her peak right out of the gate in the WNBA.
  3. She will get better and adjust to the play, and she'll have a good or great career.
  4. I don't think she'll be the WNBA version of Jordan or Curry that fundamentally changes the game, but she will get better.
  5. Those that are already saying the team is failing in not getting her shots is forgetting the whole point of a team sport. At Iowa, their sole mission was to get the ball in her hands every moment possible. In the WNBA, the ball will spread across the players much more. The defense will be much better. The other players won't be intimidated by her. She will get called for more fouls.
  6. Anybody calling her a bust based on a few initial games is delusional.
  7. A part (don't know how big of one) of what made CC so seemingly dominant in college is she absolutely maximized her shots, but also was a master at media attention, social media, cockiness, etc in a way that made her stand out more than probably anybody in CBB (Women's or Men's) before.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I'll say it again...

1. I don't know enough about past Women's college players to say if CC is the definitive GOAT or not, but I don't think anybody would disagree she's at least Top 5 all time, if not the GOAT.
  2. I think people had a false assumption that she would hit her peak right out of the gate in the WNBA.
  3. She will get better and adjust to the play, and she'll have a good or great career.
  4. I don't think she'll be the WNBA version of Jordan or Curry that fundamentally changes the game, but she will get better.
  5. Those that are already saying the team is failing in not getting her shots is forgetting the whole point of a team sport. At Iowa, their sole mission was to get the ball in her hands every moment possible. In the WNBA, the ball will spread across the players much more. The defense will be much better. The other players won't be intimidated by her. She will get called for more fouls.
  6. Anybody calling her a bust based on a few initial games is delusional.
  7. A part (don't know how big of one) of what made CC so seemingly dominant in college is she absolutely maximized her shots, but also was a master at media attention, social media, cockiness, etc in a way that made her stand out more than probably anybody in CBB (Women's or Men's) before.
She had hard time getting her shots off. He is a good passer so he will turn into a good PG.

Last edited:

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Lots of pressure on the Fever organization. It will be interesting to see how they handle it. The team isn’t very good right now and Clark can’t dominate like she did in college. Drama is likely coming.

One interesting observation from the parts of two games I watched was that several of the fouls called on Clark were very ticky tacky and they were called early in the game. It seemed like the refs were sending a message to her. Almost like the didn’t like all the attention given to her or maybe they didn’t like her antics with refs in college. I thought it took some balls given how many of the fans were there mostly to see her.

It really has been a **** show for the WNBA and I can’t see it getting better.

I have not watched a second of the games but if what you are saying is true most of these same officials did her college games and MAYBE it is some make up for the thousands of calls she got in her favor in college but more likely it is the change in how WNBA games are officiated. I do watch NBA games and have no idea what is and isn't a foul in their playoff games.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
She kinda sucks.

She doesn’t suck but in basketball (men’s or women’s) for someone that doesn’t have elite athleticism combined with elite physical biology the ceiling is lowered. It’s the one sport where that combination is more important than any other, even football. Just because the number of players on the floor combined with the “positionless” aspect of the game. ie a “center” in basketball can take and make 3’s effectively, “guards” can dunk and score inside effectively, whereas in football a center cant do what a QB does. A QB can’t do what a LB does. At best a few elite elite players like Lamar Jackson can throw tds, run for tds, and with the proper training could be a pretty good return man, receiver, or corner.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Saw this posted on another (cough, choke, puke) forum:

Washington moving to 20,356 seat arena to accommodate Caitlin. Las Vegas moving to 20,000 seat arena. Atlanta moving to 17,000 seat arena.​

Will this be necessary by the time those games roll around?

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
If I'm CC and the Fever doesn't get any better and keep their coach, I'm trying to find ways to move to one of the new expansion teams.
Ohhhh …, you jus f**kin wait, the league will do anything and everything to make her relevant including getting her onto one of the 2 or3 teams that can win a title. Has she REALLY ever won a championship anywhere? NO !

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Saw this posted on another (cough, choke, puke) forum:

Washington moving to 20,356 seat arena to accommodate Caitlin. Las Vegas moving to 20,000 seat arena. Atlanta moving to 17,000 seat arena.​

Will this be necessary by the time those games roll around?

It’s going to be a surprise to many that people have been seeing “logo 3’s” for like the past decade from Steph Curry and everyone is over it and peopke want to see players like Giannis and Wemby doing their thing and a guy from Serbia playing a unique throwback highly mental game.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
It’s going to be a surprise to many that people have been seeing “logo 3’s” for like the past decade from Steph Curry and everyone is over it and peopke want to see players like Giannis and Wemby doing their thing and a guy from Serbia playing a unique throwback highly mental game.
I hadn't considered the fact that those tickets may already be sold, but it may parallel Hoks men's BB in that the butts won't be in the seats

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hadn't considered the fact that those tickets may already be sold, but it may parallel Hoks men's BB in that the butts won't be in the seats

Gotta factor in the ticket mills as well. Those tickets would have been super valuable if she had come out and dominated. Now they are going to be like $5. Pretty low risk though since they weren’t that expensive in the first place. Same thing is happening to the Dead &Co at The Sphere but those tickets weren’t cheap to begin with.