*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Interesting post. Did anyone catch the first two tidbits there in the link?

Even if the WV poster you linked does have inside info, 90% chance nothing he mentioned actually happens.

I guess I don't agree that there is only a 10% chance WVU plays in the Big XII next season.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I guess I don't agree that there is only a 10% chance WVU plays in the Big XII next season.

Sorry- I meant on the other 2 things. The new Georgetown-Nova BB conference and ND to the B12.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Of course, right now 3rd tier rights lie with the individual schools, not the conference.

Question is, how many contracts would need to be broken/bought out in order for that to happen? LHN is considered 3rd tier provider for UT FB (idk about MBB designation). Most other current Big 12 schools have or are making CloneZone-like internet subscription services that are considered 3rd tier/2nd tier networks (I would certainly agree that those deals could be dealt with). I just don't see UT giving up that certain $15M (or was it $20M) per year from ESPN - need that NBC contract to exceed that.

UT could keep LHN and televise 3rd tier FB games from Austin that they hold the rights to (and which have been passed on by 1st and 2nd tier providers). All other 3rd tier FB games could be shown on NBC Sports Net.

For MBB, 1st tier provider could be NBC; 2nd tier provider NBC Sports Net; 3rd tier provider CTN/CZ and other school specific outlets.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
This is interesting from Kirk Bohls...This TV money is causing an extreme gulf between BCS conferences teams and non-BCS conference teams. Will it eventually lead to a split?

9 things and 1 crazy prediction for this week

The NCAA should rethink its decision to table a plan giving athletes an annual $2,000 stipend. It will re-address the issue this month.At least 125 schools have sought to overturn the initial decision to allow those payments. Too many smaller, less financially stable Division I schools will fight it, and understandably so. Many big schools so strongly favor the idea that this type of decision could lead to a fracture within the NCAA and a breakoff of powerhouse schools and conferences to form their own association.
I'm not predicting this will be the death of the NCAA, but it is the type of issue that separates many of the schools in terms of priorities.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Looks like we're hitting the home stretch. Less than 800 posts to go. Quick, someone state a controversial opinion on whether or not a plane could take off from a treadmill.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Interesting post. Did anyone catch the first two tidbits there in the link?

Even if the WV poster you linked does have inside info, 90% chance nothing he mentioned actually happens.

There may be a real possibility of the following happening or something close to it:

1) ND and the Big East BB-only schools splinter away from the Big East and create a new 10 team conference for all sports except FB: ND, Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul plus Xavier and Dayton.

2) ND creates a scheduling alliance with the B12 for FB while remaining independent. A reasonable number would be 4 games/year with ND playing Texas in an annual rivalry game at season's end to replace A&M. Both schools have been in discussion for this annual game for some time now.

3) The B12 remains at 10 schools with a 9 game conference FB schedule with 4 of the schools (including UT) playing ND in non-conference games.

4) The two conferences would be under the control of one commish and the 20 schools negotiate new TV deals for FB, MBB and WBB as one unit providing additional leverage.

You had better believe NBC, who is dying for content, would pay huge bucks for that package of ND home games, at least 2 ND road non-con games at B12 schools, premium B12 conference games, Texas-OU FB, Texas-ND FB, B12 MBB/WBB, the MBB/WBB games of the private BE schools (plus X and Dayton) and non-conference BB games between the B12 and the BE privates.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
This is interesting from Kirk Bohls...This TV money is causing an extreme gulf between BCS conferences teams and non-BCS conference teams. Will it eventually lead to a split?

9 things and 1 crazy prediction for this week

The NCAA should rethink its decision to table a plan giving athletes an annual $2,000 stipend. It will re-address the issue this month.At least 125 schools have sought to overturn the initial decision to allow those payments. Too many smaller, less financially stable Division I schools will fight it, and understandably so. Many big schools so strongly favor the idea that this type of decision could lead to a fracture within the NCAA and a breakoff of powerhouse schools and conferences to form their own association.
I'm not predicting this will be the death of the NCAA, but it is the type of issue that separates many of the schools in terms of priorities.

I wouldn't predict this being the death of the NCAA either - it would probably be more similar to the original DI-A/DI-AA split several decades ago.

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
Did Mizzoulander really get the ban-hammer !!!! YIPPIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, what's wrong with the mods? Why the hell did it take so long ?

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Looks like the C-USA and Mountain West merger may happen for all sports. They're also talking about adding Temple and Florida International. Right now they're scheduled to have 17 committed teams (8 from Mtn West and 9 from C-USA), but if the Big East decides to go to 12, they'll probably take at least Memphis from that group.

There are a few good schools out there for a 20 team C-USA/Mtn West conference. LA Tech, Utah State, San Jose State, North Texas would also be good adds if they lose some teams to the Big East. Split into 2 divisions of 10 and they'll be heads and shoulders above the rest when it comes to non-AQ conferences.

Analysis: U of M expansion door may not be closed »

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Looks like the C-USA and Mountain West merger may happen for all sports. They're also talking about adding Temple and Florida International. Right now they're scheduled to have 17 committed teams (8 from Mtn West and 9 from C-USA), but if the Big East decides to go to 12, they'll probably take at least Memphis from that group.

There are a few good schools out there for a 20 team C-USA/Mtn West conference. LA Tech, Utah State, San Jose State, North Texas would also be good adds if they lose some teams to the Big East. Split into 2 divisions of 10 and they'll be heads and shoulders above the rest when it comes to non-AQ conferences.

Analysis: U of M expansion door may not be closed »

For the good of all FBS schools, they should add the WAC and reorganize divisions before they start adding Sun Belt schools. The Sun Belt is not great by any means but it's at least stable. The WAC is on death's door.

Adding Temple does help. I'm positive champions from this merger will emerge as the new BCS busters. Southern Miss was no slouch this year. Nevada has had some quality teams recently.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
For the good of all FBS schools, they should add the WAC and reorganize divisions before they start adding Sun Belt schools. The Sun Belt is not great by any means but it's at least stable. The WAC is on death's door.

Adding Temple does help. I'm positive champions from this merger will emerge as the new BCS busters. Southern Miss was no slouch this year. Nevada has had some quality teams recently.

You know a conference is really bad when its stable and the reason is because nobody wants any of your teams.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Seriously, just get Louisville now and play with 11 teams. (Much like the little 10 when they added PSU and played that way for years.) IMO, Louisville in inevitable.

"It is inevitable Mr. Anderson."

1034455-446358_agent_smith_poses04_super_super.jpg

Heck, I might have posted this some thousand pages ago too. Who knows with this freaking huge thread.

Reactions: CloneFan03

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Did Greg Swaim also claim that BYU to Big 12 was a done deal?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Seriously, just get Louisville now and play with 11 teams. (Much like the little 10 when they added PSU and played that way for years.) IMO, Louisville in inevitable.

"It is inevitable Mr. Anderson."

1034455-446358_agent_smith_poses04_super_super.jpg

Heck, I might have posted this some thousand pages ago too. Who knows with this freaking huge thread.

I wouldnt have a problem with that. With 9 teams a year, you'd miss 1 team a year. Not a huge deal. Put in a couple 'protected' games to make sure certain games always happen (like OU-OSU, OU-UT) and rotate the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.