Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Pit Boss is built a lot cheaper than a Traeger. Mt BIL is on his third PB in like 7 years.

I bought my PitBoss 1100 (the big one) at least 4 years ago when they were discounted at Menards ($600?) and have had zero issues. It's built like a tank. Would buy one again.

I use it exclusively as a smoker and contain my meats on a tray so I never let juices/fat drip down into the machine. Takes very little maintenance to keep it running flawlessly.

Here I had it in peak use, 4 pork butts at once.

1715016774190.png

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Like most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to smokers. You really have to balance how much you want to spend, how you plan on treating it (garage or left outside), type of smoker, etc.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Wait, what? You can't use a charcoal grill on your deck?
Correct. The Condo buildings, in our case, are three levels with decks facing the lake. No open flames are allowed which includes charcoal ie: several reasons: excess lighter fluid, teenagers, renters/alcohol. So, the decks are under the roof of the building or under the above deck. Some of the Condo complexes along with the cities have banned gas grills. I have an electric smoker and I expect owners will want to keep their gas grill and convert it to electric.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Like most things in life, you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to smokers. You really have to balance how much you want to spend, how you plan on treating it (garage or left outside), type of smoker, etc.
Agreed.

If you keep it outside, make sure you have a cover for it. Also, clean it regularly to shop vac out the pellet dust. I clean mine about twice a month (especially after a long smoke).

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

09clone

Dec 28, 2023
Check out Camp Chef, which is also carried at Sports Men's and Bass Pro to see what they have for smokers. You can go to their website and checkout the Outlet section. They do have the Smoke Vault 24" smoker that uses propane along with being able to burn wood chips/chunks. A guy at work has made some great stuff on his. This smoker would really address your space requirement.
Camp Chef pellet smokers are great. I have had one for 6 years. High quality build and customer service is fantastic.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
100% Accurate. If I hadn't been gifted a BGE, I'm not sure it would be my first choice at least as an entry to smoking. The thing is an absolute beast but is completely manual. I'm sitting by the egg for the first 2 hours or so just to make sure I've got vents open to where they should be and the charcoal/wood are burning how they should, spinning the egg so my vents are hitting the wind the way I want...it's just super time consuming. Being said, I have seldom been disappointed with anything that's come off my egg.

Reactions: BACyclone

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I'd like to get my husband a grill/smoker for Father's Day. I've looked at a lot of options, but it's a bit overwhelming.

I'd prefer it not take up too much room (storage is at a premium).
Open to charcoal or wood/pellets.
Prefer to stay under $400.

Any recommendations?

Basic smoker question you got asked yourself is, how much effort does your husband want to put into cooking to get BBQ? Does he want something that is set it and forget or does he want to take the time to learn proper fire management for BBQ? The answer to that question will lead you towards which smoker to get.

Something that I haven’t seen mentioned yet when it comes to the build quality of the smoker is to examine its door. Does it fully close leaving no air gaps so heat and smoke can’t escape? Is the door heavy? Thicker the metal, the easier the smoker will stay at its temperature while using less fuel. If the door feels flimsy, it most definitely is, and is probably made cheaply.

Just adding some things to consider.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
The "charcoal snake" method from America's Test Kitchen looks really interesting. It is a lot of work for the brisket, but I bet it could be modified for cuts that do not take as long.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd like to get my husband a grill/smoker for Father's Day. I've looked at a lot of options, but it's a bit overwhelming.

I'd prefer it not take up too much room (storage is at a premium).
Open to charcoal or wood/pellets.
Prefer to stay under $400.

Any recommendations?
That price point gets you a brand new Weber Smokey Mountain. They stand the test of time.
You can add a vent controller down the line but Webers hold heat pretty steady.

IMO grills have always been a "you get what you pay for."

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I bought my PitBoss 1100 (the big one) at least 4 years ago when they were discounted at Menards ($600?) and have had zero issues. It's built like a tank. Would buy one again.

I use it exclusively as a smoker and contain my meats on a tray so I never let juices/fat drip down into the machine. Takes very little maintenance to keep it running flawlessly.

View attachment 128771

Can I be your friend? I'll bring beer.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

View attachment 128771
How much longer does this take vs doing one? Also, I’ve always been against doing them on a pan like that thinking they wouldn’t get enough smoke, this untrue?

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
Anyone try jerky 100% on the smoker? Wondering how it turned out. A lot of the recipes I looked at were a combination of smoker and dehydrator.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anyone try jerky 100% on the smoker? Wondering how it turned out. A lot of the recipes I looked at were a combination of smoker and dehydrator.
The only way I make jerky is on the smoker. I just use a marinade off the shelf along with some Prague powder #1.

Probably going to put on my marinating pork shoulder on the smoker tomorrow. Been in the fridge for 9 days . Hope it turns out.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. There was a lot of really good info in this thread.

I think I'll probably end up going with the one in the link below. Mostly because I can get it assembled and delivered (ain't nobody got time or space in my car for that).

We will likely store it in the garage when we're not using it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. There was a lot of really good info in this thread.

I think I'll probably end up going with the one in the link below. Mostly because I can get it assembled and delivered (ain't nobody got time or space in my car for that).

We will likely store it in the garage when we're not using it.
Make sure the hubs does a "burn in" before using. Gets the factory oils off of it.

When I did a burn in of my recently purchased smoker I also sprayed interior with avocado oil and then wiped down the exterior with a motorcycle anti corrosion spray (ACF-50).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Friday
Eye of Round from Costco 5 1/2 lbs
Freeze 2 hours before slicing
Slice against the grain
PS Seasoning/cracked pepper. Mix in metal bowl, then ziploc

Saturday 175 for 3 hours in smoker

• Informative
Reactions: jbclone10 and MJ29

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I smoke jerky on my Trager and then finish it in the oven. Turns out great.

Reactions: jbclone10

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
How much longer does this take vs doing one? Also, I’ve always been against doing them on a pan like that thinking they wouldn’t get enough smoke, this untrue?

Great question!

Doing 4 butts absolutely took longer. Although I did a single butt on Sunday and I had to rush it (higher heat than I normally run to finish it) to get it done in 12-13 hours, including butcher paper wrap at 160F IT. It still turned out amazing though.

The 4 butts at once picture -- it was a couple years ago so I am going off memory -- I think one of them was done around normal time (~12 hours) but at least two of them took about 16 hours or more, and again I think at the end I was like "THIS IS ENOUGH" and I cranked up the heat to git-r-dun. It was significantly longer than normal. I was smoking for a big event so that's really the reason for that situation.

Normally I try to do two butts at once since smoking just one thing seems like a wasted opportunity -- eat one and put the other in the freezer. And two butts, or one butt plus some chicken or whatever -- that's no extra time at all.

Smoking on the pan -- as you can see I bought pans with grates in them so I can keep airflow going all around the meat still. I spray the grates and pan with non-stick oil and put parchment paper on pan to try to ease clean-up. Cleaning those grates is THE WORST JOB but I figure it's far better than greasing up my pellet grill.

1715096360932.png

I've never been disappointed with the smoke flavor I get, but with a pellet grill I think you do naturally get slightly less than a true smoker. I did buy a smoke tube but I've never taken the time to try it out. Now I just use Mesquite pellets (with a little Pecan or Cherry or Apple) for everything but chicken to try to naturally get the smoke flavor up.

Here's an image of the pulled pork from that same 4-butt day:

1715096169999.png

Here are a couple different briskets, one has an awesome smoke ring on the flat, the other a little less:

1715096249494.png

1715096269684.png

Last edited:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
That price point gets you a brand new Weber Smokey Mountain. They stand the test of time.
You can add a vent controller down the line but Webers hold heat pretty steady.

IMO grills have always been a "you get what you pay for."

My WSM is going on 15 years old now. I finally replaced the door a few months ago, and replaced the thermometer last year. Those were kinda by choice as the others were still working.

It's a great smoker. I have upgraded to a fan and controller, which makes it a little more hands off. But right out of the box is a great smoker.